MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Silver memorium Statue (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14430)

rob love 14-03-10 17:36

Silver memorium Statue

2 Attachment(s)
As my location moniker would suggest, I am once again wintering in sunny (but dusty) Kandahar airfield again. Those of us who have been out here know about the Satuday market held here on KAF where the locals sell various bits and bobbles. Most of it is mass produced jinglies from China, India, or Afghanistan, but occasionally something unique comes up. This last Saturday, one of the locals had this memorial silver statue to sell, standing amidst the usual fake WW1 sextants, compasses and telescopes. It is of a WW1 British Captain, and there are silversmiths marks on the officer's boot, on the base below him, and on the plaque.

The plaque says:
Presented to the officers of the 2nd Battalion
Green Howards
In memory of Lieutenant KR Henderson, MC
1915-1922
by his Parents

One has to wonder how it would have been released from the unit's Officers Mess silver collection, and how it found it's way to Afghanistan.

Internet service here is pretty crappy, and often, due to our IP address, we get filtered off a bunch of sites. So any research as to the story behind this officer will have to wait until I get home in a few months. Does anyone have any suggestions where to start looking?

Paul Singleton 14-03-10 23:20

Statue

Hi Rob, I found this on Google. If you can't open it where you are I can post the relevent bits here.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/c...itish-officers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroom

Apparently three British Officers and a Private were kidnapped and executed in Macroom in Ireland in 1922 during the civil war. One of the officers was Lieutenant K. R. Henderson.

Paul

rob love 15-03-10 03:58

Thanks Paul. My googling here could not find any of the information you have shown. I was able to open both your links. I am pretty positive that will be the officer to whom the statue was in memory of.

I sent an e-mail to the Green Howards museum asking them what info they had, but I know museums like these get thousands of such requests for information every year, and cannot answer all of them.

The statue itself is a beautiful piece on it's own right. I likely paid too much for it, but it was just so unique I had to have it. This bit of history to go with it certainly makes it all the more special.

malcolm erik bogaert 15-03-10 13:30

silver memorial

with regard to your email to the Green Howards Museum if your mark your mail for attention of RO1 it should get priority...best regards and good find...malcolm :thup2:

rob love 15-03-10 15:36

I read through more of the parliamentary records, and the kidnapping and subsequent execution of the 3 officers and their driver were brought up quite a bit for the next while in parliament. There were questions as to whether the Officers involved were merely joyriding, going out for lunch, or on official duty. There were also queries as to why there was not an immediate armed raid on the castle where the 4 were reported to be held. Apparently the father of Lt Henderson also sent a letter to one of the major papers wanting answers.

There was the usual political posturing back and forth about what happened. It all makes very interesting reading. A fellow by the name of Churchill seems to have been required to do a lot of the answering.

I emailed the Green Howards museum last night and was surprised to see a response today from a Captain Appleyard, with the Green Howards HQ. He sent me an attachment where apparently someone from the British Military Liaison Office in the British Embassy (Kabul) had also sent a query about this same statue. Apparently a local provided photos of it, and wanted to repatriate (sell) it. The commission member wanted to know if it was worth recovering. Apparently, they did not as it found it's way south to our local market. The commission was also intrigued about how it found it's way to here.

Information provided in that attachment included:
Quote:

Lieutenant Kenneth Robert Henderson MC. He won his MC in the Russian Campaign with the 6th Bn on the Archangel Front. The Military Cross was awarded in the London Gazette with the following notice: “He has carried out the duties of a Company Commander of a mixed force at Bolshe-Ozerki and has worked in a very efficient way. He has had continuous service on this front since November 1918 and in the four engagements in which his company has taken part he has proved o be a fearless and good leader of men”.

Captured and murdered by Irish rebels at Macroom, Co Cork, 27th April 1922. It was only ascertained some twenty months later that he in company with two other officers, ( Pte Brooks may well have been the driver) had left Ballincollig on duty, were captured near Macroom, and after a mockery of a Court Martial, were sentenced to death. They were shot at once after they had been ordered to dig their own graves, which they refused to do. The bodies were recovered, and Henderson’s funeral took place at Aldershot with military honours on the 14th December 1923.

When I emailed the museum, I asked about how such an item may have found it's way out of the Officer's silver collection and into local Afghanistan hands. I did not get a reply to that query, so the mystery continues. Perhaps it was in the British embassy when the Taliban over ran it back in the 70s? More to follow on that subject I hope.

malcolm erik bogaert 15-03-10 21:46

silver statue

Rob make sure you keep your wallet in your pocket as I believe my own local regiment is in Camp Roberts at the moment ROYAL SCOTS BORDERERS them lads can drink a river dry...best regards/stay lucky...malcolm :note: