MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fuse box - technical question (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14700)

Doug Lavoie 10-05-10 21:34

Fuse box - technical question

3 Attachment(s)
I am trying to track down the proper fuse box - card wire (if that`s the proper name). I do not know the wire type, size, and where it can be found. Is there any one out there who could help with this info.? I am trying to get the fuse box for my Mk1* ready, but... no wire.
I have included some attachments as to the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
This holds true for the Mk11* fuse box and cards, same problem but different person with the problem. This one does not have the cards, and needs some, as well as the wire. Any idea`s on to where to find them?
I am assuming the amount of wraps of wire gives you a resistance for each card, am I right? :confused :doh:
Thanks,
Doug

Lynn Eades 11-05-10 00:45

Doug

The fuse wire is just house fuse box wire (5, 10, and 15 amp rated)
The fuses were a british thing , CAV, try old Britsh trucks, Leylands, Coles cranes, Valentine tanks, All those things that you would normally hold a crucifix up to (no offence intended)

T Creighton 11-05-10 02:27

Fuse wire

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Lavoie (Post 130295)
I am assuming the amount of wraps of wire gives you a resistance for each card, am I right? :confused :doh:
Thanks,
Doug

Hi Doug,
At a guess I would say that the wrap around wire is just a convenient way to keep spare wire. It should only need a short length across between the two terminals. You could easily make the cards with some fibre board , some brass rivets and a bit of thin scrap brass. Keep in mind house voltage (230 in NZ) and vehicle voltage gives different gauge wire for a given amperage.
Regards,
Terry

Lynn Eades 11-05-10 03:01

Doug

Terry is correct. It is just somewhere to store the spare wire. As far as the rating of the fuse wire goes; 10 amps at 12 volts is 120 watts. 10 amps at 240 volts is 2400 watts. The wire is still the same though.
Doug there should only be one strand of wire between the two sides.
Dont old house fuse boxes in Canada, have ceramic fuses that have a replaceable wire?

Philliphastings 11-05-10 05:32

old lorrys

Hello, Lynn is entirely correct re the source of LUCAS/CAV electrical parts. I was lucky enough to get some parts from an old scrapped valentine tank instrument panel. Some of the instruments were the same as used in the British Mk1. Centurion tanks use the same type of wedge fuses and even early landrovers use a similar voltage regulator and fuse box. Old british lorry are a great source of parts as they use the same parts as well.

Cheers

Phill

Doug Lavoie 11-05-10 08:39

Lynn,
I have not come across any fuses in Canada that have the wire type of fuse, or the wire in any amp rating. I could stand to be corrected but... .Vintage car parts UK has one remaining fuse box type with the cards in their on line cat. They do not sell the wire or spare cards.
I will look up Leyland and inquire about the fuse wire. If anyone knows where I could find some, please let me know.
Thanks
Doug

Doug Lavoie 11-05-10 10:10

I found some fuse wire on E bay in England. 5,15, 20, 30 amps.
Doug