MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ford Transmission Question (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32914)

Barry Churcher 24-10-21 20:00

Ford Transmission Question

I have a friend who wants to buy a transmission for a F15a. I have a F15A to take one out of but I am not sure if all the Fords are interchangeable. Being a Chevy guy I am not up on Ford peculiarities. I would assume they are all the same.
Thanks, Barry

Tony Smith 24-10-21 20:05

Any F15A/F30/F60S/F60L transmission from any model cab will interchange.

If he still has the old transmission, components can be made to work with F8/F15/MCP/Carrier/Comm Truck.

Lynn Eades 25-10-21 05:06

As an extension to your parts supply, the cluster gear and the other gears are interchangeable from a Dodge 4 speed crash box. The input shaft is not. The lid is not, but the selector forks and shafts are. The reverse idler is also interchangeable. Some Ford boxes have bronze thrust washers at the cluster, while the Dodge (New Process) box does not. The bearings are all the same. The intermediate bearing (caged roller) is a Hyatt 99000. Watch what oil you use as the reverse idler runs on a bronze bush. Should be GL1 80. There are different main shafts (output shafts)

maple_leaf_eh 25-10-21 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn Eades (Post 282780)
As an extension to your parts supply, the cluster gear and the other gears are interchangeable from a Dodge 4 speed crash box. .....

Slightly tangential question - how many forward speeds on a CMP - three or four? I only ask because I was joking about wanting another gear on my M151A2 Jeep. The engine has power and the vehicle wants to go faster, but the transmission has LOW, starting gear, cruising gear and not fast enough.

rob love 25-10-21 18:05

Terry
A M151A2 will easily cruise at 65 mph. That is more than fast enough to ensure your demise should anything go wrong with your trajectory or the vehicle itself.

Lynn Eades 25-10-21 21:45

Terry, The Ford CMP truck(or Dodge) boxes are 4 speed crash boxes. Sit one of those in your 1/4 tonner along with the associated transfer case along with your lunch and you'll be nearly fully loaded. Based on what Rob says, There are better vehicles for land speed record attempts. :)

Barry Churcher 26-10-21 02:49

Thanks guys for your informative info. :teach:
Cheers,
Barry

maple_leaf_eh 26-10-21 22:43

My M151A2 speed record is 55 mph with no roof and only the roll bars. But there are some circumstances when I'd like to keep up with the quality of the asphalt, and still back it off for control on corners.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No back to the original question!

rob love 26-10-21 22:55

Max speed given for the 151A2 is 66 mph. If yours doesn't do that, get it tuned up properly. If you want faster than that, get a Dodge Ram 2500 with diesel and a 14 foot trailer to put the M151A2 on.