MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Info needed: HUP s/n 3844536696 markings discovered (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30008)

cordenj 12-04-19 18:53

HUP s/n 3844536696 markings discovered

4 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Currently refreshing a May 1944 HUP for Normandy and found some marking under the green paint.

Vehicle number is clear and on both doors.

The yellow Maple leaf on rear door is on a 9" x 8" square but the colour of the square is quite indistinct...could be a mid-green. Around it is a very dark tarmac/black from the camo

Next to it is a very clear RCEME tricolour with "40" stencilled over it. Can anyone help with what the "40" refers to?

Thanks
John

Jordan Baker 12-04-19 23:01

Neat find. The maple leaf doesn’t quite look like the period ones.

cordenj 12-04-19 23:37

I'd not considered the leaf design, but I thought that Canadian vehicle numbers started with a "42*****", so a "39*****" was surprising

The vehicle seems very original, or at least not bodily restored/repainted for many years...so if these marking are a post-war addition, think it was done some to time ago.

lincwel 12-04-19 23:43

RCEME tac Sign

It would be HQ 4 Amoured Div RCEME

rob love 13-04-19 00:06

I agree with Jordan. The leaf looks a lot more like the stylized 1960s leaf that got onto our current flag. It wouldn't be the first time that an older layer of restoration got cleaned up and assumed to be original markings.

David Herbert 13-04-19 00:06

Remember that if it was restored in say 1975 it could have had those markings applied then (when there was much less knowledge of what was correct) and then have been repainted several times since, and could easily have fallen on hard times at some point in the second half of its life, despite having survived its first half. That would give a patina to the restoration that would look like original paint. The modified American tail lights were then considered a good way of fitting indicators but still being military and might suggest an older restoration.

Great truck for Normandy !

David

Ha ! Cross posted with Rob !!

Alex van de Wetering 13-04-19 00:09

I agree with Jordan on the maple leaf. "3943990-4100000" in the chilwell list is marked as "not taken up", but maybe that range of numbers was used at the end of the war.

Is it me, or could there be "45" written on the RCEME colours...in stead of "40"? "45" wouldn't make sense though...... :doh:

Alex

cordenj 13-04-19 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Herbert (Post 260077)
Remember that if it was restored in say 1975 it could have had those markings applied then (when there was much less knowledge of what was correct) and then have been repainted several times since, and could easily have fallen on hard times at some point in the second half of its life, despite having survived its first half. That would give a patina to the restoration that would look like original paint. The modified American tail lights were then considered a good way of fitting indicators but still being military and might suggest an older restoration.

Great truck for Normandy !

David

Thanks David,
I've just added the Jeep lights to give a little more illumination.
I was interested to find the markings today, but am not saying they are original...although that would be good.

Every HUP photo I can find seen has the serial numbers CZ42*****, so I am wary of a CZ39*****

cordenj 13-04-19 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering (Post 260078)
I agree with Jordan on the maple leaf. "3943990-4100000" in the chilwell list is marked as "not taken up", but maybe that range of numbers was used at the end of the war.

Is it me, or could there be "45" written on the RCEME colours...in stead of "40"? "45" wouldn't make sense though...... :doh:

Alex

Hi Alex,

It was definitely "40" appearing as I sanded off the topcoat

David Dunlop 13-04-19 00:54

John.

That’s a nice CMP you have there. The rear hatch to the left of the door looks interesting. I do not recall the HUP or HUA being equipped with such a hatch. They were typically solid rear quarters. However, the HUW, equipped for wireless had such a hatch to vent the chorehorse and I think the ZL Machinery version may also have had such a chorehorse hatch.

Is there any evidence inside the rear compartment that it may have had metal bins and shelving attached/fitted?

David

Hanno Spoelstra 13-04-19 08:30

1 Attachment(s)
Hello John, nice buy!

Much of its history in the hands of collectors can be found here on MLU Forum. These markings are from previous restorations.

Hanno

Attachment 106780

Jon Skagfeld 13-04-19 12:19

L>R:

Hanno
Looks like Art Bell
Don't know
Don"t know
Geoff Winnington Ball
Brian Gough

I'm guessing mid '70s?

Barry Churcher 13-04-19 13:47

Hanno, Art Bell, Herb Danter, Bob Doak, Barry Churcher and Brian Gough

Taken in Whitby On

Hanno Spoelstra 14-04-19 11:34

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld (Post 260086)
L>R:

Hanno
Looks like Art Bell
Don't know
Don"t know
Geoff Winnington Ball
Brian Gough

I'm guessing mid '70s?

In the mid '70s I was only as tall as Art - smaller, even! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Churcher (Post 260087)
Hanno, Art Bell, Herb Danter, Bob Doak, Barry Churcher and Brian Gough

Taken in Whitby On

Barry, good times back in 2007 at your shop!

Sadly both Herb Danter (left) and Art Bell (right) have passed away since that trip. It was an honour and pleasure to have known them. :salute:

Hanno

Attachment 106807

Jon Skagfeld 14-04-19 14:14

Apologies to Barry...yesterday must have not been my day!

Hanno Spoelstra 14-04-19 21:42

Back to topic ;-)

1 Attachment(s)
John, here is a small photo from the eBay listing many years ago when Frank Grant put it up for sale.

Hanno

Attachment 106812

cordenj 14-04-19 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 260125)
John, here is a small photo from the eBay listing many years ago when Frank Grant put it up for sale.

Hanno

Attachment 106812

Thanks Hanno,

It had that CZ39 number even then.

Roughly when would that have been for sale?

John

peter simundson 15-04-19 01:49

Markings

None of the markings are original.

All were added when it was painted.

Peter Simundson

Bruce Parker (RIP) 15-04-19 02:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter simundson (Post 260129)
None of the markings are original.

All were added when it was painted.

Peter Simundson

Is Frank Grant still around? He was either the luckiest guy around with respect to finding rare stuff or a bit of a charlatan.

Jordan Baker 15-04-19 03:17

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2179

cordenj 15-04-19 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Baker (Post 260134)

Thanks Jordan,
Good to have some background. It confirms my thoughts that it is a very sound vehicle.
All I am doing now is routine replacements/maintenance which is to be expected after another 10 years.

Feel there is more to come out on this one though!

Cheers
John

Hanno Spoelstra 15-04-19 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cordenj (Post 260137)
Feel there is more to come out on this one though!

John,

Search this forum for more info on this C8A, there is lots to be found. If I can retrieve my bookmarks (recently changed computers), I will post the relevant threads here.

Hanno

Hanno Spoelstra 22-08-20 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 260138)
Search this forum for more info on this C8A, there is lots to be found. If I can retrieve my bookmarks (recently changed computers), I will post the relevant threads here.

John, I have since merged all known threads on your C8A into one single thread for your convenience: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ght=3844536696