MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   FGT remains rescued (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8759)

Keith Webb 26-05-07 04:25

FGT remains rescued

1 Attachment(s)
Today Euan and I recovered the remains of a Ford FGT No8 (Aust). When I first had a look with Jif after Corowa I thought it may have been a No9, but on having a closer look thay are from the rarer, earlier version. It's a fairly intact lower rear section from the crew seat back and it was fairly heavy.

Keith Webb 26-05-07 04:26

More

1 Attachment(s)
This took a lot of shoving and winching.

Keith Webb 26-05-07 04:27

At it's new home

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is at Euan's father-in-law's farm.

Wayne Henderson 26-05-07 05:22

Gt body number?

Hi Keith, Nice bits!
Maybe check this for id help.
Between the brackets that hold the "ladder" to the rear, while rolling the spare in and out, is stamped.
My no.9 is 29.Q.F.A.T.
and under this is either 147 or 141
Could this be the body no. ?

Keith Webb 26-05-07 07:46

Interesting find

Just raced out to check my No9... 29.Q F.A.T. 131 with C29Q being the Ford designation for an arty tractor. Looks like there may be a 'C' there too.

Great find, Wayne! :salute:

The No8 was fairly rusty in that area (and there are no tyre ramp fittings) but wlll check when I next visit it.

Colin Anderson gave me the lead and drew a map from memory. He'd last seen it 5 or more years ago.

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 26-05-07 11:29

Hi Keith,

Thx for saving a part of history :salute:

Nice catch :D

Tony Smith 26-05-07 11:48

Re: Interesting find

Quote:

Originally posted by Keith Webb
Just raced out to check my No9... 29.Q F.A.T. 131 with C29Q being the Ford designation for an arty tractor. Looks like there may be a 'C' there too.

C29Q is not specifically for a Gun Tractor. Ford engineering codes don't specifiy end use of chassis, rather than just a generic description of chassis details.
C Canadian manufacture
2 1942 model
9 239ci engine (95hp)
Q 4x4 drivetrain

Keith Webb 26-05-07 11:54

Ahhh

Thanks Tony

I stand corrected.

It's painted under the bonnet so perhaps I was carried away. Not every day a piece of a No8 gets rescued. ;)

cliff 26-05-07 12:17

good on the both of you for finding and saving another piece of history.

Plushy 26-05-07 13:12

Good Find Lads and nice work on the Recovery ! :note:

Euan McDonald 26-05-07 13:29

FGT?

Hey Keith, I didn't notice the rusty bits, only the nice bum !! :D
Katrina.

Keith Webb 26-05-07 13:50

Re: FGT?

Quote:

Originally posted by Euan McDonald
Hey Keith, I didn't notice the rusty bits, only the nice bum !! :D
Katrina.

Glad it appealed to you. I was thinking there were a lot of bum shots there. :yappy:
Takes all types I s'pose.

Keith Webb 26-05-07 14:09

Now the magazine

1 Attachment(s)
Oh dear. ;)

sth65pac 27-05-07 12:23

More shots

Great work Keith,

Hope you helped Euan when you got to the pushing and winching part. Seems you took a lot of pictures in the heat of the moment.

Is this 'useable' parts for your FGT? Or just a recovery? I would personally like to see some more photos. Gun Tractors are a fantastic piece of history.

Ian

Keith Webb 27-05-07 12:32

History

Hi Ian

It was there and it was FGT which meant it had to be recovered.

Because the subframe is intact it is a good basis for a rebuild, and this is a hard-to-find segment, the bit that's usually scrapped when the rest is made into a yard crane.

And yes, I was on the other end of a lump of wood used to lever it on, especially once the electric winch shat itself. Good thing it wasn't any heavier.

sth65pac 27-05-07 13:56

so worth the effort!

Keith....... back to you,

Euan should have taken his CGT. (winch and all!).

Good to see you guys got up a sweat... Nothing is straightforward and easy when it comes to recoverys!

I would like to see some more photos. They did marvels with welders and angle iron on gun tractors!

Jif must be smoldering thinking of the gun tractor in the yard near the house.... At least this one is partially saved.

;)