MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Toronto Military Antiques (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32081)

Neil Ashley 08-03-21 14:17

Toronto Military Antiques

Do any Canadian members have experience of using Toronto Military Antiques? I was trying to order a couple of cloth badges which could go normal leter post and they want £17.34 postage.

I know leaving the EU is causing some problems but a little excessive possibly.

Hanno Spoelstra 08-03-21 16:42

I don't think it has anything to do with the UK leaving the EU. I was quoted CAD 134 for shipping a CAD 100 item from Canada to the Netherlands...

What I read is that due to COVID the demand for shipping has increased, while the supply is lagging, hence the price increases.

B. Harris 08-03-21 17:03

Go figure...

Here is the calculator tool and you can get the correct value for shipping.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/a...execution=e1s1

rob love 08-03-21 17:14

Often, because of scammers, businesses will not ship things as non-trackable letter-mail anymore. And since companies like paypal and most credit card companies favor the purchaser, if the parcel does not make it, or the buyer claims it did not make it, even when the buyer specifies "no insurance/cheapest method", the seller is left holding the bag. As such, most sellers will only ship insured and trackable on the buyers dime.

Add to that the porch pirates, which has really taken off with the covid shutdowns, and it's another reason why sellers won't ship the cheapest method.

Jordan Baker 08-03-21 17:28

Also if purchasing from them, use their website and not from eBay. The EBAY prices tend to be higher and in US funds.

Neil Ashley 08-03-21 21:18

Thank you for the responses. It was their web site quoting that price.

I have e-mailed them requesting clarification.

Darrell Zinck 09-03-21 05:23

Hi Neil

I have purchased from them in the past. No issues. Prompt service.

As for the shipping costs, it is as Rob says; they cannot accept the risk anymore.

regards
Darrell

Neil Ashley 09-03-21 18:15

They have confirmed that it is the tracking that is the expensive bit but I cannot justify $30.00 for 2 trade badges so unfortunately cannot proceed.

rob love 09-03-21 19:14

Maybe one of the guys from the Toronto area will volunteer to buy them in store, and then mail them to you for a couple bucks postage. Mind you, depending on where they are in Toronto, it could be $15 in parking to go to the store.
Edit: Had a look and it appears to be about a km from the 401, which has half the population of Canada drive along each day.

Darrell Zinck 09-03-21 20:31

Hi Neil

Sorry but I'm no where near or I'd get them for you. :)

What trade badges are they?

regards
Darrell

Bruce Parker (RIP) 09-03-21 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 277405)
Edit: Had a look and it appears to be about a km from the 401,

And in Toronto that km would take 45 minutes to an hour...on a good day.

Dan Martel 10-03-21 01:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 277405)
Maybe one of the guys from the Toronto area will volunteer to buy them in store, and then mail them to you for a couple bucks postage.

Unfortunately, stores in Toronto may not be open yet due to lockdown. Good idea for when after the lockdown is lifted.

rob love 10-03-21 03:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Parker (Post 277411)

Why so many Canadians choose to live under those crowded conditions has always puzzled me.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 10-03-21 03:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 277436)
Why so many Canadians choose to live under those crowded conditions has always puzzled me.

They're also the ones that gave us (and incredibly still support) the destructive Liberals and Trudeau which shows there is something seriously wrong in their heads.

Robert Bergeron 11-03-21 01:15

Bruce , will all due respect , no politics in the Mess please .

rob love 11-03-21 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Parker (Post 277411)

I have a solution. Just park your car on the shoulder of the 401 and walk the 1 km to the store. That should take less than 10 minutes. :thup2:

Bruce Parker (RIP) 11-03-21 03:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 277452)
I have a solution. Just park your car on the shoulder of the 401 and walk the 1 km to the store. That should take less than 10 minutes. :thup2:

Have you seen that neighbourhood??? That, plus with the Toronto tow truck turf war problem your parked car would be scooped and in a chain link compound in 15 seconds flat. Ransom payola and tow would set you back $750 to a grand. There's a reason people don't like Toronto.

rob love 11-03-21 12:40

Around here I have seen vehicles parked in the ditch in the winter for several months. You just need to put the yellow tape around them. Another trick used by Manitobans is to put their four-way flashers on......that always buys 2 to 3 hours in a no parking zone.

Lynn Eades 11-03-21 18:55

I'm a kiwi. I bought one set of shims (guess 5 grams) and a 2nd / 3rd selector fork (very small and light) from Village Jeep. Postage EU 69+. You guys get it easy.