MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What is this CMP Ford; early or late model? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21865)

Larry Hayward 26-03-14 11:00

What is this CMP Ford; early or late model?

1 Attachment(s)
I found this photo and wondered whether it was a very early Ford CMP or a post-war version for the civi market? Any ideas?

Hanno Spoelstra 26-03-14 13:02

Early Cab 11, built ca. 1940, converted postwar with twin rear wheels and civvi cargo body.

H.

Larry Hayward 28-03-14 01:04

Cmp

I have just noticed it still has a blackout cover to one headlight, so is it wartime or postwar?

Tony Wheeler 28-03-14 06:16

It has to be postwar as they weren't disposed of during the war. Can't imagine why they'd use a blackout cover, esp. as they're not even CMP headlights. However there's no accounting for taste, as the woodwork on the fuel tank shows.

cletrac (RIP) 28-03-14 09:09

There are no vents so it's an early 1940 production truck.

Bill Murray 28-03-14 22:53

Hi All:

Not to drag this one out, but I would really appreciate it if someone could sort out this particular vehicle.

I first saw it 2 years ago on a British photo site and I have been digging ever since to get it's history without success. Bear in mind, I have no expertise on very early Ford CMP variants, but as pointed out by Hanno and cletrac it is a very early version.

That being a given, it was my impression that almost all of that build time were sent from Canada to the UK and thence to France. Urban Legend has it that none returned to the UK and I have to think that virtually none of the Dunkirk vehicles survived the war, certainly not in this condition.

Does anyone know if a small portion of the original shipments of CMP's to the UK in 1940 were held "in country" for training or other duties and thus would have survived in such a condition?

As well, can anyone track down the registration plate number, which is quite visible, which may also give an answer. I googled the number formats and came up with nothing but I am sure some of out British members know of a way to find out the history of that plate.

Thanks for any help for my own little research project.

Bill

David Dunlop 29-03-14 01:18

Can the plate number be traced to ID the truck? That plate would have followed the truck it's entire civilian life, would it not?

David

Larry Hayward 29-03-14 20:33

Cmp

Perhaps my post needs to be merged with Warren Brown's ?

Richard Farrant 29-03-14 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dunlop (Post 193639)
Can the plate number be traced to ID the truck? That plate would have followed the truck it's entire civilian life, would it not?

David

The rego was issued by Southend on Sea CBC at Chelmsford, but as to the date I cannot say. Some vehicles were disposed of as obsolete during the war and this could have gone to a local authority perhaps.

Larry Hayward 13-04-14 00:50

Cmp

Looking again at the vehicle photo I posted, it looks like the rear tail board hinges on the tub are at the top, so this may be a tipper, and if so it could still have been 're-manufactured' to help the war effort, perhaps for road or runway construction, hence the need for the blackout light.

Anthony Main 13-04-14 22:09

The Glass's Index list bhj as first issued on april 39, last issued on jan 46.
40=570, 41=689, 42=701, 43=720, 44=754, 45=826, 46=960.
Regards,Anthony.

lynx42 14-04-14 10:03

And no-one has pointed out that it is fitted with Chev axles. Just how many Ford Cab II had Chev axles fitted?
Regards Rick

Larry Hayward 21-04-14 16:38

Cmp

I think I assumed it was a Ford as the typical Chevrolet radiator and badge was not present. After all the radiator is not exactly standard WW2 is it? Does this change things?

cliff 27-04-14 07:24

Early no vent Fords were fitted with early cast Chev axles. A lot of 30cwt's with no vents were issued to the New Zealand forces in the Middle East and returned back to NZ after the war. Some of these over the past few years have appeared for sale in NZ. The NZ army replaced the Chev axles with split Ford axles during rebuilds in the early 1950's.

Hope this helps :note: