MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   looking for measurements of armour section (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18170)

RichardT10829 28-03-12 09:34

looking for measurements of armour section

Chaps. I am looking for measurements and pictures of the triangular fold down flap that sits on the gunners left hand front armour plate, i have made the hinges for the plate but need the plate measurements and position of any holes etc.

can anyone help ?

Cheers

Richie

kevin powles 28-03-12 13:25

hi richard, be careful with that plate as its not a true triangle, I will get you some measurements in the next 7 days, it has a flat on the upper corner.

kevin.

RichardT10829 28-03-12 14:54

Cheers Kevin it is appreciated mate

Lynn Eades 31-03-12 23:21

Kevin

1 Attachment(s)
Where is the flat at the top? Is there a difference in these? This picture is of a MkII Bren Carrier, not of a Mk II Universal Carrier.

kevin powles 01-04-12 16:39

flat

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Lynn, It all makes sense now!. I copied a fold down armour plate for the 'tank hunter carrier' made it and finished it, When I got the mortar carrier I compared it and found that i had not put a flat on top, the two other Canadian carriers I have also have the 'flat' on top. I thought I had overlooked this and was planning to modify it slightly. I guess they changed this when going form a 'bren' to a 'universal'.

I have no close up pictures of a universal fold down plate to hand but here's a bren with 'no flat' as per yours.

Will post up a picture of the 'flat' when at home latter, stuck at work know making MK1 carrier aerial latches.....he.....he.

kev.

RichardT10829 01-04-12 20:02

i think i know what Kevin means, but the question is was the plate cut like that or a flat slowly dinged in over the years of it being slammed up and down.

anyone able to provide measurements / drawings ?

Jordan Baker 01-04-12 21:01

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a shot of my plate. ive added the red line to show the difference. I haven't had a chance to go out and measure it up. But will try too sometime this week.

kevin powles 01-04-12 21:25

Hi, Yer Jordans got it!!.

kev.

Lynn Eades 01-04-12 22:34

1 Attachment(s)
It would appear to me that the corner on Jordans has been dressed off to match the top of the Mantlet, which is sitting lower than the far side fixed armour of jordans carrier. I imagine the mod or change Michael has shown in his second picture is to get rid of the sharp corner that is exposed when the mantlet is folded back. I suspect some finishing of the top edge armour was achieved with canadian carriers, by blending the top of each plate to the next. this would explain the finish of Jordans carrier.
The photo is of just that happening during the building of N.Z's 40 LP carriers
(a 1 in 20 chance of this being one of my two hulls)

eddy8men 01-04-12 22:45

very interesting, i hadn't realised it wasn't a true triangle, i just wish i'd known before i made mine :doh:

RichardT10829 01-04-12 22:49

just grind the top off Rick hahahahaha

Jordan Baker 01-04-12 23:26

Well the mantlet was a new made item so Im not too sure about the edge being "dressed" to fit. I know I never touched the triangular piece when I put this all together.

Im sure every carrier was a wee bit different.

kevin powles 14-04-12 17:26

Richard, Here is the measurement of the plate, ignoring the flat on top which you can grind off later. longest length 26", length which adjoiners the armour 25 1/4". vertical length 6 1/16" and the width of the flat end 5/16".

kevin.

RichardT10829 14-04-12 18:20

Thanks Kevin, I will jump to it and get one cut.. I have sent you an email, sorry i didnt get to catch up with you at Easter mate :(