MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Military Shows & Events (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   History comes alive in Winchelsea (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16236)

Ryan 25-02-11 11:56

History comes alive in Winchelsea

Hi guys, I'm not connected to this event only having come by it by chance on the internet.
Maybe I should be as it is quite close to me.
Here is some links:

flyer:
http://www.geelongmrg.com/barwon_park/Flyer-Web.jpg

more info (look under special events ):

http://www.geelongmrg.com/

jack neville 01-03-11 23:31

Welcome

Ryan,

By all means come along. You will be welcomed. There is one thing that the GMRG do moreso than any other group of restorers/collectors/military enthusiasts. They like to use the kit they have and not just park it and look at it. The battlefield re-enactments alone utilise a range of blank firing weapons and explosive pyrotechnics unmatched anywhere in the world. This is the beginning of what is hoped to be a biannual event utilising the French looking backdrop of Barwon Park homestead at Winchelsea.

Ryan 02-03-11 03:22

winch event

Cheers Jack, I'll be there.
Hope you get a good crowd, how widely is it being adverised?

jack neville 02-03-11 06:02

winch event

Just being advertised locally and via word of mouth by the participants. It will get a mention in the Geelong Advertiser closer to the event I expect. The budget does not allow for much paid advertising.

Scrivo18 08-03-11 11:43

Hi Ryan

I am taking my halftrack, bren carrier, command car and 2 Pdr antitank gun down.. It will be an awesome weekend

Tim

Ryan 17-03-11 12:32

winch

Hi Tim,
sorry, I missed your reply.
That's some great toys.
Hey, we're just up the road so if you want to leave anything in the driveway by all means do. :D

Scrivo18 23-03-11 13:33

Rental and daily hires can be arranged :-)

Tim

Ganmain Tony 24-03-11 07:36

How Many?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrivo18 (Post 144173)
Hi Ryan

I am taking my halftrack, bren carrier, command car and 2 Pdr antitank gun down.. It will be an awesome weekend

Tim

Geez Tim - any more vehicles and you'll have a battalion.

Have fun fellahs - sounds like you will

Oh by the way....... I made it home safely

easo 24-03-11 11:14

I have the OK from the minister of war and finance and will be in attendance.

Easo

Ryan 26-03-11 10:41

winch meet

I'll have to make sure I say G'day to you easo as I meant to do at Corowa.
Ryan

Ryan 10-04-11 01:46

sat pics

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics from saturday. The weather held for most of the day with only some light rain for the final ww2 reenactment.
I've never been to an event like this before and I must say I hope the winchelsea event is successful and continues. It was truly great. The way the vehicles and equipment was presented within their camps and dioramas was terrific. And all the reneactors in their gear and going through drills and such was engrossing.

Ryan 10-04-11 01:54

more pics

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some more pics of the static displays. All the reenactments I captured on video.

Ryan 10-04-11 08:48

sunday pictures

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some pictures from today, sunday. Firstly of the church service held in the morning and of the reneactment in the afternoon. The weather was good for the crowd although a little cold and windy and I would guess there were twice as many people there today compared to yesterday.

Ryan 10-04-11 09:01

some more pics

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some more random pics of both sat and sun.

Richard Farrant 10-04-11 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 145574)
Here's some more pics of the static displays. All the reenactments I captured on video.

Hi Ryan,

Good photos, I recognise a couple of friends in the background. Incidentally it is nice to see that Daimler Dingo again, still looking good after seven years when I completed the restoration for its then owner. Shame it was not at Corowa, being British and all that :)

regards, Richard

Ryan 11-04-11 12:45

dingo

Hi Richard, I had a great time. That Dingo really looked great up close. Would have been good to see it driving but while I was there it was static only.
Ryan

jack neville 18-04-11 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Farrant (Post 145586)
Hi Ryan,

Good photos, I recognise a couple of friends in the background. Incidentally it is nice to see that Daimler Dingo again, still looking good after seven years when I completed the restoration for its then owner. Shame it was not at Corowa, being British and all that :)

regards, Richard

Expect it next year Richard. We will make sure Robin gets it up there.

Richard Farrant 18-04-11 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack neville (Post 145897)
Expect it next year Richard. We will make sure Robin gets it up there.

Thanks Jack, look forward to meeting it again !

Well done with your Marmon Herrington, a very nice restoration :thup:

jack neville 19-04-11 14:09

Thanks Richard. Will probably take it again next year with all the final bits in place, (winch etc). Now working on a matching desert coloured 39 Ford 1 ton ute to compliment the Marmon. Ready for next year might be a bit ambitious but you never know.

Ryan 04-05-13 11:22

winchelsea 2013

It's on again this weekend.
I managed to catch a couple of hours there this afternoon and hope to go back tomorrow. Another great collection of vehicles, kit, diaromas and battles. Hope to get some photos tomorrow.
One thing I did like was the vehicle parade in the afternoon around the battlefield arena. Made me feel like I was at some UK event like tankfest or something ( well that's what I asume from reading magazines anyway. :yappy: )
Always good when a Stuart tank throws up dust and dirt.
One day of it to go 10am to 4pm tomorrow!

Ryan 04-05-13 22:50

title

Can I please have a mod change the title of this thread to read 'History comes alive in Winchelsea'. Then it can cover the different years more acurately.

Ryan 06-05-13 11:42

some pics from the sunday

4 Attachment(s)
The weather was good although quite chilly by the sunday arvo and a great time was had by all who came I believe.

Ryan 06-05-13 11:44

more pics

4 Attachment(s)
I always walk away from an event like this thinking 'why didn't I get a photo of that?'

Ryan 06-05-13 11:51

4 Attachment(s)
and some more.
another event is planned for 2015 and the organisors would love to see a few more 'through the gates'. :)

easo 08-05-13 10:46

Where are the videos mate?

Cheers for the photos.

Easo

Richard Farrant 08-05-13 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 179653)
The weather was good although quite chilly by the sunday arvo and a great time was had by all who came I believe.

Thanks Ryan,
Nice to see the Daimler Dingo again and still looking good :thup:

Ryan 09-05-13 11:47

winch

No vids this year easo, only pics.
Rich that Dingo gets up a bit of speed when it wants too, very impressive.

Richard Farrant 09-05-13 19:24

Dingos

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 179749)
Rich that Dingo gets up a bit of speed when it wants too, very impressive.

Ryan, they are good for about 55mph, but a nice cruising speed is about 40mph. Not bad for a 70 year old weighing around 2500kg+

Only disadvantage is a rather cramped driving position if you are on a long run.