MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Gun Park (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   40mm Bofors ammunition boxes (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14681)

kevinT 06-05-10 20:53

40mm Bofors ammunition boxes

Can anyone help me out with photos of the various ammunition boxes used by British and Commonwealth AA trrops.
Thanks for any assistance.

Cheers
Kevin

BSM 07-05-10 02:38

Bofors Ammo Boxes

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of WW2 Aust. examples to get the ball rolling....will do over 2 posts to remain within the quota....Regards Rod

BSM 07-05-10 02:42

Aust. Bofors Ammo Box

4 Attachment(s)
The second one.

jim sewell 07-05-10 02:48

ammo boxes

3 Attachment(s)
Below are some pictures of another Aust 40mm ammo box
Regards
Jim s

Lynn Eades 07-05-10 04:01

bofors tin

I have a couple with an angled division. Is it correct to think that there are different tins for ammo in clips and the boxes already shown?

kevinT 07-05-10 07:48

40mm Bofor ammunition boxes

Thanks guys for posting the photos. I am actually asking the question on someones behalf.

Lynn
I understand that there were more than one type of box, the one shown in the photos and a thinner upright type with an "X" on the top. But I have not seen this type before.

Cheers
Kevin

Tony Smith 07-05-10 14:11

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn Eades (Post 130138)
I have a couple with an angled division. Is it correct to think that there are different tins for ammo in clips and the boxes already shown?

Yes, the version with the angled division was the C216 which held 24rds in 6 4rd chargers. The other box (with the same external dimensions and assymetrical stampings as the C216) was the C219 which held 24rds in individual cardboard tubes and had internal spacer plates on each end. The C216 and C219 were the standard issue box for Commonwealth Armies and there are manufacturers codes for UK, Canada and Aust.

There was also a Naval box for Bofors Ammunition which was a galvanised or stainless upright box with an airtight rubber seal which contained 4 4rd chargers.

Clive_Dakers 07-05-10 14:55

Also see:
C.216

and

C.219

RickM 22-11-12 00:21

Does anyone recognize these items as part of Bofors rounds-packaging (probably US Army WWII)?

http://i44.tinypic.com/k8cn4.jpg

Euan McDonald 22-11-12 04:50

thing with holes!!!

1 Attachment(s)
I always wondered what they were for.

I have four if anyone is interested.

Jared Archibald 22-11-12 12:26

Possible ID

I have seen quite a number of these pieces of pressed tin with 4 holes in the Darwin area.

As I understand it, they are designed to hold the 4 Bofors projectiles firmly whilst they are stored in their 4 round clips in an ammo crate. They are removed prior to loading the clip into the gun. The ones I have seen are slightly curved to match the spacing of the rounds in the clip.

Happy to be corrected if this isn't their real use.

Jared

jack neville 27-11-12 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Smith (Post 130159)
Yes, the version with the angled division was the C216 which held 24rds in 6 4rd chargers. The other box (with the same external dimensions and assymetrical stampings as the C216) was the C219 which held 24rds in individual cardboard tubes and had internal spacer plates on each end. The C216 and C219 were the standard issue box for Commonwealth Armies and there are manufacturers codes for UK, Canada and Aust.

There was also a Naval box for Bofors Ammunition which was a galvanised or stainless upright box with an airtight rubber seal which contained 4 4rd chargers.

I had one of those naval boxes which I sold to someone in the States along with a set of solid steel armourer rounds. The box was aluminum.

Radek 23-12-21 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euan McDonald (Post 172785)
I always wondered what they were for.

I have four if anyone is interested.

I know it is old topic, but could I ask if are the stripes still for sale?

Regards Radek