MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fort William Ont. (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2895)

jeff davis 18-11-04 06:16

Fort William Ont.

Does anyone know anything about The Battle Training School at Ft William ont this is were My Grand father did his Training .
under Capt J.Killeen,Lt J. Karasivich and sgt Now
He later worked at the burn hospital at Bathingstoke England
regards Jeff

Mark W. Tonner 18-11-04 14:58

Re: Fort William Ont.

Quote:

Originally posted by jeff davis
Does anyone know anything about The Battle Training School at Ft William ont this is were My Grand father did his Training .
under Capt J.Killeen,Lt J. Karasivich and sgt Now
He later worked at the burn hospital at Bathingstoke England
regards Jeff

Jeff;

The only establishment at Fort William, Ontario was:

From 9 Oct 40 to 14 Feb 41 - a N.P.A.M. Training Centre

until converted and redesignated and placed on Active Service as:

From 15 Feb 41 to 31 Oct 43 - 102 Canadian Army (Basic) Training Centre (disbanded effective 31 Oct 43)

after which, the accommodations at Fort William, were used by the Veterans Guard of Canada, from 1 Nov 43 till date unknown

There was no Battle Training School located at Fort William, Ont., there was however, the following located at Vernon, B.C.:

From 1 May 42 to 4 Sep 42 - A 31 Battle Drill Training Centre

which was redesignated:

A 31 Canadian Battle Drill School (from 4 Sep 42 to 1 Nov 42)

which was redesignated:

S 10 Canadian Battle Drill School (from 1 Nov 42 until disbanded effective 31 Aug 43)

Hope this helps.

Cheers :)

Regina 18-11-04 22:01

I live in Thunder Bay (South) which was formerly Fort William and haven't heard of any training centres like that here. Locally they built Curtis Hell Divers and Hawker Hurricanes and I believe there was Aircrew Training but that's the first I heard of battle training. The Lake Superior Regiment was from this area so maybe he did something with them here. Could it have been Fort William, Scotland?

Art Johnson 18-11-04 22:26

Fort William

If I remember right my father who was with the VGC weas stationed at I believe it was called Curie Barracks.

Mark W. Tonner 19-11-04 01:24

Re: Fort William

Quote:

Originally posted by Art Johnson
If I remember right my father who was with the VGC weas stationed at I believe it was called Curie Barracks.
Hi Art;

I believe Currie Barracks is/was Calgary, Alberta.

Cheers :)

Art Johnson 19-11-04 01:49

Fort William

Hi Mark I was waiting for your comment as my memory is not as good as it used to be. I believe I have a picture of the Barracks that shows the name of the Barracks spelled out in white washed stones. My second guess for the name was Osborne Barracks. I'll have to wait untill I get home to verify it.

Art Johnson 19-11-04 01:51

Fort William

Hi Mark I was waiting for your comment as my memory is not as good as it used to be. I believe I have a picture of the Barracks that shows the name of the Barracks spelled out in white washed stones. My second guess for the name was Osborne Barracks. I'll have to wait untill I get home to verify it.

Art Johnson 19-11-04 02:13

Current River Barracks

Sorry about the double post but I finally came up with the name, Current River Baracks in Port Arthur;

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/nativete...towigishig.htm

jeff davis 19-11-04 06:48

Ft William

Have a picture of Grandad at Ft William March 31 1942
the caption says 102nd C.A.B.T.C Foret William ONT

jeff davis 19-11-04 06:49

Ft William

Have a picture of Grandad at Ft William March 31 1942
the caption says 102nd C.A.B.T.C Foret William ONT

Regina 19-11-04 08:22

I'll add a bit if it helps.

The area Can-Car was on is still there except it's called Bombardier now. The Can-Car plant built Hell Divers and Hurricane during the war so I'm not sure if it was there that the barracks were located. Up until 10 years ago there was an old apartment complex that was next door to that location and was built around the early 40's(?) if not a bit sooner. It supposedly housed the workers of the Can-Car plant next door. The documentary "Rosie's of the North" shot a bunch of footage there. The complex was always (30 years that I know of) called Winston apartments. Possibly something to do with the war? It definitely looked like barrack type buildings, so this may have been a place they stayed.
The reference to Current River barracks, points to it's approximate location as Current River is one of the northern most neighbourhoods in the city. The Current River also runs through there on the way to Lake Superior. During the war there were a logging camp around there too.