MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The MLU Sappers Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Bailey bridge book (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17719)

Mike Kelly 22-12-11 08:26

Bailey bridge book

A op shop find . Published in 1973 , a book detailing everything you would need to know . A company, Mabey and Johnson, in the UK , took over the manufacture of the Bailey bridge after the WW2 stock ran out . Many drawings and data . MIKE

Richard Coutts-Smith 22-12-11 10:55

How about a title and author Mike. Obviously not "A Bridge to Victory" (Brian Harpur) as that was published in 1991.
Rich.

Mike Kelly 22-12-11 11:56

Book

Richard

It was published by the company itself . It is actually LECTURE NOTES . Presented by Keith J Groom . B.Sc. C.Eng M.I.C.E. . Chief projects engineer , Mabey and Johnson Ltd.

More of a technical description of the Bailey bridge .... maths and diagrams aplenty . Written by a boffin . Do you want it ?

Mike

Richard Coutts-Smith 22-12-11 12:16

No thanks Mike, just curious is all.
You never know what you will stumble across do you.
Rich.

Mike Cecil 22-12-11 16:13

Hey, Mike, I do!!!

Sounds just the thing for winter's by the fire.... :salute:

Seriously, I'd like to obtain a copy if possible....

Mike C

Mike Cecil 22-12-11 16:30

There are no doubt many books on the BB, but I'm fortunate to have one with a Forward by Sir DB, published in 1962 wherein he states that it is the '...most comprehensive book on the Bailey Bridge and Uniflote equipment....'. It is a very detailed book.

'Bailey Bridge - Uniflote - Handbook. compiled by Edward Aubury, published by Acrow Press for Thos Storey (Engineers) Ltd, 'sole manufacturers of Bailey Bridging..'

Of course, they may have been the only ones in 1962, but these days there are manufacturers of bailey-type bridging in several countries.

Mike C

Mike Kelly 23-12-11 00:45

Ok

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cecil (Post 157766)
Hey, Mike, I do!!!

Sounds just the thing for winter's by the fire.... :salute:

Seriously, I'd like to obtain a copy if possible....

Mike C

So you did well at maths at school then Mike ? This publication has many drawings ( showing dimensions ) of the individual parts . A Great resource for making scale models as you can scale down the dimensions . He describes the history somewhat , but not in great detail. He says " The standard Bailey as developed consisted of only 20 part types" . It describes the erection sequence as well .

Mike Cecil 23-12-11 00:58

Nope: hopeless at Maths. Herself doesn't let me near the cheque book balancing for that reason (so I just figure if there are cheques in the book, there's money in the bank.....)

But I wouldn't mind a copy to place with all my other bailey stuff, if it's going begging....

Mike C

Robin Craig 23-12-11 04:15

Can we have a bidding war?

I would be interested in a copy or original

R

Mike Cecil 23-12-11 04:51

yes, but only for payment in Aussie Dollars..... :kangaroo

Mike C

Mike Kelly 23-12-11 05:47

solution

I can scan it .. then it's available to anyone ...CD's are easy to post . :coffee

MIKE

Robin Craig 23-12-11 13:44

mike,

Yes I would be interested in a cd copy mailed to me.

Send me an email through here and give me your demands for monies with a paypal id and i would be more than happy to send you some funds.

Thank you

R

Philliphastings 23-12-11 15:39

Hi Mike,

I would think the Museum of Army Engineering at School of Mlitary Engineering, Moorebank might appreciate a copy.

I have an indirect contact there and if you were able to send them a copy I would be happy to cover your costs :)

Cheers

Phill

Mike Kelly 24-12-11 00:55

orders orders

Gee ..this is turning into a major undertaking .... Hmmm I might ask the copy centre in town to do some wire bound copies .... At cost price to yooose all :salute: wont happen til next year .

servicepub (RIP) 17-02-12 04:00

I wouldn't mind a copy also, please.

John Mackie 19-04-12 06:12

Bailey bridge in use in Aus.

Last weekend i traveled to a Bailey bridge at Back creek between Forbes and Cootamundra . I had seen it from a passing train. It is in current use and has a 24 ton load limit, there are 3 spans on concrete piers. I have taken photos which I will post when I can get help to get them on this thread.

John

Dean (Ajax) 19-04-12 11:18

I just picked up the Canadian Military Manual for the Baily Bridge..never seen one before..seems to cover everything.

Dean

John Mackie 15-05-12 03:24

Photos of Bailey Bridge

5 Attachment(s)
Here are the photos of the Bailey Bridge at Back Creek. Posted with the assistance of Toby Baillie.

John Mackie 15-05-12 03:49

Bailey Bridge Back Creek

5 Attachment(s)
And some more...

Ganmain Tony 15-05-12 10:59

Gday John

1 Attachment(s)
I think I mentioned to you that I had driven over a Bailey bridge in the truck very close to home...

Photo was taken by none other than Keefy...

rob.c 02-01-14 20:44

Hello guys, I would be interested at least in the main drawings with dimensions... I asked in another thread (see here http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...&postcount=165 but found this one just now.

I can provide an email address through PM of course, would be glad if anybody could help with a MkII Bailey, it seems I can only find US/Nato M1A/M2 information...

Pete M 06-01-14 02:37

Quote:

MkII Bailey
There's no such thing as a MkII Bailey bridge. There's BB (Bailey Bridge), IWBB (Improvised Widened Bailey Bridge), SWBB (Standard Widened Bailey Bridge)and EWBB (Extra Wide Bailey Bridge). There's BPB (Bailey Pontoon Bridge), BSB (Bailey Suspension Bridge), and even BDB (Bailey Deck Bridge) and BLB (Bailey Lock Bridge) but nothing called a MkII Bailey Bridge. In US parlance the various widened Bailey's were given an M classification.

Phil Waterman 06-01-14 22:22

This is a classic picture

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony (Post 164903)
I think I mentioned to you that I had driven over a Bailey bridge in the truck very close to home...

Photo was taken by none other than Keefy...

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/at...8&d=1337072356

Hi All

This has got to be a classic picture of a CMP and an iconic picture for Australia, it has everything a man, his truck, his dog, a normally dry creek bed full of water, what more could you add maybe a sound track?

Great photo, thanks Tony for posting it and thanks Keefy for taking it.

Cheers Phil

Mike Cecil 08-01-14 16:09

That looks like a Mabey Bridge rather than a BB.

Mike C

maple_leaf_eh 27-06-14 18:04

Who knows about Inglis Bridges?

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2014/02/inglis-bridge/

Rob Beale 26-07-15 10:25

And the Callender Hamilton bridge

This is another modular truss bridge, more suited to replacement bridges after the battle has moved on. It dates from the mid 1930s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callender-Hamilton_bridge

I crossed one in February in the back blocks of the East Coast of NZ

Rob

Rob Beale 26-07-15 10:42

Here is a Bailey still in use.

4 Attachment(s)
My region was badly hit by Cyclone Bola in March 1988. The East Coast region was devastated with major erosion and the debris entering the rivers destroyed a number of permanent bridges. In the following years the sediment built up the river beds, so that many bridges became buried.

The Raparapariki Bridge (popularly named the Rip bridge) was buried over a period of five years, but a new crossing was needed to allow logging of mature radiata pine plantation forests. The double single chord reinforced Bailey was installed in the mid 1990s and is over 100m long, with intermediate piers of steel frames. It has running planks in the wheel paths to reduce wear over the chesses.
It was meant to be replaced after 10 years, but is still there today, and is inspected and maintained regularly. It has carried innumerable 44 ton logging truck and trailer combinations, and no doubt a few overloads have snuck over with diggers and dozers aboard.

The chord reinforcement sections can be seen above and below the side panels.

Rob