MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Gen set info please (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10805)

Lynn Eades 27-03-08 11:23

Gen set info please

2 Attachment(s)
I have located this little gen set for sale.
It is 80 watts D.C. made byECC (who is ECC?) in 1944. Wd no.b6741
My O.P. carrier is supposed to have a 300 watt gen set, Would this set have been a possible option?
Any help will be appreciated, so thanks in advance.
Lynn.

Neil Ashley 27-03-08 15:10

This is the small 80 watt generator normally associated with Airborne Forces.
I belive from memory it may have been specifically produced for use with the 22 Set?

This generator is also missing its carrying frame plus a few other small bits.

This type would never have been specified for Carrier use.

The 300 watt type are not particularly hard to source in the UK with post-war production models being very similar. Do a search on Chorehorse to bring up related threads on this site.

Bruce MacMillan 27-03-08 17:14

ECC could be the "Electric Construction Company". They built all sorts of power generating equipment. Neil is correct in that the genny was built for Paras, jungle use and was fitted in the airborne jeep equipped with either the ws22 or Australian ws122.

Richard Farrant 27-03-08 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn Eades (Post 96118)
It is 80 watts D.C. made byECC (who is ECC?)

Hi Lynn,

ECC was the Enfield Cycle Company. The engine was designed by Stuart Turner Ltd. and my own example is one of theirs. Another contractor who produced them was Douglas (Kingswood) Ltd, makers of motorcycles and stationary engines.

Lynn Eades 28-03-08 02:15

Thanks again everyone.

And Richard,I guessed right from the start that you might be the one to name the manufacturer.
Sounds like I should hold off for a chore horse.

tankbarrell 28-03-08 09:52

Lynn,

Andrew Rowe at Palmerston North has a couple at least. Whether he can be persuaded to part with them is another matter! As Neil pointed out, they are fairly common over here, though the 12 volt, wartime models are harder to find.

Adrian

Rob Beale 28-03-08 10:21

Unlikely!

Adrian

one is on the Valentine trackguard, so the other will be in a carrier before long I guess!

What voltage are the post war ones?

Rob

Plushy 28-03-08 11:28

Lynn ,
I have one of these in my stash as well , mine is complete except for the original muffler .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...kol/6713_1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...kol/6429_1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...kol/6a9e_1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...kol/6284_1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...kol/65a3_1.jpg

Wyvern rider 31-03-08 14:50

I have one of those generators fitted to my 1944 Bedford MWR radio truck, it is carried in the steel box mounted next to the drivers step.
I am in the process of trying to get the thing running, I think the mag might be a bit suspect,

Mike

Neil Ashley 31-03-08 15:18

Mike

D.H. Day are specailist vintage magneto repairers in your area (Wroughton).

dhday31@hotmail.com

dougiebarder 31-03-08 21:18

I too have one of these generators (there seems to be a fair few still around),and I was wondering if anyone knew of a source of NOS sparkplugs (or a modern equivalent)? I think it's an AC type 103M!
Cheers
Dougie. :coffee

Richard Farrant 31-03-08 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougiebarder (Post 96360)
I too have one of these generators (there seems to be a fair few still around),and I was wondering if anyone knew of a source of NOS sparkplugs (or a modern equivalent)? I think it's an AC type 103M!
Cheers
Dougie. :coffee

I bought a box of new ones once, but have now sold the lot......not much help, I know, but you may come across them if you look hard.

Neil Ashley 01-04-08 13:31

I normally use a guy in the UK who trades under 'The Green Spark Plug Company'

Unfortunately his web site does not appear to be working today.

dougiebarder 01-04-08 21:25

Cheers-look's hopefull, I'll try it again in a few days, and hope the site is back up :thup:

Neil Ashley 17-06-10 09:27

I have just picked up another one of these generators and this one has three terminals two of which are marked high and low charge or similar wording.

In the book Wireless for the Warrior the author makes reference to a 40/60 watt version.

Does anyone have any more details on this version or have a similar set?

The manual makes reference to early production models having terminals for both AC and DC Voltage.

charlie fitton 25-01-11 14:17

Gen set

What do these little sets weigh, without the frame?

Marc van Aalderen 25-01-11 20:26

Chore horse 24 Volts

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Dirk Leegwater has these Chore horses on his site. He lists them as 24 Volts but no power rating. They are Canadian manufacture. No idea if they are ww2 or postwar. Anybody know these?

Attachment 39842

Cheers,

Neil Ashley 26-01-11 09:02

I assume Charlie is asking about the 80 watt generator rather than the 300 watt Dirk has.

I can stick mine on the bathroom scales if that is of any use.

The frame does not add much to the weight and without it the generator is not complete. The side panels which clip on are also often missing and the hardest bit to find is the canvas cover which incorporates a handle which clips on to the frame.

charlie fitton 26-01-11 16:24

My goodness-

The questions keep piling up -

As to the 80 watt version ( ST) I need to know what they weigh, and how big the box would be as I'm looking to have one shipped.. I accept that the one I'm looking at is in-complete, but it just fascinates me.

What does Dirk ask for the chorehorse?

f

RichardT10829 26-01-11 17:55

Charlie he has loads all at different prices matey, go onto www.lwdparts.com and have a wee peep.

Cheers

Richie

charlie fitton 26-01-11 20:08

Thanks,

Dirks site was amazing - Why can't I find the chorehorses and parts here?

(Dirks' got em...)

f

RichardT10829 26-01-11 20:28

they are under misc parts Charlie, i cant cut and paste a direct link unfortunately but here is the spec.

Canadian generator sets 24 V
Overhauled and some ordinary used
Gasoline engine PU-5008/U
Price: 100 - 300 euro

he has loads of them.....also has a NOS one still in its war time crate for £350 euro

Ron Pier 27-01-11 08:51

3 Attachment(s)
Well I just weighed mine and it's about 44 pounds (20kg). It measures 14"L 14"H 7.5"W. My tiny little spare NOS spark plug is shown also. Ron

Neil Ashley 27-01-11 09:02

You beat me to it Ron.

My bath room scales last night said 18kg.

Ron Pier 27-01-11 15:53

You could be right Neil. My bathroom scales were rocking on the concrete floor of the shed and I sort of rounded it up. But better to look at the higher figure for shipping purposes. Ron

charlie fitton 27-01-11 17:08

Thanks, guys,

Ron Pier; Well I just weighed mine and it's about 44 pounds (20kg). It measures 14"L 14"H 7.5"W. My tiny little spare NOS spark plug is shown also. Ron

Exactly what I needed to know.

(now how's about copies of any technical documents? - they're almost as much fun as the real thing..)

The tiny engine on this thing is most interesting.

thanks again.

f

Neil Ashley 27-01-11 18:47

Your exhaust Ron should obviously be on the end of 3ft (from memory) flexiable metal hose.

Who is the maker of your set Ron.

Ron Pier 27-01-11 20:00

1 Attachment(s)
You're absolutely right Neil. I'll just nip down to the 1940's generator shop and buy a length. ha ha. Ron

Richard Farrant 27-01-11 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pier (Post 142263)
You're absolutely right Neil. I'll just nip down to the 1940's generator shop and buy a length. ha ha. Ron

Hi Ron,

I made a flexy exhaust up for one of these sets, when working for REME. No idea how one came to be still around in service, c.1980, but we indented for a pipe and silencer, but only got the silencer. I found the outer sleeving from a Ferret or Saracen speedo cable was the same type and size, just remove the plastic covering. Ask around if anyone has changed a speedo cable on a 1950's era British armoured vehicle.

Incidentally, I think your 80w was made by Douglas (Kingswood) Ltd, makers of fine motorcycles ! My 80w set is a Stuart Turner.

regards, Richard

Ron Pier 28-01-11 07:26

Thanks for that Richard. So I'm looking for a busted Ferret speedo cable.

Cheers Ron