MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   For Sale: Artillery tail light (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28211)

kevin powles 22-11-17 18:28

Artillery tail light

4 Attachment(s)
Tail marker light, needs a good clean to use as is or restore, no cable. £30

rob love 22-11-17 21:20

I'll take that if still available. PM sent.

Tim Bell 22-11-17 22:44

NOS lights with 3m braided cable in boxes - available here...

https://www.buyexmilitarysurplus.co....CM-500.SA.html

Tim

rob love 23-11-17 01:17

Thanks Tim...I ordered one.

Paul Dutton 23-11-17 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bell (Post 244933)
NOS lights with 3m braided cable in boxes - available here...

https://www.buyexmilitarysurplus.co....CM-500.SA.html

Tim

Is that the post war one? Wartime didn't have wire braid cable or screw connector at rear I think . Been after two wartime ones for while now and convoy light if any a available. I'm in UK

Robin Craig 23-11-17 11:43

1 Attachment(s)
I have these two lights that are available, not quite sure what they are, someone wanted them then found others, very good deal for the right person do they suit your needs?

kevin powles 23-11-17 13:53

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Dutton (Post 244953)
Is that the post war one? Wartime didn't have wire braid cable or screw connector at rear I think . Been after two wartime ones for while now and convoy light if any a available. I'm in UK

The one I’m selling is now sold and is wartime, I’ve attached a pic of an identical one I have which is dated 1945 and has braided screw on cable.

Neil Ashley 23-11-17 14:17

I would assume that the braded steel cable ones came in near the end of the war.

The standard vehicle pattern without the window and convoy light pattern just has wires pushed into the back. Clearly in this use the cables would not last long.

tankbarrell 23-11-17 14:25

Surely the braided covering is for the artillery light. The lamp also has the window to illuminate the white part of the main bracket.

The vehicle light didn't need the window as there was a separate axle floodlight and the lamp was wired to the vehicle harness.

Neil Ashley 23-11-17 14:28

Indeed not disputing that.

Be interesting to know what they used pre 43 when this simplified pattern of light must have been introduced.

Tim Bell 23-11-17 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankbarrell (Post 244963)
Surely the braided covering is for the artillery light. The lamp also has the window to illuminate the white part of the main bracket.

The vehicle light didn't need the window as there was a separate axle floodlight and the lamp was wired to the vehicle harness.

The original sale was for the artillery tail light - believed this to be the lamp and cable which goes with it.

rob love 23-11-17 19:23

They list the cable as being about 3 meters long which might be a little short for the 25 pounder. I would estimate the cable would have to be at least 16 feet or longer to work. The 25pr manual sitting here at my desk lists the electrical cable as being 42ft 6 in so perhaps more of a universal cable for use with some of the larger artillery. The part number given by Blanchard's of CM500SA matches the 25pdr manual though.

End of the day, it is one more piece to the 25 pounder collection.

kevin powles 24-11-17 15:55

Light

I’ll measure the cable when I get a chance, it’s the same type of cable used to wire universal carriers, that’s why it’s being sold without the cable 🤔

rob love 24-11-17 16:12

I noticed that....the protruding wires look like the blue and red hypalon coated wires of the carriers. It will be interesting to see if the same wiring is in the NOS lights, however with only 3m of wiring, it will be an expensive way to wire a carrier.

kevin powles 25-11-17 11:20

The braided cable can be used where it leaves the instrument panel to the cable guard next to the driver.

rob love 05-12-17 20:16

I got in the lamp and cable from Blanchard's today, and the part number CM500SA is on the box. Sure enough, the cable is 15 good paces long, so the measurement of 42.5 feet is likely correct.

I had a look inside the braided sheath, and the wires colours are red and black. They appear a little too light to use on a 6 volt system for anything beyond the gauges.
Still waiting for the bracket from Kevin...with the Christmas rush on the post office things are moving slightly slower from the UK than they usually do. I have been amazed at the speed some of the stuff makes it to here.

kevin powles 05-12-17 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 245386)
I got in the lamp and cable from Blanchard's today, and the part number CM500SA is on the box. Sure enough, the cable is 15 good paces long, so the measurement of 42.5 feet is likely correct.

I had a look inside the braided sheath, and the wires colours are red and black. They appear a little too light to use on a 6 volt system for anything beyond the gauges.
Still waiting for the bracket from Kevin...with the Christmas rush on the post office things are moving slightly slower from the UK than they usually do. I have been amazed at the speed some of the stuff makes it to here.

Rob, you should of got that lamp by now, I’ve the posting receipts here.