MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Brockway quick way rescued (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24519)

serge 25-09-15 09:17

Brockway quick way rescued

3 Attachment(s)
Hello

Since one week we have rescued a (now) very rare BROCKWAY QUICK WAY. From our knowledge only one is in running state in GREAT BRITAIN and an other in USA
There is an other in FRANCE owned by a private military vehicle collector.

Our truck was in a famous scrap yard in the south east of FRANCE near the little town of ROMAN in the DROME country.

A big lot of work is waiting for us but the truck has no missing parts. On the pic we can see the CLASSIFICATION BRIDGE with the number 18

Regards Serge

cliff 25-09-15 12:29

fantastic find and good to see it rescued. Please keep us up to date with the restoration progress please. :thup2:

Gordon Yeo 25-09-15 13:03

It's one thing to take on a truck that size, but put a piece of equipment like that on the back of it elevates a restoration to a whole new level!!!!! As Cliff asked, please post lots of pictures as you work on it. This will be fascinating to watch.

Gordon

serge 25-09-15 13:31

Other pic of the "baby"

1 Attachment(s)
Hello

I am very happy that you are interressed by our new truck. Of course I will show you the restoration progress. Nevertheless if some of the reader (mainly from europe) wishes to visit our museum and the current restoration , I would be able to open the doors.
I send you a last pic of the crane

Regards Serge

Niels V 25-09-15 16:11

You might know it, but It would be worth taking a look here http://514th.co.uk/english/site.php?...92009b4397db0c

Alex van de Wetering 25-09-15 17:22

Serge,

Well done. Was it the "la Calmette" scrapyard?

I seem to remember there is a running example here as well; I will check if I can find the picture.

Alex

Alex van de Wetering 25-09-15 18:15

5 Attachment(s)
Serge,

Here is the Dutch survivor. (pictures taken in 2012)

serge 25-09-15 19:24

Broackway quick way

Hello ALEX

Our truck was stored under the sky during near 40 years and the location of the scrapyard was at the east of VALENCE and near the town of ROMANS. The name of the location is "LA SAONE". It is a well known scrapyard with a large array covered by DODGE WC54. There were a great quantity of DIAMONT T some sold in HOLLAND. Actually there is 2 BROACKWAY in bridge layer configuration, one FEDERAL 606 or 604 but all in a very bad stad .

The owner of the scrapyard has start the fabrication of little part for DODGE , JEEP and GMC. On the wen he owns a site and you have to enter the "SMI" characters.

The truck saved in HOLLAND is very beautiful and we hope to do the same job

Best regards Serge

maple_leaf_eh 25-09-15 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niels V (Post 214414)
You might know it, but It would be worth taking a look here http://514th.co.uk/english/site.php?...92009b4397db0c

THAT is a tremendous story!

maple_leaf_eh 26-09-15 02:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by serge (Post 214424)
Hello ALEX

The owner of the scrapyard has start the fabrication of little part for DODGE , JEEP and GMC. On the wen he owns a site and you have to enter the "SMI" characters.

Best regards Serge

Serge:

Quelle est la nom du site au complet?

serge 26-09-15 07:33

Hello

The web address of the site is : www.jeep-dodge-gmc.com/

You will find page and page of parts but for some of them like "train fixe pour gear box of DODGE" the price is incredibily high.The owner ask 500 euros for an used part.

Regards Serge

DenisLutman 27-09-15 17:23

1 Attachment(s)
That is an awesome truck. There was a small American truck manufacturer in Henderson, North Carolina, USA, about 40 miles from where I live now.

Can you post pics of the data tags, please!

From the Corbitt website: "From 1939-1945 Corbitt designed and built over 3,200 50SD6 6-ton, 6x6 prime movers for the US Army. These trucks were equipped with either the 779 or the 855 cubic-inch Hercules 6-cylinder gasoline engine. They were used in every theater of operation during World War II. Corbitt lacked production capacity for all the trucks needed, so White, Brockway, Ward LaFrance, and FWD all built the same or very similar trucks. Altogether, over 10,000 of these trucks were built by the five manufacturers."

See the attached photo of a Corbitt.

serge 27-09-15 19:11

Data tag of our broackway

Hello

After a live of 40 years under the rain, the snow and the sun, you can imagine that the dash board is completely rusted. In the same way all data plates have disappeared and even the serial number punched on the left side of the frame can not been seen. May be after a sand blasting we hope to have some information.

To day , our problem is to put the truck in our shed but when the BROACKWAY was trailed by our PACIFIC M26 the first rear wheel stayed blocked and after 100 mètres the wheel shaft broke. Even without these part the wheel can not turn and I expect that the reason is rust between the drum and the rabestos.

Regards Serge

serge 18-10-15 20:05

Works on broackway

5 Attachment(s)
The big work of dismounting has begun outside and I show you some pics of the beast. In a first time with out fender then a week later without the arm

Regards Serge

serge 02-11-15 16:26

BROACKWAY QUICHWAY in our SHED

5 Attachment(s)
Hello

Using our one of PACIFIC M26 the BROACKWAY has been towed the pushed in a safe place.
Some pics joined

serge 29-02-16 11:13

News of the broackway quick way restoration

5 Attachment(s)
Hello

During these winter the dismounting of the engine has been effective and I show you some pic.

We have to note that on this truck the frame has been strengthen when we compare to other BROACKWAY like the BRIDGE PONTON

Regards Serge

Alex van de Wetering 01-03-16 22:50

Looking good Serge. I also saw some pics in Tank & Military Vehicles magazine, recently. It seems your club really has the right tools and space for this type of heavy equipment; excellent!

keep up the good work,

Alex

Alex van de Wetering 02-03-16 22:39

2 Attachment(s)
Some pictures from the Dutch army archives.

originals (can be enlarged):

http://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl/me...1-13966e870614

http://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl/me...1-13966e870614

source: http://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl

Alex

serge 03-03-16 14:48

news pics of BROACKWAY

4 Attachment(s)
Hello

We have discovered a part of the story of this BROACKWAY QUICKWAY. One day, the curator of ETABLISSEMENTS BEKE (now closed and well knowed) came in our garage and told us that he was the previous driver of the truck immediately after the truck was demob. At this time the father of the owner of the scrap yard of “LA SAONE” (were we take the truck in south of FRANCE) owned an area in front of the scrap yard of mister BEKE and he asked him if he could drive the truck between SATORY and THIAIS. SATORY was the place were all military trucks demobed were sold and actually our garage is situated in front of these area.

Mister BEKE told that he was very afraid during the way because the BROACKWAY has no brake and was towed using only a chain !!!

After some years the truck was send to “LA SAONE ” where it stays near 40 years. So the truck is come back at the place where it was sold by French army near 50 years ago. Fun story no?

serge 21-09-17 14:20

Broackway quickway two years later

2 Attachment(s)
helo
In some previous thread I had exposed the truck our association had acquired from a scrapyard near GRENOBLE in FRANCE.
After two years of hard work the truck begin to see the day . frame, brakes, new tires, engine completely rebuilded (but actualy not mounted) have been restored.
The crane has been completely dismounted.

A GREAT NUMBER OF WORK IS WATING OUR;

Joe Lorenzino 24-09-17 17:19

Front Axle Details PLEASE??

Was at a local scrap yard yesterday, and what looks like an ex-military front drive axle assembly has shown up on the pile. Cast center housing with 6 bolt flanges for outer ball/steering ends. Rear drop-out differential that looks to be a double geared "deep-reduction" system. Air Brakes. Clevis type tie rod ends instead of spherical type. 10 bolt wheel flanges.
Have an FWD front end at the far that I will compare it to today, but if You could post a picture of the front axle in this truck, especially of the knuckle ends, and the driveshaft / differential, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Richard Farrant 24-09-17 18:17

Hi Serge,
Well done, you are progressing well. Good to know you are keeping busy!

regards, Richard

Alex van de Wetering 26-09-17 23:13

Lovely work Serge! I was just checking out the UNIVEM website last week; the M4A4 has also come a long way :thup:

Alex

colin jones 27-09-17 23:10

What a great project and an unusual one at that :thup: Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming. :thup2:

serge 17-06-19 10:47

Broakway news

Hello

After one year without post I give you some information about our QUICKWAY restorationThe engine has been completely rebuilded and mounted on the truck with the cab
Now the team is working on the crane but unhappyly the job was not ended for NORMANDY
I will post pics in a few time

serge 17-06-19 11:06

Series of pic

5 Attachment(s)
In first the engine the the cab

maple_leaf_eh 17-06-19 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenisLutman (Post 214525)
....."From 1939-1945 Corbitt designed and built over 3,200 50SD6 6-ton, 6x6 prime movers for the US Army. These trucks were equipped with either the 779 or the 855 cubic-inch Hercules 6-cylinder gasoline engine. They were used in every theater of operation during World War II..."

I did some conversions of the engine displacement - just about one half a cubic foot (.49cu3), or 14 litres. Sheesh! My VW diesel comes in at 1/7th the WW2 engine, or all of one cylinder for my four cylinders.

James P 17-06-19 22:56

Great work you are doing, I love seeing unusual vehicles and equipment like this being restored .

Alex van de Wetering 19-06-19 23:36

Excellent work Serge. Pity that you could't get it done for Normandy....sadly with my C8 it's the same story.

Was the M4A4T at Vierville camp from your club?

Alex

Alex van de Wetering 05-04-22 17:28

1 Attachment(s)
Serge,

I noticed a Brockway in the pictures of the recent RETROMOBILE fair.......Well done to you and the team!

source:http://www.milinfo.org/-720

Alex