MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fuel change over valve thread? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30123)

Tom Millward 19-05-19 23:21

Fuel change over valve thread?

I’m looking for the BSP adapters that fit in the early Mk1* Carrier fuel change over valve. Can anyone tell me the thread type in the valve? Is it a BSP to BSP adapter, or is the thread in the valve UNF? I’m finding it quite difficult to find the correct style of adapter.

Cheers.

charlie fitton 20-05-19 11:43

All I can find in the parts manual is that the adapter (CTL3485B) is interchangeable with NA/AG3233
Ford USA part number is GAE 9279

Tom Millward 21-05-19 12:26

Thanks Charlie, any idea where I can find the ford part number. I tried googling it but all that came up was this post.

Dave Schindel 03-07-19 22:29

I think the part # Charlie gave you is for the adaptor at the fuel pump. The adaptor that I believe he is asking about is a C31UCW-104142 at the fuel selector valve.I am looking for these as well and am having no luck.From manual UC0M1.
Cheers,Dave

Tom Millward 04-07-19 00:42

Hi Dave, after picking the brains of a few Carrier gurus, we’ve worked out that the change over valve adapters for my valve are taper thread bsp in the valve and straight thread bsp to the fuel line. 1/2” bsp both sides I think. These can be found on line fairly easily.

Dave Schindel 04-07-19 01:36

Thanks Tom. I will do some checking . May not be as readily available this side of the pond.

Ron Pier 04-07-19 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Millward (Post 261725)
Hi Dave, after picking the brains of a few Carrier gurus, we’ve worked out that the change over valve adapters for my valve are taper thread bsp in the valve and straight thread bsp to the fuel line. 1/2” bsp both sides I think. These can be found on line fairly easily.

I think it's 1/4 BSP Tom, although the outside diameter of the thread is about 1/2". BSP is a strange system based on the inside diameter of the pipe. Ron

Tom Millward 04-07-19 09:39

You're quite right Ron. Thanks for the correction, it's the oil cooler lines that are 1/2" bsp I think?

Tom Millward 04-07-19 09:40

Dave, I will find out where I got my adapters from and let you know.

Dave Schindel 04-07-19 17:04

OK thanks Tom

Ron Pier 07-07-19 20:38

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the loan of your gear change support bracket Tom. I copied it and fitted it today. Cheers Ron

Tom Millward 09-07-19 15:52

No problem Ron, glad I could help. Could you do me a favour and let me know the dimensions of the angle iron strip that goes over the top of the Stacey towing attachment.

Cheers,

Ron Pier 10-07-19 07:16

1 Attachment(s)
Tom you need some 1 1/4"x 1 1/4"x 1/4" angle iron. Mine is just under 32" long. Ron

Paul Dutton 17-07-19 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pier (Post 261729)
I think it's 1/4 BSP Tom, although the outside diameter of the thread is about 1/2". BSP is a strange system based on the inside diameter of the pipe. Ron

Hi guys
The thread will be 1/4” Para-Taper for the fuel lines and they are 1/2” on the oil cooler lines. These are readily available in brass off the shelf. I have them in stock if needed either in plated steel, brass or brass plated. Any hoses you need making up, I can make from patterns or pictures and dimensions supplied, in plain black rubber or braided fuel hose, with crimped fittings and external spring guard in the case of the oil lines :thup2:

Tom Millward 19-07-19 08:48

Good to know, thanks Paul. I may need some oil cooler lines as I’ve used originals and have been informed that they have a tendency to split. I’ll get my engine back in the hull and give them a good look over. Don’t want to lose all my oil on its maiden voyage!

Phil Waterman 19-07-19 19:17

Question about location of the valve

Hi

Have a question about relative position of the selector valve to the fuel tanks. Is it above the level of the top of the tank?

Reason I ask is that when the same valve is used on Chevy C60S it is mounted above the tank, and of course is on the suction side of the fuel pump . This location was the cause of a major intermittent fuel starvation problem with my truck. Some times after switching tanks air would leak in around the tapper of the valve.

Cheers Phil

Lynn Eades 20-07-19 00:16

Yes Phil they are slightly above the tanks.
I am told that jewellers rouge is the stuff to use, to lap in the brass tapers.

Paul Dutton 20-07-19 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Millward (Post 261950)
Good to know, thanks Paul. I may need some oil cooler lines as I’ve used originals and have been informed that they have a tendency to split. I’ll get my engine back in the hull and give them a good look over. Don’t want to lose all my oil on its maiden voyage!

No problem Tom, let me know if I can help :thup2:
Paul