MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   need info on this......... (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23)

luc désormeaux 09-02-03 19:58

need info on this.........

1 Attachment(s)
hi everyone,
anybody can tell me what are the first two vehicle in this pic??
The text says that the pic was taken in Courseulles and that these vehicles belong to THE REGINA RIFLES.

Stewart Loy 09-02-03 20:16

It looks to me like the first one is a Dodge truck, the second is a FAT ( Field Artillery Tractor).

Stewart

luc désormeaux 09-02-03 20:22

thanks stewart,
the canadian army used dodge trucks ?? Can you give me an idea about the model used??
thanks

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 09-02-03 20:22

Naw, don't think so, Stewart... those look like British vehicles - our British friends will know the first one (Austin?), but the second I'm almost positive is a Morris Quad. Similar in layout to the 12-cab CGT, though.

These won't be in service with the Reginas, though; in Normandy everything moved when it could find a space anywhere. I suspect they're just happening to share the same piece of road as the Reginas' CMPs, behind, at this moment in time captured by the cameraman.

Nick Bullock 09-02-03 20:57

truck ID

Hi Luc

The first truck is a Bedford MW 15cwt and the following vehicle a Morris Commercial Quad, both are of UK manufacture.

regards

Nick

luc désormeaux 09-02-03 21:13

Quote:

Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Naw, don't think so, Stewart... those look like British vehicles - our British friends will know the first one (Austin?), but the second I'm almost positive is a Morris Quad. Similar in layout to the 12-cab CGT, though.

These won't be in service with the Reginas, though; in Normandy everything moved when it could find a space anywhere. I suspect they're just happening to share the same piece of road as the Reginas' CMPs, behind, at this moment in time captured by the cameraman.

geoff,
are these vehicles may be attached to the reginas?? The sign on the fender of the first vehicle ( 2 in white with a white band on top) sound canadian or british??
thanks

Richard Farrant 09-02-03 22:46

Bedford MW

The first truck in the picture is as already identified, a Bedford MW. It does in fact appear to be a water tanker and the motorcycle is sitting across the tank. If it were a normal 15cwt GS body, you would see the body projecting behind the cab, as it is wider.

Richard

Richard Farrant 10-02-03 00:47

unit markings

Quote:

Originally posted by luc désormeaux
geoff,
are these vehicles may be attached to the reginas?? The sign on the fender of the first vehicle ( 2 in white with a white band on top) sound canadian or british??
thanks

Luc,
I think that I may have identified the Bedford's unit and possibly the Morris Comm FAT behind (it looks as if it also has a 2 on the sign).
According to the landing info, I see that the Regina Rifles landed on Nan beach, also landing there was Bty 2 Royal Marines Armoured Support Regt. Now, looking at the very useful book by Jean Bouchery, "The British Soldier", the only unit sign with the figure 2 on is Armd. Support Regt. Royal Marines. The background colour of the sign is made up of horizontal bands, from the top; Blue, Yellow, Green, Red, Blue.
The white band across the top of the sign denotes Corps troops.

Richard