MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Lincoln welder (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14740)

Mike Kelly 20-05-10 01:56

Lincoln welder

I just picked up an old 1950's era Lincoln DC welder... powered by a Holden red 179 donk... Its rated at max. 200 AMPS . I saved it from the scrappy ..needs lots of TLC . Dose anyone know anything about DC welding ? Its supposedly better than AC in many respects .

MIKE

cletrac (RIP) 20-05-10 06:57

DC just works better than AC. I have a 220 v powerline AC-DC welder and I never use it on AC. If you use DC welding rods such as 6010s you get a steadier arc along with better penetration.

gjamo 20-05-10 07:28

DC welding

DC is best for mild steel, carbon and stainless. You only definitely need AC for aluminium.

aj.lec 20-05-10 09:08

As mentioned DC welding is good for penetration and starts the arc beautifully :cheers:

hrpearce 20-05-10 09:55

I have the PTO version and it is a great welder for the big jobs. Burning a 4mm rod into one inch steel on 200 makes a 40hp tractor work. Mine has a 240 volt outlet as well but the neighbours older one has 32 volt power.

Phill 22-05-10 02:03

The Lincoln SAE S.A.E. 200 amp portable welder, along with it's bigger cousin, the 300 amp were popular for pipeline work and repair welding. Up here most have the Continental 4 or 6 cylinder flat-head gas engine. Some were made with a diesel engine but they are not common. 7018 is a very popular DC rod and in all the years I used a 200 for heavy equipment repair, that's all I used. The 'Shop Floor Talk' forum could help you out with any questions also.

I've never heard of that engine you refer to, but I believe the Hercules was used on the very early models. The vacuum idler is very temperamental and in 1972 the unit was updated with an electronic idler. There is a company in the U.S. that sells conversions for both the idler and the magneto, and supports restoration of these. They had a very stable arc and were very popular. Phil

Mike Kelly 24-05-10 04:22

ta

ta for the replies

from the same source I bought an old power hacksaw.. its worn out ..needs bushes etc..but has potential to be very useful.. Peerless brand ..very heavy mounted on railway track.

Mike

Cameron Reed 24-05-10 15:15

dc welding is heaps smoother espcially if you use low hydrogen rods (they don't cut out on dc like ac)For most applications with stick use dc+ (handpiece +). You can also use it to tig weld if you wish carbon steel stainless & bronze.

hrpearce 24-05-10 23:23

Mike it's time for a picture to show wich lincon 200 it is. I have also seen them coupled to V4 winsconsons and farm made trailer versiond coupled to various diesel engines and at one clearing sale I went to years ago there was one mounted on the side of a fordson majior and run from the side pulley.

Mike Kelly 25-05-10 02:02

welder

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpearce (Post 130989)
Mike it's time for a picture to show wich lincon 200 it is. I have also seen them coupled to V4 winsconsons and farm made trailer versiond coupled to various diesel engines and at one clearing sale I went to years ago there was one mounted on the side of a fordson majior and run from the side pulley.

Will do Robert . The 179 red motor is heaps too powerful for it, but at least it's easy to buy parts . Yes , I've been told the Wisconson was the normal engine fitted. This thing I've got is home made on 13" Holden wheels. I've checked the commutator on the big gene and it's perfect . Don't know about brushes though, will check the field coils for shorts etc. next.

It has a name plate on top, with a series of holes you poke rods into, to gauge the amperage to set it to - goes up to 3/16" rods.

Tony Smith 26-05-10 11:33

5 Attachment(s)
This one was for sale locally in a Mine Auction sale. I thought it was interesting due to the well made frame and the wheels fitted.

Tony Smith 26-05-10 11:36

1 Attachment(s)
To be honest, I was only interested in the trailer it sat on (it wasn't fixed to the deck). The CMP hubs were butted up to a tube axle, and I thought that if the axle was slung under the springs and proper tyres fitted, it would make a great firewood trailer.

Mike Kelly 28-05-10 02:25

pics

5 Attachment(s)
PIX

similar to Tony's pic maybe ...

Mike Kelly 28-05-10 02:30

power hacksaw

4 Attachment(s)
pics......................

Ive been fixing it up..made new shafts and bushes etc... it was very worn out ..