MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A new project (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18810)

Tim Lovelock 16-07-12 02:20

A new project

Hi, I'm Tim and I've just bought a "Blitz". I've loved their pugnacious beauty ever since making the Tamiya kit as a kid. Well, it's taken a divorce and early retirement to realise my dream. Great things come to those that wait.
Well, what is she? This is what I know. Apparently she landed in Brisbane in 1942. After "army" service she was sold to the South Australian Country Fire Service. After that she was bought by a fellow who replaced the Chev motor with a Ford straight six and auto transmission, hence the extended front end.
I haven't located any data plates as yet or other serial numbers. But hopefully a letter or two to the fire service might aid my enquiries.
A manual is the next thing as well as getting her inside to work.
A friend of mine is going to guide me in the right direction as he is a semi retired mechanic. Another friend is allowing me the use of her generously sized shed. (might have to marry her to inherit the shed!!).
I'm living on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria, Aus. So I would be interested to meet with anyone who shares this passion.
Well guess that's an introduction. Kind regards Tim
ps. Haven't rubbed anything back as yet, but beneath the pealing red paint on the interior there appears to be a "sandy" or "beige" colour. Would this be undercoat or a desert colour or is it just too early or impossible to tell? My fancy is a desert theme! Perhaps it's wishful thinking.

Keith Webb 16-07-12 03:21

Your Blitz

Hi Tim

Congratulations on owning a blitz! If it is an Australian assembled Chev cab 13, the chassis number will be stamped on the left front chassis rail. The data plates are normally located on top of the dash and sometimes on the engine cover, and will have a "WO" number denoting the original body type.
As for paint colour, khaki green fades to a sandy colour, so it is unlikely it saw desert service, yet that remains to be seen!
Are you planning to restore her with the original type of motor and gearbox?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Lovelock (Post 167753)
Hi, I'm Tim and I've just bought a "Blitz". I've loved their pugnacious beauty ever since making the Tamiya kit as a kid. Well, it's taken a divorce and early retirement to realise my dream. Great things come to those that wait.
Well, what is she? This is what I know. Apparently she landed in Brisbane in 1942. After "army" service she was sold to the South Australian Country Fire Service. After that she was bought by a fellow who replaced the Chev motor with a Ford straight six and auto transmission, hence the extended front end.
I haven't located any data plates as yet or other serial numbers. But hopefully a letter or two to the fire service might aid my enquiries.
A manual is the next thing as well as getting her inside to work.
A friend of mine is going to guide me in the right direction as he is a semi retired mechanic. Another friend is allowing me the use of her generously sized shed. (might have to marry her to inherit the shed!!).
I'm living on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria, Aus. So I would be interested to meet with anyone who shares this passion.
Well guess that's an introduction. Kind regards Tim
ps. Haven't rubbed anything back as yet, but beneath the pealing red paint on the interior there appears to be a "sandy" or "beige" colour. Would this be undercoat or a desert colour or is it just too early or impossible to tell? My fancy is a desert theme! Perhaps it's wishful thinking.

Tim Lovelock 16-07-12 06:23

Hi Keith,
Now thats a name I recognise from the many times I've visited oldcmp.net.

Thanks for contacting me, much appreciated.

I do plan on returning her to her former glory or near to as possible. Although I guess I have considered throwing out convention and build her to a 'wartime' example of possibly a North African campaign vehicle. Yet to be seen.

No engine cover and as yet no numbers. When you say stamped on the chassis rail, would it be obvious?

Yes it is my intention to place an original engine and gearbox.

I'm still acquanting myself with the nuances of this site, so am attempting to upload pictures.

Thanks again Keith.

Tim Lovelock 16-07-12 06:52

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Keith, Here are a few images that may help with identification, thanks Tim

Keith Webb 16-07-12 06:58

Images

Hmmmm I can certainly see some things you might like to throw out!

The dash has had the later military instrumentation 'upgrade'. I think I need to see more pictures to be helpful to you.

Tim Lovelock 16-07-12 06:59

5 Attachment(s)
A few more pics.

Tim Lovelock 16-07-12 07:05

5 Attachment(s)
last few pics

Tim Lovelock 16-07-12 07:13

Ford vs Chev

Hi Keith, The bits I'm throwing out wouldn't include the Ford motor would they? I see you seem to be a Ford man!!

At a glance the thing that strikes me is the reinforced chassis rail. The patched up and cut roof above rear window.

The wooden handle lever near the passenger seat.

The switch for swapping fuel tanks.

I will call shortly for a chat.

Cheers Tim

hrpearce 16-07-12 09:32

Hi Tim you have a C15A sunshine roof Euan McDonald has a nicelly restored one. Mine was one but I replaced the cab top with a hatch one. Welcome. :cheers:

Keith Webb 16-07-12 09:42

Pics

I hadn't seen the first batch for some reason until now. Robert is indeed correct, a C15A with sunshine roof, a very cool (literally in winter) thing to have.

The most likely original body option is an Australian No2 type such as this example:

http://oldcmp.net/Images/reference/refc15a.jpg

Keith Webb 16-07-12 09:45

Data plate

You can see where that has been removed from the top of your dash by some uncaring souvenir hunter:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/at...9&d=1342415058

The chassis is not only plated for it's length, but also you have lost the very rear of the chassis too. As I mentioned on the phone, the reason you can't see the chassis number is it is behind one of the reinforcing plates.

Tim Lovelock 16-07-12 11:01

Thanks Robert & Keith, very much appreciate the information.
The B&W photo looks neat. I think I could live with a Sunshine roof.
I was thinking after our conversation Keith if it might be feasable to remove part of the reinforcing plate in the area where the chassis number would be?
The plate is welded along the top and bottom of the chassis rail. Cutting out a window around the point of the serial number giving sufficient clearance may be an answer, I guess as long as they are all in a similar position.
I appreciate yours and Roberts input thus far. Cheers Tim

hrpearce 16-07-12 11:20

Tim, I just went through my photos and I haven't taken one of the chassis number. I'll be over at Mum's tomorrow so will take a photo and post tomorrow night to give you an idea where to look. :cheers:

Tim Lovelock 16-07-12 12:17

Hi Robert, Thx, I appreciate it. I'll check back tomorrow. Cheers Tim

hrpearce 17-07-12 09:20

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Tim attached are the photos I took this morning, I added one of my data plate also. :cheers:

Tim Lovelock 17-07-12 13:58

Hi Robert, Thx for the pics. I checked out my truck again today and because of the reinforcing plate (probably a fire service addition), I dont think it is feasable to remove the plate as it is welded the length of the chassis. I think I may have to send some letters away and attempt to trace its origines through the fire service or SA road authority as I have a number plate.
Thanks for your efforts though.
Cheers Tim