MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Military Shows & Events (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   MLU meetup Normandy: 4 June 2024 (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34248)

Hanno Spoelstra 05-07-23 12:32

MLU meetup Normandy: 4 June 2024

2 Attachment(s)
All,

Just like in 2019, we are planning for a Maple Leaf Up meetup in Normandy next year.

This thread is to gauge interest in a gathering of Canadian and British WW2 military vehicle enthusiasts in June 2024. If there is, we need to collectively pinpoint a date and location best suited. In 2019, we used the overflow car park at Longues sur Mer where a bunch of friends of mine set up camp every year. As that site has been redeveloped, were are now looking out for a new venue. Pieter Bergman has already done some reccying this year.

So please help to determine a suitable:
  1. Date: I think Friday 7 June could be a good date - let me know if this collides with any major events.
  2. Location: any large car park or publicly accessible field in the British and Canadian sector could suit our needs. Please let me know if you know of any location that could work.
As this is an informal gathering, I do not plan to formally organise this with permits and all (yes, I know we're in France). One should see this as an impromptu gathering, just a couple of dozen vehicles just happening to pull up in on the same day and location for a few hours.

Thanks in advance!

Attachment 134998 Attachment 134999

svdwal 09-08-23 08:46

Sounds great to me, i´ll try to be there.
Depending on a place to stay, the location we would stay is currently uncertain so i´m on the lookout for another place to stay a few days with my kids....

Rgds.

Sjoerd

Lars R. 04-01-24 00:30

Sounds good!

I know there is a general G503 Jeep meet "next door" at Luc-sur-Mer planned for the 7th at 16:00. Well, if the "Canucks", say, meet for a luncheon at Courseulles-sur-Mer (in the parking at Quai des Freres Laberques) next to the Memorial Canadien, that might work. And then the Jeeps move on to Luc? I know France, but maybe the Centre Juno Beach supports it or even Canadian officials?

Hanno Spoelstra 11-02-24 21:42

Update 11-Feb

1 Attachment(s)
As you may have heard, the Batterie de Longues site has been remodeled. The field behind the tourist office has now been transformed into a large car park, and the tourist office was replaced by a new building.

At this point in time, the municipality of Longues sur Mer is offering a field behind the batteries to set up our small camp where we can host the MLU Meetup.

Date is set for the morning of 7 June, which we think can dovetail with other events in the afternoon at Arromanches and Port en Bessin. We may want to reconsider, but as the week of 6 June is crammed with events it may be a matter of making the right choices.

Stay tuned and keep us posted if you plan on attending!

Attachment 136981
Source: https://actu.fr/normandie/longues-su..._30512179.html

Barry Churcher 15-02-24 21:20

Beste Hanno
We want to thank Stefan for doing all the leg work and it looks like there will be four more MLU members in Normandy this year. Stefan Leegwater, Brian Gough, Les Fisher and myself have made plans to attend so hopefully we can meet up with the rest of you.
Cheers
Barry

Alastair Thomas 20-02-24 22:51

And us

Thanks Stefan,
We would like to attend in three qualifying vehicles:
F60S
Lynx I MkIII*
Morris CS8

Hanno Spoelstra 24-02-24 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Churcher (Post 295537)
Beste Hanno
We want to thank Stefan for doing all the leg work and it looks like there will be four more MLU members in Normandy this year. Stefan Leegwater, Brian Gough, Les Fisher and myself have made plans to attend so hopefully we can meet up with the rest of you.
Cheers
Barry

Hello Barry, good to hear you are coming over to Normandy with Brian, Les and Stefan. Will see you there!

Hanno Spoelstra 24-02-24 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Thomas (Post 295599)
Thanks Stefan,
We would like to attend in three qualifying vehicles:
F60S
Lynx I MkIII*
Morris CS8

Hello Alistair, Stefan is handling three Canadian visitors, I’m handling the MLU Meetup. Looking forward to seeing you again!

Hanno Spoelstra 10-03-24 12:17

Note: meetup rescheduled to 4 June

1 Attachment(s)
At our Longues sur Mer camp meeting yesterday we discussed the options for organising the MLU Meetup. With too many things going on during 6-7-8 June, we decided to reschedule the meeting to Tuesday 4 June at 10:00 hrs.

The location will be the field next to where the Meetup was 5 years ago.

More info will follow later.

Looking forward to meeting you there!

Attachment 137167

Hanno Spoelstra 14-04-24 16:17

1944 – 2024: 80th anniversary of d-day and the battle of normandy

Here's a link to the official French website with all the information for the 80th commemoration events:

https://en.normandie-tourisme.fr/hig...rsary-of-d-day