MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Canadian Army jeep trailer (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9653)

Hanno Spoelstra 02-10-07 22:09

Canadian Army jeep trailer

1 Attachment(s)
Pictured below is a trailer which is/was owned by John Marchant. Interesting to see both the CMD and census number surviving.

Does anybody have more info on the 1/4-ton Bantam BRC / Willys MBT trailer in Canadian Army service?

Thanks,
Hanno

Ian Fawbert 04-10-07 02:04

Hi Hanno,

While unfrotunately i dont have any info on the trailers, i just thougt i would point out the nomenclature you have given this trailer-

While trailers were made by Bantam, they werent BRC's (that was the protptype jeep). The model of trailer made by Bantam during the war was the T3, superceded post war by the T3C.

You got the Willys side of things correct!

As a side note, there was also a range of other manufacturers during the war who built this style of trailer (i think somewhere around about 8 more?)- so they werent all T3/MBT's. There are lists of the producers and production numbers in several posts on g503.com in the 1/4 ton trailer section if your interested.

Cheers,

Ian.

Hanno Spoelstra 04-10-07 11:33

Quote:

Originally posted by Ian Fawbert
While unfrotunately i dont have any info on the trailers, i just thougt i would point out the nomenclature you have given this trailer-
Ian, of course you are right about the nomenclature of this trailer, thanks.

Let me rephrase the question: does anybody have more info on the US-built 1/4-ton jeep trailer in Canadian Army service?

Thanks,

Hanno Spoelstra 05-10-07 13:52

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of a US-built 10-cwt trailer towed by a 15-cwt truck.

Quote:

Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra in wartime CMP F15A pictures
Reportedly, this is a Royal Canadian Dragoons vehicle which was pictured at a place called De Blesse. Census number seems to be CZ4256418, if I read it right.

Attachment 110296

Eric B 12-10-07 15:34

Hello Hanno

We bought a large quantity of US 1/4 ton trailers. Both Bantam and Willys were used.
We modified some of these for 10cwt by changing the springs, moving the spring plates, adding handles and then also adding the extra pintle hook and plug to make a trailer train.

We had some of these modified for Mortar carriers and other specialty roles.

Usually the CMD number was removed when it was assigned to a Unit and the standard CZ number added.

I am looking for data on these as well as i wish to include trailers in my next WW2 Jeep book. I have some serial numbers as well as War Department numbers.

The Navy as well as the Airforce used these besides the army.

Thanks
Please feel free to contact me if you need more info.

Eric

Eric B 12-10-07 15:35

CDN Trailer

OOps i meant CX number

Eric

Jason Ginn 10-02-17 02:31

1 Attachment(s)
Well seeing as I recently bought the sad remains of a Canadian MBT I thought that I'd post a pic I found from LAC of one in service. Looks like MP use behind a CMP.

Johan WILLAERT 07-11-19 13:23

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Bumping this back to the top with a couple of questions on a Canadian used Bantam T3 Trailer

We are just about finishing a full nut& bolt restoration of Bantam T3 #22885, DoD 29th June 1943. Body Box number is 52902.

The original dataplate clearly shows that it had been delivered to the Canadian Defence Forces (the US manual lists have been crossed out and replaced with Canandian info), and the trailer still had the longer heavy duty springs with relocated spring brackets and gussets , the tandem trailer triangle kit and the holes for the tandem trailer receptacle box at the right rear corner of the body box. So it was restored back to these Canadian specs...

Only things left to do now are new tyres, shocks, a final coat of OD on the inside of the box and applying the CX number on the rear panel.
Since there are no official lists for the CX number, we chose number CX4252902, as most numbers I see on original photos start with CX42 and added the box number 52902 to come up with something that looks good…

Now for my questions…

1. Since this trailer was delivered with a standard US Army type dataplate which was then altered to Canadian specs and not the plate with the Canadian manual numbers directly printed on the plate; would it have been delivered with a blue drab U.S.A. registration Number on the rear panel, only to be covered with the CX number?

2. When applying the 4" CX number, what would be the best location, seeing that it doesn't fit between the rear reflectors? centered on the rear panel as shown on my photo? Or should I use 3" stencils?

3. Would it have had unit markings…? Jeep which will generally tow it is marked to the RHLI, 2nd Division.

Will post more photos once all is completed!

THANKS!!

Jack Geratic 08-11-19 06:00

1 Attachment(s)
This may or may not be of interest:
http://wwiijeepparts.com/Archives/JeepTrailer.html

For the WD number, official dimensions were 3 1/2 inches in height, and not more than 2 1/2 inches width (per individual digit). The width of the "brushstroke" would be 5/8 inch.

Attachment 109983

regards,
Jack

Johan WILLAERT 08-11-19 09:20

Thx for posting that…

Although 5th Division and relatively early war it sure helps!

Cheers,

Johan

Jack Geratic 08-11-19 17:12

Hi Johan, the instructions for WD numbers is the standard set out in an Appendix "A" for all Canadian units - it just happens that the example quoted is from 5th CDN Armd War Diaries. The only variation one might find is the style of font.

regards,
Jack

Johan WILLAERT 08-11-19 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Geratic (Post 264422)
Hi Johan, the instructions for WD numbers is the standard set out in an Appendix "A" for all Canadian units - it just happens that the example quoted is from 5th CDN Armd War Diaries. The only variation one might find is the style of font.

regards,
Jack

Thx again!

Ed Storey 08-11-19 21:46

Canadian Army Jeep Trailer

Johan, the big question is do you plan to oil down the bodywork once the restoration work is complete....?

Eric B 12-11-19 23:29

CX Trailer

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Johan

I hope that you have not painted the markings on yet.

Your original WD is CX5712917 :)

I do not have the unit it was attached too.

The WD number was across the back and the front of the trailer. It has been seen along the bottom, middle and top left on the rear in both as original stencil and filled in.

With the larger springs your trailer was converted to 10CWT.

It is unusual that the data plate was re-stamped.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Johan WILLAERT 13-11-19 09:06

Thx, Eric...
Havent marked it yet!

How about a possible USA number because of the restamped plate instead of a pre-made plate with Canadian info?

I will try to make out the size of the stencil from your original photo above

Cheers,

Johan

Johan WILLAERT 21-11-19 11:27

3 Attachment(s)
Here it is...
Will stencil the correct number next weekend...
Only thing left is better tires...

Maurice Donckers 22-11-19 08:09

I have got one with towing hook , with bigger springs , but hangers are also then on another position .
On mine there where never holes drilled for the electric socket box , on another ex Canadian one I saw there was also no hole for the socket box.

Johan WILLAERT 24-11-19 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice Donckers (Post 264819)
I have got one with towing hook , with bigger springs , but hangers are also then on another position .
On mine there where never holes drilled for the electric socket box , on another ex Canadian one I saw there was also no hole for the socket box.

Thanks Maurice, yes the spring hangers have been moved forward and backwards about 3-4" to accept the longer spring packs

Johan WILLAERT 27-11-19 10:39

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric B (Post 264542)
Hello Johan
Your original WD is CX5712917 :)

Thx Eric! Stencilled the number last night...

Johan WILLAERT 01-12-19 14:35

2 Attachment(s)
Fitting used, but not abused, tires with wear that matches the rest of the trailer...
Attachment 110564

All finished and taken for a testdrive...
Attachment 110697

Ed Storey 09-12-19 13:26

Jeep Trailer

Looks good, but how come I don't see any snow?

Johan WILLAERT 09-12-19 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Storey (Post 265337)
Looks good, but how come I don't see any snow?

This is Flanders, not Alaska...

Eric B 13-12-19 02:44

very nicely done

Looking good.

Eric

Robert Bergeron 13-12-19 03:56

Looking very good . Nice hook in the back . Any pictures of the elusive Jeep trailer trains ?

Johan WILLAERT 13-12-19 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric B (Post 265437)
Looking good.

Eric

Thx, Eric!

Johan WILLAERT 13-12-19 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron (Post 265439)
Looking very good . Nice hook in the back . Any pictures of the elusive Jeep trailer trains ?

Thx, been looking for a photo of multiple trailers towed by a Jeep too, but so far no succes...

Hanno Spoelstra 08-03-20 16:47

Excellent info and great work gentlemen! Thanks for sharing so others can learn from it.

Remko 25-06-20 17:49

3 Attachment(s)
Just like the one from Johan, my Willys MBT

Found and bought for Hfl 250 (Dutch Florijn) back in 1997

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Qf...-no?authuser=1

Original number (No CX prefix) on the side panel
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/dV...-no?authuser=1

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/VG...-no?authuser=1

restored

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SoZnzm3bomKxZFhM8

RCEME markings re painted like found on original sheet metal.

Hanno Spoelstra 15-09-21 11:08

1 Attachment(s)
"A Canadian Army 10-cwt trailer, January 1949, RCAF Station Rockliffe, Ontario. Library and Archives Canada photo."

Attachment 124725

Johan WILLAERT 26-09-21 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 281922)
"A Canadian Army 10-cwt trailer, January 1949, RCAF Station Rockliffe, Ontario. Library and Archives Canada photo."

Attachment 124725

Thx for posting this!