MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What is it..again! (#2) (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31703)

Bob Phillips 13-11-20 02:36

What is it..again! (#2)

2 Attachment(s)
Here is another treasure unearthed in recent days. These were apparently used on Shermans, Stuarts and what else? Does anyone know if there were different versions for each vehicle or does one size fit all? Any insights appreciated.

Attachment 117418 Attachment 117419

Robert Bergeron 13-11-20 04:27

Nice piece of kit for Canadian winters and peacetime ....

David Herbert 13-11-20 12:45

It does look like one for a small hatch Sherman. There were similar hoods for most American armoured vehicle hull hatches but they were tailored to fit each vehicle type so it was only the style that was common.

Commanders generally had enough vision devices that they didn't need a purpose built windscreen / hood and could just close down if it got too cold or wet. However in practice these bad weather hoods were not very popular and are not often seen in period photos.

David

Hanno Spoelstra 13-11-20 17:29

Sherman Driver's Hood and Windshield for use in foul weather

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Phillips (Post 273836)
Here is another treasure unearthed in recent days. These were apparently used on Shermans, Stuarts and what else? Does anyone know if there were different versions for each vehicle or does one size fit all? Any insights appreciated

Like David said, it certainly looks like a small hatch hull Sherman "driver's hatch hood" for use in foul weather . If you post a photo of the underside I can tell you more.

Sherman V OP in Caen:
Attachment 117423
Source: https://flic.kr/p/28zpi7g

While the tiny fittings (arrow) were installed early on, it is thought that supplies of the "driver's windshield and hood" only became available to the Detroit Tank Arsenal at about the same time as the dust cover. For power, the windshield wiper and defroster were plugged into a utility outlet on the instrument panel. When not in use, this item was stored on a shelf above the transmission.
Attachment 117425
Source: http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_m..._variants.html

Driver's Hood and Windshield installed on a large hatch Sherman. As the hatch was larger, the windshield was wider, but it was of the same construction. Indeed these windshields were made for other tanks as well.
Attachment 117424

Bob Phillips 13-11-20 20:57

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of inside shots showing wiper motor, plug and switches. Appears to have both wiper and heater/defroster elements in the glass.

Attachment 117428 Attachment 117429

Mike Cecil 13-11-20 21:19

New Thread?

Hanno,

Would this windscreen assembly be better on its own thread?

Mike

Hanno Spoelstra 14-11-20 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cecil (Post 273856)
Hanno,

Would this windscreen assembly be better on its own thread?

Mike

Good call, done

Hanno Spoelstra 14-11-20 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Phillips (Post 273855)
Here are a couple of inside shots showing wiper motor, plug and switches. Appears to have both wiper and heater/defroster elements in the glass.

As far as I can see, the semi circular base on the bottom of the windshield matches the gutter of the small hatch Sherman.

Bob Phillips 15-11-20 00:29

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks for help with identification Hanno, all I need now is the small hatch Sherman to go with it! After I posted the second bunch of photos I got to thinking about a similar item I had bought 25 years ago. They were similar windshield type fixtures. I thought I had sold them all but I went out this morning to my storage yard and went digging. I found two left in a racoon infested bus ( gloves, mask and spray disinfectant required) and offer up a couple of photos. These must be 1950s NATO but I have no idea what application. They look very similar!

Attachment 117438 Attachment 117439 Attachment 117440 Attachment 117441

David Herbert 15-11-20 11:53

I don't think that that is a NATO stock number. If it was the '99' would make it a British item.
Note that this is not an AFV bad weather windshield to fit into a hatch opening but a (very) cold weather defroster to stick onto the inside of an existing windshield, and it talks about being for a car. If it was British it would use the word 'windscreen' instead of 'windshield' so I would guess it is Canadian or USA origin despite the German (?) packaging. Could it be for Canadian contract Iltis ?

David

Richard Farrant 15-11-20 13:18

The screen appears to have been made by SWF, a German auto parts manufacturer. As the instructions are in English they may have been made for US, Canadian or British forces in Germany. Cold winters there and need for something to cope with that.