MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Post-war Military Vehicles (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   BEDFORD Truck (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1567)

Kuno 26-02-04 15:43

BEDFORD Truck

1 Attachment(s)
...quiet often I found this type of truck. It seems to be a BEDFORD - but a model which is probably post-war. I have no idea, who used it. I assume, that it has been in service with the british forces in Libya and in parallel with the Libyan Defence Forces.

...any other ideas?

Kuno 26-02-04 15:46

LR

1 Attachment(s)
...by the way: nobody should expect, that it is never raining in the desert. New-Year 1999 / 2000 brought 2 days of only rain deep inside the country. Especially when driving on the oilfield-tracks it was slippery like on ice! Offroad the low gears only brought me up to 30km/h max --- and I left real deep traces.

Hanno Spoelstra 26-02-04 16:27

Re: BEDFORD Truck

Quote:

Originally posted by Kuno
...any other ideas?
Bedford: no, post-war British: yes. It's a 1950's Austin K9/WD 1-ton GS 4x4 truck. Actually quite rare these days in the UK.

Bob Moseley (RIP) 28-02-04 10:18

Look What I Found - Pic 1

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all

Small world isn't it. Check the date.

Bob Moseley (RIP) 28-02-04 10:20

Look What I Found - Pic 2

1 Attachment(s)
As I said before, we have everything in this great country.

Bob

Keith Webb 28-02-04 22:10

Re: Look What I Found - Pic 2

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob Moseley
As I said before, we have everything in this great country.

Bob

But seriously, Bob, who would actually want one of these? If you had a choice of this and, say a similar condition mid wheelbase CMP to restore, which would you choose?
I spent a lot of time as a child in a civvy version of one of these "Poached-egg" Austins, as they were called as my father had a delivery van version.
Some would say I've never grown up!
Oh, and as for your new handle... the Canucks and I had been sampling the fruit of the vine... sorry.
Keith

Richard Farrant 28-02-04 22:25

Re: Re: Look What I Found - Pic 2

Quote:

Originally posted by Keith Webb

I spent a lot of time as a child in a civvy version of one of these "Poached-egg" Austins, as they were called as my father had a delivery van version.
Some would say I've never grown up!

Hey Keefy,
Now don't go insulting the good old Loadstar, I too used to go out with my father who drove a long wheelbase K4 when knee high to a grasshopper and could tell from the sound, the difference between an Austin and a Bedford. Never heard the nickname that you give it but by coincidence, my father drove for an egg packing company.
Again, I have been lorry mad since then (early '50's) and have always had a soft spot for Austins.

Richard

Bob Moseley (RIP) 29-02-04 09:58

"Poached-Egg" Austin

Hi guys

Of interest with this truck is the existence of very faded lettering on the door referring to the Snowy Mountain Scheme. This truck was probably involved in the construction of one of the world's greatest hydro-electric schemes.

Keefy - no problems with the avatar, HOWEVER I haven't seen a pose with certain headgear. I take it you received them and the gauge samples?

Bob