MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   TAC HQ (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Paypal Subscription Thread (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16288)

Bob Moseley (RIP) 15-03-11 01:08

Paypal Subscription Thread

Hi Hanno - following on from Colin's subscription suggestion and others along the way, could you create a thread where members could pay a subscription utilising Paypal. This is probably the easiest mode of payment available to most. Everybody buys magazines, subscribes to various clubs, etc. but MLU is an invaluable international resource that obviously takes time and financial resources. You should be able to gauge an annual subscription rate from the member's financial responses if this were set up.

Bob

Alex Blair (RIP) 15-03-11 02:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Moseley (Post 144369)
Hi Hanno - following on from Colin's subscription suggestion and others along the way, could you create a thread where members could pay a subscription utilising Paypal. This is probably the easiest mode of payment available to most. Everybody buys magazines, subscribes to various clubs, etc. but MLU is an invaluable international resource that obviously takes time and financial resources. You should be able to gauge an annual subscription rate from the member's financial responses if this were set up.

Bob

Bob..
I never use paypal..
Other options..??
Visa..??
Cash..??

Dean (Ajax) 15-03-11 04:14

If you do set up a paypal account,I will throw a few bucks in to help keep the forum up.

Dean

Lynn Eades 15-03-11 07:39

Paypal

I have used it to pay people internationally. It is a great way to buy stuff without incurring the usual bank fees, which can be a lot of money.
As an example I bought an item from one chap, and through paypal the cost to me was exactly the price plus freight.
For the second item the price including post was $125 Canadian. with bank fees added it was to cost me $160+ canadian
As it happened,about a month after transfering the money, the seller had only received most of his money. In this case,the exercise was such a disaster the bank here ended up refunding all my fees.
The point is the banksters cost us a lot of money, and Paypal has worked well for me so far.

Bob Moseley (RIP) 15-03-11 07:52

Re. Paypal

Hi all - I have used Paypal for many years, mainly on Ebay, and it is the only way to conduct international transactions. I have never had a problem.

Bob

gjamo 15-03-11 08:24

PayPal

I too have used PayPal for years with no trouble at all. Infact I find them much more thorough than my bank in making sure every thing is secure.

What about an annual subscription date for all of us. Maybe D day or Geoff's passing day then it will almost become an automatic thing and a bit of a memorial.

Graeme

Hanno Spoelstra 15-03-11 10:38

Bob,

Stay tuned - work in progress!

Thanks,
Hanno

Robin Craig 15-03-11 12:13

Dear Alex,

If you dont use Paypal, that surprises me, such a wonderful way of payment.

R

cletrac (RIP) 15-03-11 16:36

When you use PayPal it's the person on the receiving end that gets charged the fees. It's a cost of doing business but someone's got to pay it. With any other method it's the payor that picks up the tab.
The nicest thing about using PayPal is they're the only ones that get your banking info online (unless a hacker manages to intercept the info but that seems pretty secure now).

Alex Blair (RIP) 15-03-11 17:33

Paypal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Craig (Post 144393)
Dear Alex,

If you dont use Paypal, that surprises me, such a wonderful way of payment.

R

Robin...
I use visa and there is no transaction fees..
It cost me nothing..I have a special card that has a $500.00 limit..so if it gets hacked..
And I always pay any credit card debt a soon as I am billed..100% so there is no interest..
Other than that I pay cash..
Cash by mail gets there..I have used cash by regular mail..just costs a stamp..and have never lost a cent..
So that is as cheap as it gets.
I don't recommend it for every one but it has worked for me in the past.
:remember :salute:

servicepub (RIP) 15-03-11 19:40

I vote for Paypal. Not many banks will allow Internet users (such as MLU) to accept credit card payments while Paypal covers all of the major cards. Yes, they pay a fee but this is taken from every transaction so instead of $50. they receive $47.50 - still easy for them. And cash is problematic for many of our international users. Do they try to find Cdn dollars and pay high exchange rates (there are fees involved), do they send US dollars and MLU has to get the cash converted or do they send local currency and, again, MLU has to get the money changed to Canadian - all of which requires someone to go to the bank during work hours. Paypal is all on-line and the funds are deposited to the appropriate account. I believe there is even a method of making 'donation' payments which do not incur fees.
Rather than an annual subscription I believe that you can set up Paypal for monthly, bi-monthly, etc.. payments. I would gladly pay $20/month than $200/year

Hanno Spoelstra 19-04-11 12:04

All, please refer to Support Maple Leaf Up 2.0 for PayPal donation links.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Hanno