MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   ID This Brass Gauge Block (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34475)

Lionelgee 01-12-23 03:45

3 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

Here is a question to the engineers amongst the forum. What do you think this brass block was made for?

I visited one of the local scrap metal merchants to buy some brass. I found a 50 mm square solid brass block with the following inscribed

1.438 DIA.
INV#10495

It seems like a precision made engineering gauge for measuring such things as rubber 'O' rings or seals to check to see if they are made within a specific tolerance. Well, that is my guess. How close to the mark am I?

Kind regards
Lionel

Attachment 136501

Attachment 136502

Attachment 136503

Mike Kelly 01-12-23 10:59

Block

Hi Lionel
Yep it appears to be a gauge but the actual use is uncertain. Your guess would be pretty close. It looks to be rather worn and in rough condition, not what I would describe as being high precision. Brass comes in various grades with different % of elements in the alloy, some types are harder.

Lionelgee 01-12-23 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kelly (Post 294875)
Hi Lionel
Yep it appears to be a gauge but the actual use is uncertain. Your guess would be pretty close. It looks to be rather worn and in rough condition, not what I would describe as being high precision. Brass comes in various grades with different % of elements in the alloy, some types are harder.

Hello Mike,

I am glad that you consider the block to be in rough condition. I bought the brass block to use with plug welding rust holes in automotive sheet metal. Am I right in thinking that either brass or copper could be used as a backing when welding up rust holes in sheet metal? I just had a look online and there are some brands of plug welding pliers that feature a copper-plate top jaw.

Of the two options copper or brass - which one is the best option for carrying out plug welds in sheetmetal? Or the two equal to the job?

Kind regards
Lionel

Grant Bowker 01-12-23 15:42

I've always heard of the backing plate for welding as copper rather than brass but hat doesn't mean brass might not be as good - just never tried it.
The gauge block looks to me as if the round end might have been a cylinder shape that has been cut off at some time - just guessing though.

Mike Kelly 01-12-23 23:57

Copper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionelgee (Post 294882)
Hello Mike,

Of the two options copper or brass - which one is the best option for carrying out plug welds in sheetmetal? Or the two equal to the job?

Kind regards
Lionel

Brass has a high % of Zinc which means it might make welding difficult. Always handy to have a block of brass so I am sure you can still put it to good use. Maybe buy a lathe and machine it down into something you need i.e. shims.

Lionelgee 02-12-23 02:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kelly (Post 294886)
Brass has a high % of Zinc which means it might make welding difficult.

Hello Mike,

You are correct. I just had a yarn with a boilermaker and either copper or aluminium is the drum. Copper being the first preference. Not brass as it does impede welding. Oh well, I now have a very effective paperweight and a curio.

Kind regards
Lionel