MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Cancel Culture Alive and Doing Well in London, Ontario (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33482)

Ed Storey 16-06-22 21:22

Cancel Culture Alive and Doing Well in London, Ontario

Once a revered fallen service member who lost his life serving his country, cancel culture has removed Trooper Mark Wilson from a London park and street name over a 2004 assault conviction.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/london-ren...lson-1.5947152

maple_leaf_eh 16-06-22 23:17

Some crimes are now worse than others

I read that story with sadness too. Fire, ready, aim.

Apparently going to trial, being found guilty, sentenced and completed his punishment years prior wasn't good enough for some people. Pretty soon we'll be numbering and lettering our streets, until 11th Avenue is suddenly considered too straight.

Ed Storey 17-06-22 02:59

Cancel Culture

Quote:

Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh (Post 287128)
I read that story with sadness too. Fire, ready, aim.

Apparently going to trial, being found guilty, sentenced and completed his punishment years prior wasn't good enough for some people. Pretty soon we'll be numbering and lettering our streets, until 11th Avenue is suddenly considered too straight.

Couldn't have said it better.

Is this the first time that a park or street commemorating a fallen military service member has been renamed in Canada due to that person's past actions?

maple_leaf_eh 17-06-22 03:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Storey (Post 287136)
Is this the first time that a park or street commemorating a fallen military service member has been renamed in Canada due to that person's past actions?

The Ukrainian-Canadian VC winner Filip Konowal killed a man in a knife fight in Hull when he was a civilian. Instead of being found guilty, he was confined to an asylum ostensibly for his health. Or maybe he was told to go there, sit tight, and wait for the all-clear? He kept his VC and his dignity. It takes a really serious breach of the peace to have a VC taken away. Evidently that bar has been lowered considerably.

Robert Bergeron 17-06-22 03:10

The only hero immune to this cancel culture frenzy is «*the unknown soldier «* in Ottawa . Even then , his memory and resting place were desacrated earlier this year in the name of «*freedom of speach and assembly «* .What has this country become my God ?

Ed Storey 17-06-22 03:46

Cancel Culture

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron (Post 287138)
Even then , his memory and resting place were desacrated earlier this year in the name of «*freedom of speach and assembly «*.

It was more stupidity then desecration. The effects of stupidity only lasts a two week news cycle, something removed by cancel culture can potentially be forever.

BTW the person filmed dancing on the Tomb of the Unknown was a woman and from a 28 April 2022 Global news link, this is what stupidity gets you. “She was processed by other means, which is a police practice. As she is not charged criminally, I cannot provide a name.”

Robert Bergeron 17-06-22 04:21

I get it Ed , now we have the Constitutional right to be «*stupid «* in Canada . So if that is a right then London city council exercised their fundamental right .

Ed Storey 17-06-22 12:15

Cancel Culture

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron (Post 287141)
I get it Ed , now we have the Constitutional right to be «*stupid «* in Canada . So if that is a right then London city council exercised their fundamental right .

Yes, they certainly did exercise that right; sadly to the detriment of Trooper Mark Wilson.

Perry Kitson 18-06-22 00:37

I am ashamed to say I am a Londoner. But remember, this is the same city that was indifferent to the fate of Holy Roller.
A call to my councillor did not yield any change of mind.

Ed Storey 18-06-22 02:57

Blm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Kitson (Post 287156)
I am ashamed to say I am a Londoner. But remember, this is the same city that was indifferent to the fate of Holy Roller.
A call to my councillor did not yield any change of mind.

At least you were able to call your councillor. What would London do if they happened to find out that the American factories manufacturing Sherman tanks during the war were not in favour of hiring black workers, would they have Holy Roller removed from the park in support of BLM?

charlie fitton 19-06-22 01:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Storey
... park in support of BLM?

Buy Large Mansions?

Ed Landstrom 29-06-22 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie fitton (Post 287190)
Buy Large Mansions?

Actually, BLM has long stood for Bureau of Land Management, one of a seemingly endless list of American alphabet agencies.