MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Bovington Carrier (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20983)

Ron Pier 21-09-13 22:03

Bovington Carrier

5 Attachment(s)
We spoke about the carrier at the tank museum recently. I've been there today and taken a few pics. Ron

Ron Pier 21-09-13 22:06

4 Attachment(s)
A few more. Ron

Ron Pier 21-09-13 22:11

4 Attachment(s)
And the Loyd carrier that we also spoke of. What about the picture of the strange wheel track arrangement taken on Salisbury plain? Ron

Ron Pier 21-09-13 22:18

1 Attachment(s)
And the new lottery funded £2.5 million hall built to house the reserve collection. Not generally open to the public. We got a good look round and under wraps are lots of vehicles from Beverly being stored until the Army vehicles museum can find places to house them properly. Ron

Lynn Eades 21-09-13 22:28

Ron, The Loyd you refer to is a Vickers Carden Loyd Tankette, usually called a Tankette as opposed to a Loyd carrier.

Richard Farrant 21-09-13 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pier (Post 185904)
And the new lottery funded £2.5 million hall built to house the reserve collection. Not generally open to the public. We got a good look round and under wraps are lots of vehicles from Beverly being stored until the Army vehicles museum can find places to house them properly. Ron

I took some overseas friends to the museum after W&P and we were given a viewing of the new facility. The Curator said the vehicles were from the National Army Museum collection which has been in store at Stevenage, but moved whilst building work is going on up there.

Ron Pier 22-09-13 08:31

1 Attachment(s)
Yes Lynn remiss of me to miss out 'Carden' But the museum call it a carrier.
Yes Richard I also had a long chat with David Willy (try and stop him). and yes the vehicles came from Stevenage but lots of those were in store from Beverly. The National army museum had collected theirs after the roof had collapse! It seems they are preparing a facility at Chelsea, but the Tank museum are uncertain about the time scale and the room available. They are more than willing to house any armoured stuff and have agreed to hold the soft skin under wraps for a maximum of two years. Shame this stuff is not on display. From what I could see by peering through the poly sheets, there are some rare and interesting vehicles and nicely restored. Ron

Kuno 22-09-13 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pier (Post 185903)
What about the picture of the strange wheel track arrangement taken on Salisbury plain? Ron

I guess it is a system comparable to what Saurer in Austria had used - the vehicle could be lifted up and drive on roads on its three wheels instead of on the tracks (the Saurer had four wheels though).

shaun 11-10-13 08:38

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pier (Post 185904)

It's a big building ! I was temporary storing a lot of vehicles for the NAM , then we moved them all into that building back in July. The is a carrier in the building belonging to NAM. It's a Brit built MK 2

Ron Pier 11-10-13 11:39

Yes Shaun. Those are exactly the vehicles I was looking at under poly wraps.

Oh to win the lottery and able to buy a huge shed/barn.....with a little caravan in the corner to live in :cheers: Ron

Tim Bell 11-10-13 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun (Post 186711)
It's a big building ! I was temporary storing a lot of vehicles for the NAM , then we moved them all into that building back in July. The is a carrier in the building belonging to NAM. It's a Brit built MK 2

Like the Bedford MW... is it a 25pdr Portee?

Cheers

Tim

Ron Pier 11-10-13 16:40

1 Attachment(s)
No that's a 2 pounder. Which is ridiculous as I have one and never saw that one. The poly was very opaque so I must have missed it. Ron

Roddy de Normann 11-10-13 21:13

Bovvy Carrier

Ron -

Ref the Carrier makers plate...the T No seems v strange...772152...could the 7 have been stamped twice ?

Roddy

Ron Pier 11-10-13 22:49

1 Attachment(s)
Well I've blown that number up and it actually reads 77ZT52 ?
I think I can see file marks. Could this be post war number from it's test bed days? Ron

Hanno Spoelstra 12-10-13 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bell (Post 186716)
Like the Bedford MW... is it a 25pdr Portee?

Like Ron said, it's a 2-pdr AT gun in the back of an MW, which is masquerading as an MWG - read more about the Bedford MWG here

Hanno

Roddy de Normann 12-10-13 17:49

77zt52

Ron -

Yup...stupid me

Roddy

shaun 12-10-13 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pier (Post 186715)
Yes Shaun. Those are exactly the vehicles I was looking at under poly wraps.

Oh to win the lottery and able to buy a huge shed/barn.....with a little caravan in the corner to live in :cheers: Ron

Ron I had them ALL in one of my hangers for 6 months !

shaun 12-10-13 22:04

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of photos of the vehicles and a flying carrier being unloaded in my yard.

Not quite a carrier but !