MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles Data Book (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26878)

Robin Craig 23-01-17 05:03

Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles Data Book

3 Attachment(s)
This kind of dropped into my hands today through a friend.

The patina is incredible and it has a name written inside.

The covers are joined by a steel type band that binds it together. It looks to me to be an original issue book and that allows you to update pages and some are shown as such. I wouldn't know the number of pages but it is about 19mm thick.

The outside bottom left corner of the jacket bears the marking "1M-6-42 D.L.L."

I am not sure what I should do with it, it doesn't fit my bubble of interest for sure, so my shelves won't be where it ends up

There was one page bottom corner turned over the rest is in really graet shape if you ask me for the age.

There are several card dividers between the sections.

A few people have said they have seen the bound versions but not this style.

Grant Hopkins 23-01-17 08:58

What kind of data does it contain? I've not seen this book before as far as I can recall. If you are thinking of selling it I would be interested in knowing more about it as it might be useful for the CMP restorations I have on the go right now.

Robin Craig 23-01-17 11:20

Grant,

I has data on each and every flavour of every CMP made both Ford and Chev.

It also has details on every engine variety.

There is at least one page for each vehicle if not two and there are side view drawings and end views and details galore. It is full of details.

I will try and show you a typical page tonight when I get back home tonight, just heading out the door right now.

Your interest is noted.

Ed Storey 23-01-17 13:06

CMP Data Book

There are three volumes to the Data Book series, Modified Conventional and Trailers, Canadian Military Pattern and Tank Type Vehicles.

Grant Bowker 23-01-17 14:26

If the other Grant doesn't end up needing the book, I am interested. PM to follow.

Grant Hopkins 23-01-17 16:40

The book sounds like it could be a good reference. I'd probably like to get in touch with you anyway Robin as I also have a military KLR250 and I would be interested in chatting about whatever info you might have acquired regarding their use in Canada and appropriate markings. Cheers... the other Grant

Hanno Spoelstra 24-01-17 00:47

Robin,

Not seen it before, am very much interested. Would offer you a good home for it, and will make copies available for MLU members.

Cheers,
Hanno

Harry Moon 24-01-17 02:18

Bill Gregg

I think this is the book Bill Gregg reproduced in volume 1 of Canadian Military Vehicle series.

Ed Storey 24-01-17 04:34

Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles Data Book

1 Attachment(s)
No, Bill Gregg reprinted this wartime publication.

Attachment 88157

Lauren Child 24-01-17 22:04

I have the original 1942 version of the book (at the beginning of the thread).

Is there any chance of capturing the pages that changed for the 1945 update?

Robin Craig 26-01-17 12:47

The book will be going to Grant Hopkins as he was the first one to put his hand up for it.

I will not open the book up and copy stuff, I just don't have the time or inclination nor do I want to ruin the patina of the book and bend and re-bend the metal binding bands. The book is a time capsule.

I will suggest that Grant takes over the thread and he post more here as he is a CMP man and will understand the relevance of the information.

I am myself being treated very fairly by two other people currently and am invigorated to pass the Karma along.

It makes me feel good to see material go to the right places.

Hanno Spoelstra 26-01-17 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Craig (Post 233820)
The book will be going to Grant Hopkins as he was the first one to put his hand up for it.

I will not open the book up and copy stuff, I just don't have the time or inclination nor do I want to ruin the patina of the book and bend and re-bend the metal binding bands. The book is a time capsule.

I will suggest that Grant takes over the thread and he post more here as he is a CMP man and will understand the relevance of the information.

Robin, thanks for passing it on.

Grant, could you please make copies available?

Thanks in advance!

Hanno

Hanno Spoelstra 26-01-17 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Storey (Post 233713)
There are three volumes to the Data Book series, Modified Conventional and Trailers, Canadian Military Pattern and Tank Type Vehicles.

I have a few copies of the Data book - Tank type vehicles of Canadian manufacture left.

Happy to trade for copies of the other two volumes!

Thanks,
Hanno

Ed Storey 27-01-17 01:46

Page From the Book

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a sample page.

Attachment 88221