MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hellensen Lamps (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25143)

Andrew Rowe 23-01-16 19:33

Hellesen Lamps

1 Attachment(s)
Sitting in my parts shed today, out pops a little trinket from the UK. The Hellesen Lamp. Do people out there still come across this piece of kit these days? Cheers.

Jim Burrill 23-01-16 21:48

About two years ago, I stumbled across one on ebay from the UK.
It had been listed by the maker - CEAG, no use of the word 'Hellensen" or Hellenson"

NOS with a tag, wartime dated, only bidder and got it for 9 pounds plus shipping.

A fellow restorer made up a fake battery of cardboard, markings and then waxed the box. It had a "trap door" to allow it to be opened to access a modern D-cell plastic carrier and some wire.

Fits nicely in it's rack in the turret of the Humber Mk4. Works when I toggle the switch!

So simple in construction, would think What Price Glory could get them made in India for not much money. less than 50 US$ I would think, but he would need some idea of market.

I suppose we could send one to India ( a rusty relic! ) and just have a run of say 20 made.

Ideas?

tankbarrell 23-01-16 22:33

Bought one on ebay just last week. It's Hellesen btw, no middle n.

They do turn up, listed as a Hellesen lamp, they sell for a tidy sum. Listed as 'old torch', they go for considerably less!

Lynn Eades 23-01-16 23:14

Not this "people". Not so far anyhow. Now you have to tell me about it. So far, I'm in the dark. :confused

Andrew Rowe 23-01-16 23:28

Old Torch

I suppose you now have a spare to go with the one I got you at Beltring .You gonna have to find another Tank to put it in! Cheers

Andrew Rowe 24-01-16 02:50

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one with the original Battery!

marco 24-01-16 16:02

Hellesen manufacturers

1 Attachment(s)
Occasionally they turn up.
Found one in Holland, a green CEAG, new in the box and WD marked.
They were also made by Davenset and Sunlite and I have seen an advert from Eveready showing the same lamp.
The black ones seem not to be WD marked.
Sometimes these lamps are listed as "railroad lamp".
There seem to be more armored vehicles than lamps which might explain why these lamps can be expensive.
Wartime records mention battery shortages for these lamps.

Marco

eddy8men 28-01-16 18:42

i bought mine last year at stoneleigh militaria and paid £150 for it. a stupid amount of money but i was glad to have it.

tankbarrell 28-01-16 20:32

My latest was £9.99 on ebay.....

Maurice Donckers 30-01-16 12:04

1 Attachment(s)
I found 2 during the years , one painted OD , in mint condition , and this one still with the battery in came from Belgium .

Tim Bell 27-07-16 12:35

Looking for one of these also.

If anyone has one for sale at a sensible price, please let me know.

Am not desperate enough to be prepared to pay £150 for one.

Cheers

Tim

eddy8men 27-07-16 23:48

give it time tim and £150 will seem cheap :)

David Dunlop 28-07-16 03:04

Tim.

I am sure you will find one for a good price. Just keep your eyes out in as many places as possible. Quite a few things, military and antique, seem to sell in cycles. Military pocket watches about six years ago were readily available in good working order for near or under $125 Cdn and then suddenly spiked upwards of $300 Cdn for some reason. They can now be had for close to the earlier price once again.

As they say, patience is a virtue!

David

Patrick Johnson 13-08-16 04:26

Dimensions of Lamp

Hi,
Would someone be able to provide the outside dimensions of the metal cage for the battery? I am trying to fabricate the enclosure the lamp fits into in an armoured vehicle and would greatly appreciate the dimensions.
Thank you!
Patrick

marco 13-08-16 08:12

Patrick,

See the thread below.
There is a drawing from the lamp.

Marco.

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...light=Hellesen

marco 13-08-16 13:56

Hellesen lamp mounting

Patrick,
I have the drawing from the mounting also.
I'll have a look when I am at home again.

Marco

Patrick Johnson 15-08-16 02:06

Helleson lamp drawings

Hi Marco,
Thanks very much for the link, the drawing is perfect. Any further drawings would be most welcome!

marco 15-08-16 23:36

Bracket for Hellesen lamp

2 Attachment(s)
Patrick,

Attached is a PDF drawing from the Hellesen lamp bracket as installed in my Staghound.
I took the dimensions from an original example in another Staghound turret.
For such a simple task it is a rather complicated thing...

I hope the resolution of the attached drawing is sufficient so the dimensions can be read.
When not, pm me your email address and I'll sent it directly to you.

In Sherman tanks, another (more simple?) type of support for the Hellesen lamp is used.
I don't have a drawing from that one but I am sure someone can help you with that.

Marco

marco 26-08-16 19:43

Sunlite advert

1 Attachment(s)
"Civilian" advert showing a handlamp very similar to the military style lamp.
The interesting thing is that the advert comes from a "Country Life" magazine dated October 1925.
The "penetrating beam of light" is rather exaggerated..

Marco

Tim Bell 29-03-17 23:55

1 Attachment(s)
Nailed this one... Nos... 10gbp from a govt surplus dealer today... Alas the only one he had. Black frame... No wd mark... But has mod stores label and part number.

marco 19-12-19 19:05

2 Attachment(s)
An advert from a Merriman & Howard Ltd (Manchester, U.K.)
catalogue from 1934.
The lamp seems to be marked "Hellesen" also.

Philliphastings 20-12-19 06:36

Sought but never found

During the years I had my Centurion I hunted high and liw for an ellusive hellesen lamp for the turret.

Never found one and eventually sold of the Cent. Years later I found a squashed one on the site of an old tank rebuild workshop in Western Australia. I straitened it up a bit andvpassed it onto a fellow collector who had two centurions...

Cheers

Phill

andrew honychurch 14-10-21 21:00

Just to say I am about to list my new Davenset on E Bay if anyone looking for one. thanks Andrew

Andrew Rowe 15-10-21 09:03

1 Attachment(s)
Well, up pops another one of these just the other day! I thought it was a lamp that I would never see in New Zealand, but just goes to show , the one on the right of the picture, a nice example , Cheers Andrew.