MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Nathans C60L (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29521)

Nathan O'Malley 03-11-18 11:05

Nathans C60L

5 Attachment(s)
G'day all

So I saw a newspaper snippet a few weeks back listing a clearing sale in which 3 Chev Blitzes were being sold, I told myself you already have a ford to fix leave them for someone else.

yeah like i had the willpower to resist, I placed a bid on one of the two C60L's at the sale I hadn't seen the truck other than its photo and I had to work the day of the sale so I was modest in my bid and I was told I had lost the truck by $50 oh well you win some you lose some I thought.

The next day I received a phone call from the auctioneer informing me that there had been a clerical error which meant id actually won the truck! okay cool heading on to R&R so I thought I best go and have a look at my new Blitz and see if i was a complete numpty or not.

So you can imagine my surprise when I pulled up and discovered a truck that looked as though it had just stepped out of 1944!
when I picked myself up off the ground I took a few million photos and then came home to do some research. Keith Webb helpful as always identified it as ARN 141873 and a WO48 stores truck.

Today we headed back out to the property to prep the truck for transport and collect the smaller loose items before some opportunistic scrappy thought he'd do the same.
we hooked up the battery gave her a little fuel and on the first turn she fired and idled perfectly I couldn't be happier with the old girl and i cant wait to get it home and start what should be a very limited restoration.

Nathan O'Malley 03-11-18 11:34

Lots of neat stuff

5 Attachment(s)
After retiring from fire service use this Chev had spent the last 40 years hiding in a shed on a farm, the farmer stating he never got around to doing anything with it and it shows, there is a lot of components in it I never expected to see let alone see in the condition that they are in.

Grant Bowker 03-11-18 14:40

Now that you've seen the one, do you wish you had bid on both? In any case - congratulations.

Nathan O'Malley 03-11-18 15:26

Thank you.

The other C60L was in pretty poor condition it was a parts wreck even so it is unfortunate that it went to a scrappy.

The C15 next to this one in the images is in fairly decent condition but nowhere near this particular truck.

Hanno Spoelstra 03-11-18 15:30

Great catch! Shows there are still viable projects out there waiting to be found. I reckon there will be more of them now that the first generation who snapped up these trucks from army sales, or the ones who first acquired them for restoration are slowly fading away.

H.

Tony Smith 04-11-18 09:10

Looks like a 235 Blue Flame engine, nice find.

Nathan O'Malley 06-11-19 06:13

Sorry for the time between posts

4 Attachment(s)
Hi folks

Has been a long time since i updated anything on here and i apoligize i know there is a few fellas that follow my trucks who are'nt on facebook.

I get tunnel vision when im busy which for the Chev has been quite a good thing we are nearing its 1st anniversary of its purchase.

At the moment the old girl is close to completion im hoping for a roadworthy before ANZAC day however that may be a little too ambitious.

So heres a few teasers of where we are with it now, I will get some full write ups going on how we got here before too much longer.

:drunk:

Nathan O'Malley 06-11-19 07:43

The Trip Home

4 Attachment(s)
Part of the reason I never wanted a 60L was getting the things home if youre sneaky you can get a 15A home on one of those magical hired car trailers you cant do that with a 60L.

So we had to get the chev home somehow luckily enough i grew up on a farm and we know all the farmers in the local area and one very helpful bloke allowed us to borrow his Semi for a tank of fuel and a carton of beer. cannot thank that fella enough hes been invaluble in the restoration of this truck.

Once again i was on my long swing for the solar farm construction job and unable to head out to pick the truck up so the old man & my grandfather went out to collect it.

No dramas the Chev performed perfectly and happily drove itself on to the Semi for the hour journey home.

The stop at the Tailem Bend service station was an amusing one Dad has gone in to pay for the fuel and come back to 8 truckies staring at the odd creature on the trailer its amazing in Australia how much attention these old trucks attract everyone either remembers them as Grandpas old farm truck or the first thing they ever learned to drive in.

Howard 07-11-19 11:06

Great stuff, Nathan!