MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   2020 at the Hammond Barn (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31161)

Bob Carriere 04-05-20 04:19

2020 at the Hammond Barn

All this isolation drives one to do silly things.......

Used the spare time to finally assemble all the loose parts I have been collecting into a "rotisserie".......

Started by buying a full set of plans from Red Wings on Ebay...... good basic information and viable design....... but I started tosee other models on U tube and Ebay and some features were interesting others outright dangerous.......

So from basic plans....some limitations due to skills levels...... and much discussion with Grant I have finished a sturdy rotisserie that will BBQ a decent size CMP.......... first project will be restoration of one 2B1 cargo box.

The device incorporates a screw drive gear box (60:1) from the Steam Guy, huge pillow blocks that came from a discarded jeep engined generator frame from Jason, long bottle jacks from Princess and tons of 2x2 and 2.5x2.5 trailer square tubing with 1/4 in. walls. Tires/rims from my neighbors garbage that matched the axle stubs from Princess 5 x 4 1/2 in.

It will swing 90 inches and I am using a wrench to turn the gears but it is fitted to take the 1/2 inch impact air gun when loaded. It will adjust for lenght. Further adjustments are made by means of a 3/4 in grade 8 threaded rod form our local fabricator shop.

Will cannibalize the rear section of a badly rusted 15 cwt frame to be the base of the cargo box to be rebuilt.

Took a lot of Mig Welding wire and the current price of steel is unbelievable..... fortunately most of my steel had been purchased 2 years ago. I have yet to install a tow ring that will allow me to lift one end with the tractor and move it around as a trailer.

Now for the peetures!!!!! ....may have to split them in two sets.....

Cheers

Ooops having token issues....will try again...

Bob Carriere 04-05-20 04:21

Peektures.......

3 Attachment(s)
They were all down sized but five may have been too much.....

Bob Carriere 04-05-20 04:29

lets do it again....

3 Attachment(s)
Here goes..................

Bob Carriere 04-05-20 04:36

The gear head....

2 Attachment(s)
....................................bottle jack lifts 23 inches and the threaded rod another 23 inches.

Phil Waterman 04-05-20 13:14

Now that is a rotisserie

Hi Bob

That is a rotisserie, what will be the first project to go on it?

Cheers Phil

Bob Carriere 04-05-20 18:06

Hanno.........

..... can we have a sticky for the barn dated 2020........ and start it with the rotisserie.

Thank you

Bob Carriere 04-05-20 18:33

Looking for a big steer to BBQ......

Hi Phil

Hoping you and your family are doing OK with all this covid crisis.......

My first project will be to restore a 2B1 cargo box for my cab 11. I have 3 boxes that are rusted beyond use but will serve as great pattern......one is assumed 1940 the other 2 are from 1942 cab 12 and even in that short time the assembly and some fixtures are slightly different and all three have different overall size by at least 1/4 inch.

I am hoping to use the better one with a solid diamond plate floor and fender wells and rebuild the head board and rigid and folding side panels. We have one battered tailgate out of the 3 but a good model.

On closer examination of the box we found that a lot of smaller parts where eventually welded in sub unit than into full sides so reproducing on a small brake should be possible. The tailgate and head board will need to be done in a local fabricator shop using an 8 foot hydraulic brake....... the rest is just MIG welding. Price of steel has skyrocketed since the Covid crisis and delivery of stock is a "sometimes' next week to ten days as opposed to 2 or 3 days turn around time and cost almost double from 2 years ago.

For the above reason we may experiment with using one guage size thinner than original....will save $$ and weight and our trucks will never be overloaded like they would do on Australian farms with stacks of feed bags.

On all of our 3 rusted cargo boxes the best preserves part are the floor panels and underpinnings......some still showing a very very light coat of pale OD green and little surface rust... the worst being the side panels eaten right
away to a gaping hole.

Consideration is being given to purchasing a proper box brake with a 48 inch width and 12 gauge capacity........ our current 36 inches 16 gauge is some what limited but great for smaller project. Grant and I have also taken to making our own dies and using the 20 to hydraulic press the bend heavy bar stock we good success.

Will need to learn and master "hot riveting" for the various two inch x 1/4 bar straps of the tail gate and the many 1/4 in. stock for the hinges and we have a small forge that will be fired up for the occasion.

We had Summer for the last 2 days now back to chilly cloudy weather.

Intend to document the repro of the box on the Barn sticky for future reference.

Let's all hope we get out of this isolation and bug crisis and get back to whatever normal ever was.

Cheers

PS..... the rotisserie will also be used when I start working on the LRDG project........... meanwhile I may have to pull the tranny out of thecab 11 and see why the clutch slips in 3rd and 4th and determine where the oil is coming from......clutch disk plate may need relining..... now is the time to do it before I install a roof....as I can use the overhead electric which, through the floor opening...... to support the tranny during process.

Hanno Spoelstra 04-05-20 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carriere (Post 269287)
..... can we have a sticky for the barn dated 2020........ and start it with the rotisserie.

Thank you

Done! Looking forward to the next installments of the "Hammond Barn" - soon to be seen on Discovery ;-)

Bob Carriere 04-05-20 21:16

Thank you sir!!!!!

Isolation.....blah!!!!!!!

Bob Carriere 15-08-20 15:17

What is worst than Covid 19 isolation.....?

....having to do a cleanup on the computer and inadvertently deleting all my saved pass words......some of which were not written down in my paper log book.

Finally getting back on track and on MLU....

Thanks Hanno and company.

Bob C.

Phil Waterman 15-08-20 23:06

Lost one secret password book

Hi Bob

Glad your back, also glad someone else keeps a written log of passwords. Never trusted computers to keep them and now with the secondary security question it's even worse. Generally it's those and forced password changes that don't make their way into the log book.

Cheers Phil

maple_leaf_eh 16-08-20 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carriere (Post 271603)
....having to do a cleanup on the computer and inadvertently deleting all my saved pass words......some of which were not written down in my paper log book.

Bob C.

I email myself my log-on name and passwords. There is a Do Not Delete folder in my email where I park them all.

Bob Carriere 17-08-20 22:56

....and if your computer crashes........

......... and it sits there dead as a door knob...... how do you retrieve them>>>

Like GPS is great but a paper record (map) is a good back up!!!

.....and extra external hard drives reassuring.....

Paperless is a disaster waiting to happen.

Bob C

Grant Bowker 13-09-20 23:14

5 Attachment(s)
With the rotisserie made, the least "basket case" of Bob's 2B1 bodies was mounted, studied and analyzed for rebuild. It will need one section of floor replaced, the headboard replaced, side panels ahead and behind the wheel arches replaced and the tailgate rebuilt as well as upper sides being cleaned up for re-use. Then there are all the smaller details like fuel can holders (or chain lockers if you prefer) behind the wheels, mudflaps etc. A start was made by fabricating new fuel can boxes based on measurements taken from the rotted originals. A trial strip was made to check that after bending the body of the box could be removed from the brake and hold its shape. Since the trial worked out, the production "tubes" were bent and spot welded closed (actually welded after the end caps were bent and available for trial fitting). With hindsight, we made an error by bending both of the short sides to the same dimension rather than allowing for the extra metal thickness at the joint corner. Reinforcing strips were bent to fit around the open end.

Grant Bowker 13-09-20 23:22

5 Attachment(s)
The reinforcing strips were spot welded to the body of the box, then welded closed at a corner. We were pleasantly surprised how well the spot welder performed on the unequal thicknesses of this joint. Rather than spot welding the end cap on, we used modern auto-body repair glue. Long reach spot welder tongs are expensive for a rarely used application.... and the lack of spot weld dimples isn't really going to be visible under the truck body. Straps were made to attach the boxes to the body. The originals didn't show signs of anything more than friction holding the boxes into the straps. Parts were made to allow for locking the boxes, drilled in pattern to match originals.

Grant Bowker 13-09-20 23:28

5 Attachment(s)
A pause was needed to wait for rivets and hinges to be ordered. Local sources didn't stock 3/16 round head steel rivets. Hinges to match original don't seem to be available so we settled for hinges wider than original with thicker metal and larger pins. As a result, they were short perpendicular to the pin so we had to rivet in a straight line rather than in a triangular pattern similar to the closures. Riveting was done with a 4X gun that I had gotten for the 2K1 body (overkill for the aluminum rivets of the 2K1 but nice to have for this steel application). After riveting a little adjusting of the closure hoes was needed to remove rubbing, then a coating of POR was applied (in 2 stages to avoid gluing the boxes to the table).

RHClarke 22-10-20 18:23

Personal Update

1 Attachment(s)
Good to see Bob and Grant carrying on the fine tradition at the Hammond Barn. For my part, I have become more of an observer from afar of the activities at the barn than a participant. This is in part due to ongoing divorce complications and my move from Orleans, to Williamsburg, Ontario, where I will be taking up permanent residence at the farm on Toye Hill Road.

The "farm" is about equidistant to the Hammond Barn and the Swords and Ploughshares Museum, which worked out quite well for me! I have about three acres of land and three buildings: the house, the shed and the barn - aerial shot attached. I will become a permanent resident at the farm this December. In preparation for the final move, I moved a good number of vehicles to the new location with more to come over the next year, along with three of my four sea cans. One stays behind for Bob as a thank you for all of his generosity and patience over the past decade plus.

It is my intent to post a thread called "2021 at the Farm" in the New Year to share the activities at the S&P Museum/Hammond Barn annex that I refer to as the Farm.

I also plan to divest of a good portion of my HUP collection - details will be posted later on (don't get too excited - most of my HUPs are rolling frames with some sheet metal). The Pilot Model and my 45 HUP will remain, but all other CMPs will be on the block for divestment.

I have truly enjoyed beyond words the company of Bob Carriere at the Hammond Barn. For those who do not know him, he is an unforgettable character blessed with infinite patience and generosity. From the moment I whined on MLU about removing a broken bolt on my HUP axle, to now (and I am sure into the future) Bob has been a reliable source of information, resources and encouragement. There have been many times where I have tested his patience, but the situation always ended with a good lesson learned and a stronger bond formed.

Bob, I am eternally grateful to have had the pleasure of being a member of the Hammond Barn and to be able to call you a friend. I look forward to whatever comes in the future and a continued but more distant relationship in the years to come.

Bob Carriere 23-10-20 04:46

Time slips away...no matter what you do!!!!

All I can say is it has been "a slice" Rob......

Thanks for the memories, the compliments and the container........and the distance should not make you a stranger.

Will always be there to help out.

Cheers

Rob Crombie 24-10-20 01:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHClarke (Post 273348)
Good to see Bob and Grant carrying on the fine tradition at the Hammond Barn. For my part, I have become more of an observer from afar of the activities at the barn than a participant. This is in part due to ongoing divorce complications and my move from Orleans, to Williamsburg, Ontario, where I will be taking up permanent residence at the farm on Toye Hill Road.

The "farm" is about equidistant to the Hammond Barn and the Swords and Ploughshares Museum, which worked out quite well for me! I have about three acres of land and three buildings: the house, the shed and the barn - aerial shot attached. I will become a permanent resident at the farm this December. In preparation for the final move, I moved a good number of vehicles to the new location with more to come over the next year, along with three of my four sea cans. One stays behind for Bob as a thank you for all of his generosity and patience over the past decade plus.

It is my intent to post a thread called "2021 at the Farm" in the New Year to share the activities at the S&P Museum/Hammond Barn annex that I refer to as the Farm.

I also plan to divest of a good portion of my HUP collection - details will be posted later on (don't get too excited - most of my HUPs are rolling frames with some sheet metal). The Pilot Model and my 45 HUP will remain, but all other CMPs will be on the block for divestment.

I have truly enjoyed beyond words the company of Bob Carriere at the Hammond Barn. For those who do not know him, he is an unforgettable character blessed with infinite patience and generosity. From the moment I whined on MLU about removing a broken bolt on my HUP axle, to now (and I am sure into the future) Bob has been a reliable source of information, resources and encouragement. There have been many times where I have tested his patience, but the situation always ended with a good lesson learned and a stronger bond formed.

Bob, I am eternally grateful to have had the pleasure of being a member of the Hammond Barn and to be able to call you a friend. I look forward to whatever comes in the future and a continued but more distant relationship in the years to come.

Welcome to the area! I live just a short drive away in Iroquois. I’ve got an M37 and an M38, both of which are projects.

Regards,
Rob

RHClarke 13-11-20 17:42

Stop On By!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Crombie (Post 273365)
Welcome to the area! I live just a short drive away in Iroquois. I’ve got an M37 and an M38, both of which are projects.

Hi Rob, I am a frequent visitor to the Iroquois recycling pad! Feel free to drop in on any weekend afternoon. A heads up the day before will help with coordinating any visit.

I too have an M37, a couple of ambulances and a few radio trucks.

PM me for the civic address or do a search on Google Earth at the north end of Toye Hill Road.

Cheers, Rob

Bob Carriere 15-12-20 20:21

SPAM and not the pork in a tin can!!!!!

I have just finished to cleanup my SPAM file which totaled over 2000 emails...one by one.....

Going back to early November I noticed my email volume was going down but blamed it on Covid keeping everyone flying low.....

Sorry if I may have ignored some of your emails. You need to resort allthe emails and tag them as "Not a Spam" or the system will never learn.....

Another Microsoft side effect.......

Bob C

Bob Carriere 15-12-20 22:59

...for next Year at the barn......

....hoping the virus will be starting to be under control....

Two topics coming up:

****Using the Rotisserie for the first time...... success and problems.....

****Replacing the clutch disk on a cab 11....
why.....
finding the wrong parts.... finding the right parts in the back field.
new swear words I learned .........
and tips to keeping your sanity.

Coming to MLU near you in the new year..............

Cheers