MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ontario Military Vehicle Association News (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   OMVA Winter Show Feb 2013 (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19546)

peter simundson 11-12-12 20:29

OMVA Winter Show Feb 2013

The OMVA Winter Show is Feb 23, 2013 at the Acton Legion.

Normal terms apply. Doors open to dealers at 7 am. Members and

General public at 8 am. Show ends at 12 noon.

NOTE that anyone taking a free table MUST be a member or a charge will apply(and I will collect it). Likewise any helper at a table must be a member or a $5 fee applies.

Guests are $5, Wives kids, veterans,are free. Tables are free.

Your morning coffee is free. Can it get any better?

Peter S

Jon Skagfeld 13-12-12 23:40

Peter: I'm being neither snarky nor picky with this question.

What definition of veteran are you using for admission criterion?

Are you using the definition that most, if not all, Legions use, i.e. a veteran of service in The Second World War and perhaps Korea, or,

Are you using the definition which has been proclaimed by the Government of Canada, i.e. any serviceperson who has served three or more years?

peter simundson 13-12-12 23:45

Veteran

A service person who has served with the Canadian Forces or RCMP.

Identification of some kind would be required.

I did 22 years and am on pension I know what a veteran is.

Why do you ask??

Peter S

servicepub (RIP) 14-12-12 03:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter simundson (Post 173500)

Peter S

Timely. The Veteran's Ombudsman has just recommended that VAC issue Veteran's identification cards. This would cover everyone under the GoC definition.

C

Gordon Yeo 14-12-12 13:28

Veterans Identification Cards

Perhaps the Veterans Ombudsman is just looking to the future. Veterans Affairs Canada is closing nine regional offices across Canada and laying off hundreds of staff. Now Services Canada will be able to provide information and services to VAC clients. Think about that for a minute! I wonder how much training Service Canada employes will have to deal with veterans and would the I.D. card make access to services easier.

Jay Foster 14-12-12 15:34

here we go again

not bashing those few dedicated folks I've dealt with but it might be nice to have other people to argue with, I think I've had it out with just about everyone in VAC... :bang: Still its better ( on the surface anyway) than the last bright idea of eventually rolling VAC back under DND.

charlie fitton 18-12-12 19:12

yahoo

...bein' a vetrin finally pays off...

Jon Skagfeld 19-12-12 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter simundson (Post 173500)
A service person who has served with the Canadian Forces or RCMP.

I did 22 years and am on pension I know what a veteran is.

Why do you ask??

Peter S

The reason I ask is that only after 20 years service is one issued the NDI 75 Record of Service ID Card, so someone with 19 years, 11 months service or less, would not have this plasticized card to show.

PS: I'll see your 22 and raise you 15.

References: CANFORGEN 052/03 ADMHRMIL 015 091747Z APR 03, titled "Depart with Dignity" as well as CFAO 15-2 Annex D, titled "Acknowledgment of Service".

peter simundson 19-12-12 13:30

The NDI 75 card actually requires 10 years service. An alternative is the CAFIB 13 issued by the Unit to members, attached ex members a or by special application (you are an ex Cdn Forces member and you know the RSM or DCO). The OMVA is hardly this rigid.
A picture of you in Uniform carrying a Mess Tin, in a trench looking official (armed, with or without a cheese grater) is OK, or simply "Hi, I did time with the PPCLI my service number was
SB 800000" or whatever. Who lies about being a "vetrin"?

charlie fitton 19-12-12 20:09

OK - ya wanna play that way...

Qoute: "PS: I'll see your 22 and raise you 15."

I'll see that, and raise another 18months...

charlie fitton 19-12-12 20:11

Ok-

[QUOTE=Jon Skagfeld;173669]

"PS: I'll see your 22 and raise you 15.'

I'll see that 37, and raise another 1..

f

chris vickery 19-12-12 20:23

When do they start issuing CF spec walkers, canes and wheelchairs??? :doh:
You guys are too much. Getting a freebee at the OMVA show for the sake of $5, sheesh. Free admission, fre coffee, free donuts. I guess it would only get better if we offered free pickup and delivery and free MV parts as well. I guess it is true that it is always older folks who line up at the counter for the free McD's coffee (every day is a seniors day) or hold up the check out line with the plethora of quickly cropped, flyer coupons. :p
See waht you started Peter?

Jay Foster 19-12-12 20:38

Suddenly I dont feel so old... sorry "seasoned"

Jon Skagfeld 20-12-12 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie fitton (Post 173674)
Qoute: "PS: I'll see your 22 and raise you 15."

I'll see that, and raise another 18months...

Check to the bumper.

charlie fitton 20-12-12 17:28

OK Chris

[QUOTE=chris vickery;173676],
I guess it would only get better if we offered free pickup and delivery and free MV parts as well.

PICKUP in Maryhill - 0630. and a truck for the return trip .

thanks

chris vickery 21-12-12 05:31

I guess officers like you and Skagfeld need your own personal drivers? No chance of throwing you in the back with the rest of the grunts?

Jon Skagfeld 21-12-12 12:55

Yep...personal driver = batman with 404s.

Aren't we a tad OT?

Alex Blair (RIP) 23-12-12 15:00

Old age..

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris vickery (Post 173676)
When do they start issuing CF spec walkers, canes and wheelchairs??? :doh:
You guys are too much. Getting a freebee at the OMVA show for the sake of $5, sheesh. Free admission, fre coffee, free donuts. I guess it would only get better if we offered free pickup and delivery and free MV parts as well. I guess it is true that it is always older folks who line up at the counter for the free McD's coffee (every day is a seniors day) or hold up the check out line with the plethora of quickly cropped, flyer coupons. :p
See waht you started Peter?

Chris..
You get old too fast and smart too late..
Are you telling us you are not smart yet????....I got news for you...you will get there sooner or later...If some woman doesn't do you in first..
Have a great Christmas..to every one..
MLU does not shut down for holidays thank goodness.
Alex

servicepub (RIP) 23-12-12 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris vickery (Post 173676)
When do they start issuing CF spec walkers, canes and wheelchairs???

Hey, a new title in the Weapons of War series, "Medical Mobility Devices in Canadian Service". :salute:

chris vickery 23-12-12 16:29

:p :p :p :pnice one Clive! :p :p :p

Dean (Ajax) 23-12-12 18:01

Funny I think I have 9 years and 9 months..guess since I am under the 10 years..I won't get a card.

Dean

rob love 23-12-12 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Ajax) (Post 173788)
Funny I think I have 9 years and 9 months..guess since I am under the 10 years..I won't get a card.

Dean

Short-timer...although you likely got out with your knees still intact.

The criteria for veteran's plates (in this province anyway) is 3 years service...regular or reserve.

Jon Skagfeld 23-12-12 18:48

...same in Ontario...

Dean (Ajax) 23-12-12 20:11

Kness really ****ed...broke the right one twice...hate the damed damp air!!!!!
3 YEARS???!!!!...in my time I did about 30 years of work...but then again I stared out as a Medic...

Dean

Eric B 14-02-13 14:46

Omva winter show reminder

Hello Folks

Just a reminder that the OMVA Winter show is fast approaching.

I will be unable to attend.

Thanks

Eric

charlie fitton 14-02-13 16:07

.......... who line up at the counter for the free McD's coffee (every day is a seniors day) or hold up the check out line with the plethora of quickly cropped, flyer coupons. .

And I ack like I'm surprised when the clerk tells me how much my purchase cost, THEN I get my wallet and start counting out change...

(no wait..)

(Darn!)

45jim 14-02-13 17:20

"Real" Veterans..

What the hell was it like after WWII when just about every male in Canada (except Quebec) was a Veteran? I am sure there were special Government programs for re-education, job training and low interest loans to buy a farm or start a business but most likely no deals at your local movie theater or favorite eatin place.

And don't get me started on the definition of a Veteran; if you didn't actually use, crew or maintain a weapon of war (something that requires proximity to the enemy to be effective) during your service you were a spectator.

Seniors have always gotten special considerations (free McDonald's coffee included) and perhaps given the advancing age of our membership we should give due consideration to those crusty members in our midst and make it free for "seniors". But the caveat is that if you still hold a valid drivers licence you don't qualify as a "senior" under club rules and you pay's your $5.

And Charlie, I know you have one of those.... :salute:

charlie fitton 14-02-13 17:46

.....under club rules and you pay's your $5.

(If I wasn't payin'- I'd be donatin')

Dean (Ajax) 15-02-13 01:19

Peter, I will try to make that show..if I can I will bring the QOR Museum donations with me..and the buckle if I remember it!!!

Take Care

Dean

45jim 15-02-13 02:51

Charlie you da man!

Stewart and I will of course be making ours...