MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Wanted: Canadian CJ-7 Soft Top and Doors (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26865)

spinnerhawken 20-01-17 03:20

Canadian CJ-7 Soft Top and Doors

Guys,

Looking to buy a Canadian military CJ-7 green soft top and doors for my new project. From my years in London I remember there being a few around on base - I wish I had grabbed one.

Thanks,

Steve

rob love 20-01-17 06:18

The replacement soft top kit was just about the only part that had a NSN for the CJ7s in Canadian service.

Robin Craig 20-01-17 11:18

Do you own the vehicle already or is it the hinge point that will decide if you buy it? Please let us know if you find the items and where you found them.

spinnerhawken 22-01-17 01:57

Hey Robin,

I own the vehicle and am just looking to restore it as close to original as possible. It is CFR 85-76610 from 26 Svc Bn in North Bay.
I figured the green soft top and doors would be an issue but I am hoping that someone, somewhere has one. If not, it will be the thing I continue to chase.
Is there any interest in me starting a CJ-7 restoration thread?

Steve

Robin Craig 22-01-17 02:29

Steve,

The beauty of the forum format against the vacuous void of other mediums is the way this remains as an archive and a resource for others who come looking for information long after we have posted material and in a way that is readily searchable.

Yes, please, start a thread using the make and model of the vehicle properly and many will likely chime in and help. I actually have to admit, have been tempted to venture into the CJ7 path but was stopped by sanity wondering how easy it would be to find the doors and tops.

These vehicle occupy a genuine place in CF history and you should be proud for saving one.

Robin Craig 22-01-17 02:34

I am thinking you have not stumbled upon this thread yet

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21568

spinnerhawken 22-01-17 04:58

Seen it, it has been my salvation when worried if I should have bought it or not!
Love those pics. Honestly, I think they may have played a role in convincing my wife to bring home yet another mil veh. To bad we never took more pics early on in our careers/travels when we saw all of the great vehicle we now chase. Steve

Robin Craig 22-01-17 20:28

Where did it come from and where did you find it advertised?

maple_leaf_eh 23-01-17 04:55

Hit up the R de Hull old boys for their pictures, circa 1992. I transferred to them around that time, but was trying to become a civilian too. The job I had was more demanding of my time, so I left the reserves.

A few stories come to mind, and excuse me if you've heard them already.

The steering linkages were more fragile than expected. On one road move across the biggest bridge in Quebec City, something broke and a "CJ", as I recall they were nicknamed, veered to the side and aimed itself at the guardrail. It smacked hard but didn't go over the edge. That would have been a serious incident, "Jeep with three Reservists falls 200' into St Lawrence River". I wasn't in the R de Hull at the time, but the story was fresh gossip.

Secondly, I remember they weren't much use as recce vehicles the way the troops were used to the M38A1 and even the M151A2. The roof and doors were much less field-friendly.

To power the RT524, there was an inverter under the back seat or across one side in the rear. It hummed, had bright lights and got warm. The radio didn't work without it on. The starts and stops routines were more complicated.

I do remember they were pretty sprightly off a starting start. A good driver could chirp the tires in all forward gears. Those weren't mud NDCC tires, and the vehicles didn't do as well off road. (Which might explain the steering linkage breaking.)

The front seats were comfortable but not nearly as practical as the M38A1. I sort of remember they were taller and had space underneath to more easily lose things.

rob love 23-01-17 05:27

The power converter was under the drivers seat. The switch to control it was on a plate that covered over the radio opening on the dash. The converter supplied 10 amps continuous and 15 amp surge to a bendix connector mounted on the same bracket under the seat.

The civilian CJ7 of that era was a little gutless, however since the military CJ7 came with no power steering or power brakes, and had fairly small tires, they had pretty good power.

There were 3 purchases in total. The first two had low back seats and a crappy T-5 5 speed transmission. The third purchase had the high back seats and a decent T176 transmission.

Terry's story about weak tie rods were likely the result of severe off roading and operators who did not knopw enough to recognize the damage that had occurred. The tie rods were the same size as the earlier M38 Jeep. I have never seen general failures of these that could not be predicted with proper inspections.

While they were much more comfortable and far warmer that the military models, they did lack any form of a MG mount. In those days the Jeeps served as an inexpensive trainer for the light recce militia units to practice the drills without the expense of operating armour.

Craig S. 23-01-17 15:56

spinnerhawken -
I can provide some pics of one of mine I recently purchased if you would like more inspiration. It was pretty original and remained in as released condition. CFR#85-76586. Also have one for sale should your wife care to have her own. No green tops left though.

spinnerhawken 24-01-17 01:19

Hey Craig,

I told my wife about your offer... I won't tell you exactly what she said, other than to say, I'm not sure she is there... just yet!

I would love any pics you have. I will PM you.

SH