MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Wireless Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   HYDROMETERS, Secy Cell, Portable, Cdn Mk I (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29595)

David Dunlop 24-11-18 03:55

HYDROMETERS, Secy Cell, Portable, Cdn Mk I

Does anyone have one of these with its original case of which they can post some photos?

The case is described as follows:

'Natural finished 3-ply box, 13-1/2" x 2-1/8" x 2-1/8", with ID stencilled on the cover.'

There might also be a label of some form glued to the inside of the cover.

I am curious if there is any padding on the inside to protect the glass body of the hydrometer, or if the supporting wooden forms on the inside are just plain wood.

David

Bruce Parker (RIP) 24-11-18 14:48

2 Attachment(s)
I've got one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dunlop (Post 256024)
Does anyone have one of these with its original case of which they can post some photos?

The case is described as follows:

'Natural finished 3-ply box, 13-1/2" x 2-1/8" x 2-1/8", with ID stencilled on the cover.'

There might also be a label of some form glued to the inside of the cover.

I am curious if there is any padding on the inside to protect the glass body of the hydrometer, or if the supporting wooden forms on the inside are just plain wood.

David

David Dunlop 24-11-18 23:26

Thanks for posting the photos, Bruce.

Looks like just a snug fit into the wood supports inside the box and the box appears to be classic 1/4-inch plywood, finished both sides and probably Douglas Fir. Very simple construction with brass nails perhaps?

I wonder if the box and lid were separate builds, or if a full box was built, slightly oversize in height, and then cut to create the base and lid?

Interestingly, Kimble Glass Company is still alive and well, albeit merged with another firm now, but they are still making precision, scientific, glass measuring tools, of which hydrometers are an active part of their business.

David

David Dunlop 28-04-19 13:46

Bruce.

When you have a chance, can you post a photo of the label pasted in the bottom of the box just above the tip of the hydrometer?

Thanks,

David

David Dunlop 28-04-19 15:07

Having a closer look at that ‘label’, Bruce, and it is looking more like a small white box to store the float in and the model of the float might be marked on the box.

David

Bruce Parker (RIP) 28-04-19 23:34

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dunlop (Post 260474)
Having a closer look at that ‘label’, Bruce, and it is looking more like a small white box to store the float in and the model of the float might be marked on the box.

David

You nailed it, it is a small box, sleeve actually that holds a spare float, a Mk.II made by the Kimble Glass Company.

David Dunlop 29-04-19 00:01

Thanks, Bruce. That is going to be a great help.

David