MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Canadian Army newsreels on YOUTUBE (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22560)

Hanno Spoelstra 02-11-04 08:39

Canadian Army Newsreels

As posted by J.McGillivray on the AFV News Discussion Board:

On the CBC web site there are Canadian Army Newsreels from the Italian campaign. Some of you may find them of interest.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/ortona/newsreels.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/or...ewsreels2.html

Dave Block 06-06-06 19:21

Canadian Army Newsreels?

A number of years back someone released a collection of Cdn.army newsreel shorts on video cassette. These were shown in movie theatres before the feature film during the war to show the folks back home how their boys were doing, a sort of pre-TV six o'clock news. If I recall correctly, they were full 4-5 minute segments, not the 5 second clips that turn up in documentaries.
Does anyone know if this is available in a DVD format? I'd love to get ahold of a copy, it hade great shots of Canadians using captured Italian SPG's (repainted green(?) with 'CANADA' in big white letters), buffaloes in Holland, that sort of thing.

Any leads are greatly appreciated. Cheers, Dave

God Bless the Vets :salute:

Alex Blair (RIP) 01-11-10 14:53

Historic army newsreels now available

HISTORIC ARMY NEWSREELS NOW AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC

OTTAWA, Nov. 1 /CNW/ - To commemorate the 65th anniversary of the end of WWII, The War Amps is making the complete set of The Canadian Army Newsreels available to the public for the first time, as part of its Military Heritage Series.

Featuring 20 hours of footage, this 6 DVD set contains 106 newsreels filmed and produced by the Canadian Army Film Unit.

The front-line cameramen were soldiers first and took guns into battle along with their 35 mm movie cameras to record the Canadian Infantry in action. Their heroic efforts enabled them to scoop the international press on the major events in Europe including the invasion of Sicily and the top story of the century - D-Day.

The newsreels also feature the daily routines of the soldiers behind the lines, life on the home front and historic footage of politicians and generals from the Allied and Axis countries. The newsreels were produced by the Army for soldiers serving overseas. Some footage shot by the Film Unit was also shown in home front movie theatres.

A vignette telling the story of the Canadian Army Film Unit, and samples of the newsreels, can be viewed at waramps.ca/military/canr.html and on The War Amps YouTube channel at youtube.com/warampsofcanada.

The War Amps embarked on this special project in cooperation with Library and Archives Canada (LAC) and veterans of the Canadian Army Film Unit. The Canadian Army Newsreels hold an important place in Canada's military history. While researchers have had access to the newsreels housed at LAC, The War Amps DVD set makes them available to a much wider audience.

Like all War Amps productions, The Canadian Army Newsreels DVD set was funded by corporate donations. It is available to the public at a cost-recovery price of $30 (including DVD guide) by calling toll-free 1 800 250-3030 or at waramps.ca.

For further information:

For more information or a broadcast-quality clip of the Newsreels, please contact Communications at 1 877 60MEDIA orcommunications@waramps.ca. Photos can be downloaded atwww.waramps.ca/newsroom/stock_photos/canr.html

Don Dingwall 03-11-10 16:09

Dvd

Can't beat that price.
Just ordered mine.

Good on the FYI Alex.

Alex Blair (RIP) 03-11-10 16:25

Gracies

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Dingwall (Post 138292)
Can't beat that price.
Just ordered mine.

Good on the FYI Alex.

Don..
Are you going to make Gracies at 5 Friday night..??
Your seat is reserved..
Alex

Don Dingwall 03-11-10 18:32

Gracie's

5 PM Friday?

Didn't know it was that soon. We'll have to see.

Rob Fast 04-11-10 02:11

I ordered mine today...

I would imagine it would be much like the old VHS Newsreel tape I bought out of the back of our Canadian Legion mag years ago. Looking forward to seeing it though. I swear the same soldier shows up in three different newsreels, that or he has a whole wack of identical brothers. Cheers Rob

Alex van de Wetering 05-09-14 20:56

Canadian Army newsreels on YOUTUBE

It seems Library Archives of Canada has just published a bunch of Canadian Army newsreels on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...iRfipt0O15HlmW

Alex

edit: Posts seem really fresh... it seems most of the newsreels were only posted yesterday!

rob love 05-09-14 22:47

quotable quote......

Reel number 4 around the 6:35 mark:

"Dieppe was a great combined ops proving ground....and remember Gerry, next time we go, we go to stay. "

Thanks for the links Alex. I guess I know what I'll be watching tonight.

Alex van de Wetering 05-09-14 23:19

You're welcome Rob. Same here....watching some newsreels for the next few hours.

Canadian Army Newsreel, No. 33 (1944) .....12cab at 6:53 (presumably 3 ton) and a 12cab FAT at 7:23

Alex

Hanno Spoelstra 06-09-14 15:27

"Naais!" :D

No. 9 show Ram tanks in exercise in England.

H.

John McGillivray 08-06-15 22:31

Canadian Army Newsreels

The War Amps have posted Canadian Army Newsreels in Youtube .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Jg...CC43B7CD63C686

r.morrison 09-06-15 08:47

Thanks......

John....Thanks for posting this. Going to be a few late nights taking all this in. Robert :cheers:

Jon Skagfeld 10-06-15 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by r.morrison (Post 210493)
John....Thanks for posting this. Going to be a few late nights taking all this in. Robert :cheers:

Indeed! I have the DVDs and there is a whole lot of watching to be done.

Jordan Baker 10-06-15 16:53

For $30 Cnd you can buy the entier set from the War Amps. The disks come with a small booklet with a synopsis of every disk and reel.

http://www.waramps.ca/military/canr.html

Alex van de Wetering 02-12-15 22:26

2 Attachment(s)
Canadian Army Newsreel, No. 106 (1946)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLIU...iRfipt0O15HlmW

"Army vehicles for farmers" at 3:46....nice Cab 11/12's

Alex

Phil Waterman 04-01-16 02:51

Watched the entire series

Hi Alex

Many thanks for posting the link to the Canadian Army Newsreels series on YouTube. Started off jumping around looking at them then decided start at the beginning and work my way through.

Watching them in order makes more sense of the history behind what is being shown. It is interesting to watch how the production values and scripting of the films evolves over time.

Any one wanting to find an authentic vehicle number for a particular vehicle which is lacking such history the Newsreels offer a good chance to find a number that would be correct for a particular type of MV.

The episodes listed on Youtube come from two sources with many having both but sometimes only one source posted a particular episode. Youtube search of "Canadian Army Newsreels" seems to find all of them.

Again thanks Alex for point us to these.

Cheers Phil

Hanno Spoelstra 04-01-16 12:11

All threads on "Canadian Army Newsreels" now merged.

Darrell Zinck 17-09-18 19:55

Canadian Army Newsreels

Hi

The War Amps has put a great number of WW2 and post-war newsreels up on YouTube.

Fun to watch and plenty of Vehicles, Soldiers, Regiments, etc to be seen

In the attached link, Newsreel #105 shows Army vehicles being de-mobbed in Holland. Starts at 6:25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-2HjUM8wUw

regards
Darrell

Hanno Spoelstra 17-09-18 20:34

Hello Darryll,

Thanks for bringing this subject “back to top”. I merged it with an earlier thread. The footage you mentioned was shot at Deelen Air Base, where most vehicles need the Canadian Army were surplussed and sold to the Netherlands government.

Hanno

Alex van de Wetering 17-09-18 23:13

Quote:

For $30 Cnd you can buy the entier set from the War Amps. The disks come with a small booklet with a synopsis of every disk and reel.
Any forum members witch connections to War Amps? I tried to order a set of DVD's a number of times, but I am getting no responce. It could be that being overseas scares them of....

Alex

Barry Churcher 18-09-18 01:10

Hi Alex
PM sent
Barry

Alex van de Wetering 18-09-18 13:01

Thanks Barry. PM in return.

Jordan,
could you check if there is any mention of a region code on the DVD set you have? I was discussing this with Barry and have also asked War Amps....are the DVD's region coded? Canada is region 1, Europe is region 2.....meaning that I can't watch the DVD's if they are region1 coded. :bang:

Alex

Jordan Baker 18-09-18 13:09

Sure, Ill check tonight and get back to you.

Bob Carriere 19-09-18 02:28

Not sure if any in Ottawa.....

.....but in Toronto, in China town, there are a number of photoshop stores that offer conversion from whatever format to Canadian code...cost?????

similar service must exist in Europe's larger cities.

Grant Bowker 19-09-18 03:27

Yes Bob, they do exist in Ottawa - one is Gladstone St at Bay St. NW corner. There must be others too, in other parts of the city as well.

Jordan Baker 19-09-18 05:16

I checked and there is no mention of any region code on the box or the DVD’s

Alex van de Wetering 19-09-18 13:15

Thanks Jordan. That means there is at least a chance that they are region free!

Bob, Grant, a friend can probably do the region code transfer for me, but I know for a fact that everyone is asking him for a favor to transfer their VHS tapes to DVD etc., so I rather not bother him with the transfer unless absolutely necessary. :D
I also remember from years ago that some of the very cheap DVD players were region code free so all DVD's could be played.

Alex

Grant Bowker 19-09-18 15:19

A quick Google suggests that region free players still exist. Most articles I saw were written from a North American perspective but I presume it should be valid info for the rest of the world.
There were also links to sites that list key sequences on the DVD players' remotes to set the region to "region free" or "all regions" status. One link is https://www.wisebread.com/make-your-...ree-in-seconds but the search string "region free DVD player hack" should give multiple results. Personally, I'm nervous about messing with firmware as I might end up with an expensive doorstop rather than a DVD player if the firmware gets corrupted.

Barry Churcher 28-09-18 03:38

Hi Alex
I talked to some nice young ladies at the War Amps last week and none of them could answer about the region questions. I just kept getting transferred from one to another. They were all very pleasant and tried to be helpful and the last girl said she would get someone to call me back. Well it took a week but they did phone today and we are out of luck with buying for another region. She did refer me to the HD You Tube versions. She said the videos should work on your computer so we will see. PM me your address and I will get a set in the mail.
mvg,
Barry