MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Post-war Military Vehicles (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1952 M38 -original find- (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30899)

ahleeds 13-02-20 20:31

1952 M38 -original find-

5 Attachment(s)
This followed me home the other day
Hardly changed or modified from original

ahleeds 13-02-20 20:41

Numbers for m38

3 Attachment(s)
The hood # 52-31278 does not match the frame number #52-30546
The engine looks like it's right #mc99357
Build date 5-5-52
Contract e-20-lv7-742

James P 13-02-20 23:21

Feel free to call me crazy, but I have to say that super M38 looks amazing JUST as it is. It carries it age, history and original paint well and would stand out wearing "the look" in a field of ho hum over restored cars.

ahleeds 14-02-20 00:11

Not crazy

I do agree it does have a good look and it probably won't be I that blasts all the original paint off.
There looks to me like there might be a layer of white paint under there also.?
Anthony

rob love 14-02-20 00:19

If the white paint is not everywhere on the body, then it may have just been winter cam painted over.

It appears to have had the arctic cover for the grill at one time, and also had the spare tire on the hood. Is there an air grill under the passenger door area? Wipers are also moved to the top of the windshield...that was usually done with the gas heater kit to allow for the defroster. That might explain why the CFRs dont match. Before sale, the heater kits were usually pulled. The data plates were on the defroster duct, so would have been missing after sale. It may be that the owner grabbed a set off another Jeep. I see other evidence that it had the heater...there are 4 holes on the cowl in front of the driver where the heater base sat. When the kits were removed, usually the center plate on the windshield would then be missing. A previous owner may have scrounged up a replacement for that as well. Often you will find homemade plates covering that hole.

It also shows some blue and red on the windshield. Perhaps an artillery unit's vehicle.

rob love 14-02-20 02:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by James P (Post 266722)
Great, thanks, make it safe and dependable to operate while retaining that VERY cool original in service applied paint is all you need. Hunt down all the little bits missing like headlight guards, BO markers, spare tire carrier, bows and enjoy one of the most original, undicked around with M38s I have seen in a long, long, time.

For the paint if I may suggest apply a coat of Minwax paste wax, no need to clear coat. The car wears its history in the coat(s) of paint applied over its lifetime of service, While there are some that think blasting and painting will somehow make it "better" I advocate for preserving and enjoying this car as it is, rust, patina, flaking paint, dings and dents give it a unique look all its own.

Something tells me that with the amount of rust through on the floor pans and on the sides, it will not be able to be run in it's present condition....not even in Saskatchewan. Some floor and bodywork will be required, which will necessitate a little more than just miniwax.

ahleeds 14-02-20 03:15

Yes there will be a few patches for the floor needed .and the fuel tank is ready to drop out.
Anthony

Owen Evans 14-02-20 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 266721)
It appears to have had the arctic cover for the grill at one time, and also had the spare tire on the hood. Wipers are also moved to the top of the windshield...that was usually done with the gas heater kit to allow for the defroster. I see other evidence that it had the heater...there are 4 holes on the cowl in front of the driver where the heater base sat.

Well spotted! :salute: Here's a short video of an M38 with the gas heater fitted (along with Arctic Hardtop):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iR_42az4fk

That M38 is a great find, btw. :thup2:

Owen.

David Dunlop 14-02-20 13:22

With the hood mounted spare, could this vehicle have spent some career time as an ambulance?

David

ahleeds 14-02-20 15:12

1 Attachment(s)
Questions
1- the blue x with red corner?
2-side spare mount looks pretty original?
Anthony

BCA 14-02-20 16:54

As David pointed out, this M38 may have had an ambulance kit which would account for the barren tailgate: re- located spare tire bracket and lack of gas can carrier. There may be some additional holes where the rear ambulance extension was bolted to the rear of the body. I’m not sure of the configuration of those holes.

rob love 14-02-20 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahleeds (Post 266735)
Questions
1- the blue x with red corner?
2-side spare mount looks pretty original?
Anthony

That is the symbol for the Battery commander of the 3rd battery in an artillery unit.

I am used to the ambulances having the heater kit mounted inside the vehicle, and there being the air inlet under the passenger door.

With the spare tire being mounted on the corner, it would seem like the hood mounted one would be superfluous. The hood mounted tires were a bit of a PIA, in that you had to remove the tire and bracket every time you wanted to look under the hood. Perhaps the corner mount replaced the hood mount.

There were field modifications to M38s where the tailgate was removed or dropped, and more of a battle box was built into the space, extending beyond the body.

Ed Storey 14-02-20 17:15

M38

Perhaps at one time it has a M40A1 106mm Recoilless Rifle mounted or it was reconfigured to mount radios as your X Battery Marking generally indicates a battery Commander's Vehicle.

Wayne Hingley 14-02-20 18:15

Anthony: Is there any remaining evidence of what was connected to the PTO? Is it a military PTO or post service addition?

ahleeds 14-02-20 18:45

4 Attachment(s)
Looked like a Princess Auto addition to me

maple_leaf_eh 16-02-20 22:25

Huh? And I drove through Moosomin ten days ago with my brother. I was pointing out the fact I once lived on Mullin Avenue in Regina, and Harry Mullin VC is buried in Moosomin.