MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Info needed: CMP 13 cab passenger grab handle (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33673)

Bruce Parker (RIP) 06-09-22 02:43

CMP 13 cab passenger grab handle

I can't recall, does the grab handle that attaches to the floor in front of the passenger (left side) swivel left and right or is it fixed and only hinges up and down? In other words, is mine meant to be fixed or is it just rusted solid? The position of my (immovable without TLC) stud lets the handle sit nicely on the floor at an angle easy to grab.

Jacques Reed 06-09-22 03:35

Grab handle Cab 13

1 Attachment(s)
Bruce,

It swivels and is hinged. A castle nut and cotter pin under the floorboard keeps the nut from loosening as does the one at the hinge.
A real pain to get to the cotter pin under the floorboard to remove the nut!

Freed up this one too by gentle taps left and right after drowning the stud in Penetrene. I then put a Vice Grip on nut and worked handle back and forth a small amount until cotter pin sheared from fatigue. I was then able to remove castle nut and handle from floorboard.

Cheers,

Bruce Parker (RIP) 06-09-22 03:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques Reed (Post 288498)
Bruce,

It swivels and is hinged. A castle nut and cotter pin under the floorboard keeps the nut from loosening as does the one at the hinge.
A real pain to get to the cotter pin under the floorboard to remove the nut! Freed up this one too by gentle taps left and right after drowning the stud in Penetrene. I then put a Vice Grip on nut and worked handle back and forth a small amount until cotter pin sheared from fatigue and was then able to remove castle nut.

Cheers,

Thanks, that settles it. I tried tapping the stud to free it up (at that point not knowing it was mean to be freed up) but also not wanting to apply enough pressure to break the stud.

Marc Montgomery 13-09-22 01:10

Yes Bruce as Jacque says. Mine in the Chev was hinged and swivelled

8threcce 03-10-22 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Parker (Post 288496)
I can't recall, does the grab handle that attaches to the floor in front of the passenger (left side) swivel left and right or is it fixed and only hinges up and down? In other words, is mine meant to be fixed or is it just rusted solid? The position of my (immovable without TLC) stud lets the handle sit nicely on the floor at an angle easy to grab.

Mine siveled too however I chose to thighten the nut so that it is straight up.
My thought behind it that it wil make a hell of a noise when driving and the handle hitting the steel floor all the time.

Phil Waterman 03-10-22 22:57

You actually think you'll hear one more rattle

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8threcce (Post 288806)
Mine siveled too however I chose to thighten the nut so that it is straight up.
My thought behind it that it wil make a hell of a noise when driving and the handle hitting the steel floor all the time.

Given how much noise these trucks make I don't think you will hear it, though I did once wrap mine in a cloth when I was searching for a new rattle.

They are a nice conversation point, people ask "what that handle for?"

Cheers Phil

Bruce Parker (RIP) 03-10-22 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Waterman (Post 288811)
Given how much noise these trucks make I don't think you will hear it, though I did once wrap mine in a cloth when I was searching for a new rattle.

They are a nice conversation point, people ask "what that handle for?"

Cheers Phil

It seems to me if the CMP is lurching over rough ground and you reach down to support yourself with that handle you're setting yourself up for your forehead smashing into the unforgiving channel under the windshield on the next bump. These things should come with warning labels.