MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   A dog with a snake (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14116)

Keith Webb 17-01-10 23:01

A dog with a snake

http://resources0.news.com.au/images...0011`8.jpg

Quote:

HE'S never had a nose for trouble before but black labrador Bronson sure knows how to turn heads with his retrieving tricks.

The champion obedience dog stunned his Victorian owners when he recently returned to them to proudly show off his latest find.

Locked firmly in his jaws and coiled around his snout was a long, live snake, believed to be a deadly copperhead.

"He's normally an excellent duck dog but he'll pick up absolutely anything and return it to us, hanging on to it until we say 'give'," Deborah Allen said.

"My husband Peter didn't know he'd lost his mobile phone out in a paddock recently until Bronson returned with it in his mouth."

The couple were lucky to be at home together at their property at Yarragon on January 4 when Mr Allen called out to his wife: "Hey, come and look at this." "There was Bronson with the snake hanging out of his mouth and the snake's body wrapped around his nose," Ms Allen said.

"We weren't sure if it was alive or not and we touched its head which was down at ground level and it moved - it appeared slightly stunned."

As they grappled with a plan to deal with the snake, Mr Allen told his wife to quickly take a photo first.

"He didn't reckon anyone would believe it," she said.

With a camera always by her side, Ms Allen captured the stunning sight as perfectly obedient Bronson, 11, remained totally rigid, trained not to move his head while carrying anything he had retrieved.

"But he had a real forlorn look on his face like he was saying 'Hurry up and take this thing'," Ms Allen said.

Ms Allen said their second labrador, Madeline, usually tried to steal anything Bronson was carrying.

"But this is the first time ever she wouldn't have a bar of him. She kept well away."

Ms Allen found a chaff bag and lowered it to the ground, pulling the bag up and over the snake while at the same time releasing its body which remained wrapped around Bronson's snout.

"And as soon I said 'Give' he dropped it right into the bag and we sealed up the ends."

With the snake safely stored, the pair rushed Bronson to the West Gippsland Veterinary Centre where a coagulation blood test confirmed Bronson had copped a bite.

Four days in hospital followed on a drip, but Bronson is now happily at home.

Australian Veterinary Association president Peter Gibbs said an alarming number of pets had been brought to clinics this summer for treatment of snake bites.

"Snakes tend to be at their most active towards the end of day, with snake bites usually happening in late afternoon or early evening," Dr Gibbs said.

"Dog owners should avoid snake-prone areas."

Symptoms of snakebite include seizures, vomiting, bleeding around the bite, weakness in the limb and paralysis. The animal will collapse with laboured breathing.

Urgent treatment is needed but call ahead so they have antivenene on standby.
Link

Ganmain Tony 18-01-10 12:13

Aaaahhhhhh!!!!!

That has completely freaked me out!!!!

I like the look on Bronson's face and the comment 'hurry up & take this thing!'. Thats exactly what he looks like he's saying.

What a great doggy....

Keith Webb 18-01-10 19:26

Freaked out? LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony (Post 124793)
That has completely freaked me out!!!!

I like the look on Bronson's face and the comment 'hurry up & take this thing!'. Thats exactly what he looks like he's saying.

What a great doggy....

You wouldn't want to have been with me a couple of days ago at the property in South Gippsland. I was walking up a track from the barn to the house and almost trod on a Red Belly Black snake. It actually reared up and I jumped back and watched quietly while it moved into some covering grass immediately behind it. Then I was able to move past but it did give me a bit of a start! That's the second major snake encounter I've had this season and I think I've had my share.
One of our neighbours has been doing some contract blackberry spraying in our lower gullies and has come across some very large tiger snakes on the narrow tracks he cuts into the 15 foot high blackberries. He usually gives them a spray with the blackberry poison and they head away from him, but it's not the sort of confined space I'd like to encounter one!

cliff 18-01-10 19:53

1 Attachment(s)
I hope and pray that Princess my Assistance Dog does not bring one home as well. Before shifting to Gympie I lost my dog to snake bite at Tansey and I still miss him.

The photo below is Princess taken almost 12 months ago

hrpearce 18-01-10 21:24

It must be the season for close encounters with snakes. Last week while I was at work at Betty's her daughter was walking down the steps beside the patio when she felt a breese on her face. A brown snake was sunning on the patio and fortunately the rails ruined it's aim or she would have been bitten on the face. Betty heard her screem and the snake suffered lead poisoning.
Keith I too spray snakes to keep them away they turn fastest if you can hit them in an open mouth with a jet spray at 150psi. :cheers:

Keith Webb 18-01-10 22:15

Visitors?

Any Canucks contemplating an Aussie Summer visit? :D

Clive_Dakers 18-01-10 23:53

I almost picked up a Coral snake from the floor of my office while in Belize a few years ago. I thought it was a piece of string.

lynx42 20-01-10 05:57

We had a cat who loved to leave everything it caught on the back step. One day we spotted Niggy doing a funny dance. Walk three step, turn around twice and repeat as often as you like. Closer inspection showed Niggy to have a tiger snake in her mouth and the snake coiling around her body. That's why she would turn around, to step out of the coils. Have you ever tried to get a cat to drop a snake, a very angry one at that? The cat wasn't bitten and the tiger snake despatched with a shovel. No time to get a photo, it was before the days of digital cameras, but we still talk about it often.

hrpearce 23-01-10 04:17

rip little snake

1 Attachment(s)
Who would have thought Vicki would be a contender in an olympic sprint, but with the right motivation she is quiet fast. That motivation came when she was steping over the storm water drain behind the garage and saw this snake below her. Vicki locked herself in the closest vehicle and wouldn't move until the snake was dead. It was in an awkwars place to get at so I pinned it down with a long handle shovel while Greg pounded it with a garden spade. :eek:

Bob McNeill 23-01-10 05:11

tis the season

Mowing the grass up at work can get exciting, moving some machinary to get a straight run disturbed a family of copper heads, mum took of but I caught the 2 little ones put them in a jar for the office girl ( hates crawlies ) She took PITYon them, said let them go. just can,t get her to go near the long grass.

Ganmain Tony 23-01-10 13:53

Brown & Deadly

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpearce (Post 125032)
Who would have thought Vicki would be a contender in an olympic sprint, but with the right motivation she is quiet fast. That motivation came when she was steping over the storm water drain behind the garage and saw this snake below her. Vicki locked herself in the closest vehicle and wouldn't move until the snake was dead. It was in an awkwars place to get at so I pinned it down with a long handle shovel while Greg pounded it with a garden spade. :eek:

As both Howard & I say - they dont make shovels with handles long enough.

Look at the bloody thing! Its the size of an Olive Python. They'll kill a fully grown horse in half an hour.

Ive run into 4 of them this summer, all big & fast moving. I moved in the opposite direction very cautiously.

The Eastern brown snake..........My secret shame is I'm scared stiff of em.

aj.lec 23-01-10 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony (Post 125043)
As both Howard & I say - they dont make shovels with handles long enough.

Look at the bloody thing! Its the size of an Olive Python. They'll kill a fully grown horse in half an hour.

Ive run into 4 of them this summer, all big & fast moving. I moved in the opposite direction very cautiously.

The Eastern brown snake..........My secret shame is I'm scared stiff of em.

Well you are not Robinson Crusoe there Tony :doh:
Shovels are not ideal for the job .It is better using something that throws lead around 1000+ fps :D

Bob McNeill 24-01-10 01:49

lead chuckers

Shame on you AJ everybody knows only crims own guns in NSW, a piece of 8guage wire lays along the ground nicely, it hangs on any fence or gate.

Ken Hughes 24-01-10 02:10

A dog with a snake

Now you know why i never went to live in Australia,no bloody snakes here in NZ,well i hope not anyway.

aj.lec 24-01-10 02:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob McNeill (Post 125083)
Shame on you AJ everybody knows only crims own guns in NSW, a piece of 8guage wire lays along the ground nicely, it hangs on any fence or gate.

:D :D :D
Still too close to the slippery little rascals with wire
We will call the other CMP and family protection equipment :teach:

hrpearce 24-01-10 06:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj.lec (Post 125065)
Well you are not Robinson Crusoe there Tony :doh:
Shovels are not ideal for the job .It is better using something that throws lead around 1000+ fps :D

If you have read previous posts you would know I agree with you but this bugger was between me and the gun safe so my choices were limited. :bang:

Ganmain Tony 24-01-10 10:10

An oldie but a goodie

Appropriate for this thread - Bathurst Newspaper front page headline reads;

'ORANGE WOMAN BITTEN BY BROWN SNAKE'

For our overseas lads - Orange is a town near Bathurst

aj.lec 24-01-10 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony (Post 125107)
Appropriate for this thread - Bathurst Newspaper front page headline reads;

'ORANGE WOMAN BITTEN BY BROWN SNAKE'

For our overseas lads - Orange is a town near Bathurst

Looks like you need to break out some more 8 gauge wire in your town Bob :salute:
Must have been one of the ones you let out of the bottle :D

Bob McNeill 24-01-10 12:00

tis the season

The local copper who is also the snake catcher is flat out with 2-3 a day, with 800 new homes being built in former rural farm land and low dam levels we are moving into their domain. Last week one was found in the main street, (outside Blowes Real Estate office ).

aj.lec 24-01-10 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob McNeill (Post 125117)
we are moving into their domain. Last week one was found in the main street, (outside Blowes Real Estate office ).

Smart snake must have been looking in to a bit of real estate for a resettlement plan :D :D
I would say the salesman wasnt very keen on the new customer though thinking he looked like a bit of a slippery operator :D

Bob McNeill 25-01-10 10:10

slippery

at least the snakes belly was higher than the estate agents.

aj.lec 14-11-11 10:08

Tis the season again :bang:
Snakes are out and about in large numbers
Touch wood not in my yard but have been in 2 out of 4 of my neighbours
Was a very good season for them last year with all the mice around
They are very healthy and large for this time of the year
Just spent the last hour trying to coax a 2 metre brown out from under about 5 tons of brick rubble............... unfortunately didnt work and gave up after the light faded
Hopefully the blue cattle dog marks on his backside might have done enough damage to make it deceased

hrpearce 14-11-11 10:49

I got a brown snake on the way home in the semi, 16 ton of truck ruined his day :rolleyes

Howard 14-11-11 22:06

Snn.... Snn... Snnnaaakkkeeee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj.lec (Post 155894)
...Just spent the last hour trying to coax a 2 metre brown out from under about 5 tons of brick rubble............... unfortunately didnt work and gave up after the light faded...

A saucer of milk will coax him out, they can't resist it... but if his spine is injured he will more than likley die and make a good pong under those bricks! Keep an eye out for meat ants, a sure sign of a dead snake!

Little Jo 15-11-11 00:26

Teach the wife

Hi Guys

Snakes are a problem every summer for those folk who live in the country and I don't care what the conservationists say. in my world if they come near the house, they are a dead snake. I thought I would share one of many encounters with you. :teach:

My wife called out to me that she saw a big brown near a lamb which had just been born. I said run up to the house and get my shotgun and some cartriges while I keep an eye on the snake. She came back with my .303 and a packet of .22 bullets. So I killed it with the rack I was leaning on. You can tell my wife is not into weapons. :doh:

Cheers

Tony :no4: :no4:

Bob Moseley (RIP) 15-11-11 05:14

Teach Yourself

Hey Tony - if you will leave .22 bullets next to a .303 rifle what is Jo expected to do.

:p Bob

Mike Cecil 20-11-11 02:53

Point the rifle and yell...'BANG'????

Ahhh, snakes: glad to have left them behind, but am now wary of (1) Bears -both Black and Grizzly (2) Cougars/Mountain Lions (3) Moose (4) Coyotes (5) Bison (yes, even they are known to maul stupid humans who show no respect).... and Americans say they are fearful of visiting Oz because of the nasties!! Go figure that one out..... :giveup :doh:

Mike C

Ganmain Tony 20-11-11 03:56

Eastern Brown

1 Attachment(s)
On Site at the Grain Corp Silo's, Matong. About 5 and a 1/2 feet long.

Tis the season Down Under....

hrpearce 20-11-12 10:06

I had to use a shovel again. I was erecting a tempoary electric fence around some freshly cemented gate and strainer posts when a four foot brown tried to occupy the pile of old wooden posts and stays that I had removed. Betty saw the snake and kept an eye on it while I grabbed the shovel.

motto 01-12-12 14:11

Snakes and shovels

Many years ago a friend from Brisbane and myself went down to Grafton to look at some gear and the lady who owned the property went in to open up the shed for us. She came out and told us there was a snake in amongst some packing material just inside the big doors and gave us a shovel each so as to take care of it. We carefully slid the doors open and positioned ourselves ready for action. I put my shovel under the edge of a sheet of cardboard and flicked it away to reveal a good sized tiger snake. The snake was trying to escape but couldn't get a grip on the smooth concrete. What then took place would have won a prize on Funniest Home Videos as we went into a shovel clanging frenzy spoiling each others aim time and again as the snake writhed around on the floor. The situation was only saved when I stood back and left George to it. I thought it was hilarious but the poor snake didn't see it that way.

As an aside, my late father who was something of a bushman would kill any snake he encountered and if there was nothing to hand to kill it with I've seen him grab them by the tail and crack them like a whip. When this is done correctly the head is torn off. I can't even crack a whip so I know damn well that if I tried it with a snake I would end up with it wrapped around my neck.

My most recent encounter with a snake was somewhat of an education. I was standing in the doorway of Simon Allen's shed (He who manufactures new Dodge Command Car bodies) chatting with him when a mouse went past outside squeaking in terror and kicking up puffs of dust as it hurtled across the yard with a 3'6" Tiger snake in hot pursuit. I never imagined the damn things could travel so fast, you would have to run quite fast to keep up with it. Just as well they don't hunt humans.

David