MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Another Wiles Cooker Recovered (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18477)

Ghost 17-05-12 03:04

Another Wiles Cooker Recovered

I have recently saved one more wiles cooker (senior) from the oxy torch.
This one was just about to be cut down & converted into a fuel trailer.
Now I have two of these heavy old girls - one restored & one to be restored.

Regards,
Robert Williams

Keith Webb 17-05-12 07:08

Wiles

Good save, Robert!
Looks to be in very good shape for something as old as that.
Also good to be able to read the ARN.
Does it have it's insides?

Mike Kelly 17-05-12 09:06

lot No.

The auction LOT nr. is still on it . That's in amazing condition for its age .

Mike C will have the reg. nr details, maybe

Bob Moseley (RIP) 17-05-12 10:28

Wiles Pipework

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all - firstly well done on the save. I restored one of these under a Work For The Dole program in 2003. Always being a stickler for originality I had the pipework repainted in the original colours. However some stupid old fart did not like that and threatened to quit the museum if the pipework was not finished in brass as he remembered it in his National Service days. Anyway the committee agreed with him and once again the restoration was incorrect. Anyway I quit that lot as they all had their own agendas and politics.

Image depicts the original colours.

Bob

aj.lec 17-05-12 10:57

Nice pickup :cheers:
Looks to be in pretty good shape.
Very glad it was saved before a horrific chop :salute:

Mike Cecil 17-05-12 17:34

Interesting ....

Bob's image is one converted to liquid fuel (by Army). Later conversions were to LPG (bottled).

Robert, what are the boiler numbers (stamped into the face of ther boilers) and, if the nomenclature plates survive, the Wiles manufacturing number, please?

Mike C

Mike Cecil 17-05-12 17:45

Robert,

As you would already know, the baking dishes were heavy duty black steel with rolled and wired top edges and tapered sides. They are a difficult item to manufacture. However, I am aware that Cecil & Company in Bayswater, Melbourne, have made at least one set, so if you want accurate replicas, then Chris Cecil is the man to talk to. Yes, I am related: he is my nephew. The company was started by my grandfather in 1922, and is now up to its fifth generation of family tinsmiths (Chris is 4th gen, his son also works there).

You mentioned another working Wiles in your area: could I ask you to provide me with the boiler number, ARN, etc if you could manage it, please? I'd appreciate it greatly.

Regards

Mike C

Mike Cecil 17-05-12 18:17

OK: now you have my attention, Robert.

You have one of the really, really rare 'Wiles' cookers .....because it wasn't built by Wiles. It was one of less than 200 built by a company called Boyded, located in NSW. The Army were so frustrated with the slow rate of production from South Australia that they had the NSW Board of Business Administration award a contract to Boyded to build Army Steam Kitchens to the Wiles basic design, as improved by Army. Wiles were not amused. There was all sorts of problems with the contract, and not due to Boyden, either, if you get my drift. Certain assemblies were Wiles patents.

I don't know much about the Boyded companmy, but would like to find out more, as I'm sure you would now, too.

I'd be really interested to know the boiler details and any info from the nomenclature plate, please: this would be a rare find in any condition, let alone in the condition in which you have found it. :salute:

Regards

Mike C

Keith Webb 18-05-12 00:26

Boiler numbers

Interesting to see the boiler numbers are sequential.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost (Post 164995)
ARN - 123508
Serial No. - 174M
Boiler Serial No. - 2600

ARN - 44113
Serial No. - 749
Boiler Serial No. - 2599

Mike Cecil 18-05-12 02:34

Yes, Keith, the chances of that are pretty slim. The boiler numbers 2599 and 2600 actualy correspond to boilers manufactured in the late 1950s/early 1960s after Wiles did their last batch of complete Wiles 4 wheel steam kitchens in 1958-59 (which all have boiler numbers in the 2400 range), so I suggest they might be replacements? Hard to see how that could be, though. The critical number listed by Robert is the Oven assembly numbers - 174M and 749.

Wiles numbered their boilers and ovens sequentially at manufacture, commencing at assembly no.1, and reaching more than 2600 by the early 1960s. The same boilers were installed in static oven assemblies for fixed camps, Wiles 4 wheel and Wiles Junior steam kitchens. Hence, the actual number of 4-wheel Wiles is only about 1,000 or so (hard to tell, as RAAF and RAN records are pretty woeful)

The manufacturer's serial numbers for these two complete trailers were:

123508: Boyded serial 508.
44113: Wiles serial 340.

These numbers should have been stamped on the nomenclature plate, afixed to the rear panel, low down in the centre, but being bronze, are usually well gone by now.

Robert: thanks for the numbers, and look forward to receiving the numbers from the other one when you get around to it.

Regards

Mike C

Euan McDonald 18-05-12 02:39

rear plate

1 Attachment(s)
Like this one Mike?
poor pic from phone sorry.

Mike Kelly 18-05-12 02:55

Cookers

We are becoming all steamed up over these cookers :doh:.

There was another one in regular use , a VMVC member hauled one around and put on cooked meals for club events years ago, the hauler was a early 1950's ex army Inter truck . He passed on and no more hot meals for the members .

Euan McDonald 18-05-12 03:10

no more hot meals?

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kelly (Post 165002)
We are becoming all steamed up over these cookers :doh:.

There was another one in regular use , a VMVC member hauled one around and put on cooked meals for club events years ago, the hauler was a early 1950's ex army Inter truck . He passed on and no more hot meals for the members .

Mike you need to get out more, we have put on hot meals (pies & scones) with our wiles jnr at a few club outing over the last couple of years.

Mike Cecil 18-05-12 03:52

Yes, Euan, that's the style of plate. Do you have the number off that plate by any chance?

And you are right, Mike, I have been steamed up about Wiles cookers and their construction for years. The original correspondence makes for very interesting reading.

Mike C

Ryan 18-05-12 05:43

cooker

Holy crap, I spotted one of these on ebay last night while surfing!

I'll go look for it now.....

found it! Is this one of the ovens? Looks to have the same handles.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Antique-W...item4d014704fe

Euan McDonald 18-05-12 07:06

trays

I will have a bash at this one on Ebay as I could do with the trays for ours and its in the next suburb to me.

jack neville 18-05-12 07:34

wiles junior

Does anyone know where I can get some gland packing to suit the water pump on a Wiles Junior Cooker. I need to overhaul mine so it doesn't leak so much. Is it special stuff peculiar to a Wiles or is it available at bearing places?

jack neville 18-05-12 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euan McDonald (Post 165014)
I will have a bash at this one on Ebay as I could do with the trays for ours and its in the next suburb to me.

Euan,

I have put a bid on it for the oven. I can relocate it to my bush block. If I win it you can have the trays.

Lynn Eades 18-05-12 08:00

Jack

Try an older Plumbing business.

Euan McDonald 18-05-12 09:34

gland packing

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack neville (Post 165015)
Does anyone know where I can get some gland packing to suit the water pump on a Wiles Junior Cooker. I need to overhaul mine so it doesn't leak so much. Is it special stuff peculiar to a Wiles or is it available at bearing places?

Jack, I can get the packing you need. Will send you some in my spare time. :drunk:

Bob Moseley (RIP) 18-05-12 10:19

Museum Wiles

Just for interest I dug up my Wiles images and from what I can see this one had the boiler number 12635. I thought I had an image of the nomenclature plate but cannot find it.

Bob

Mike Cecil 18-05-12 16:15

Thanks, Bob. I would be surprised if it is the boiler number: even the late production ones only reach 4 digits like '2600' - at least the ones I have seen and the records I have. Boilers have lots of dates and digits on them, as they were stamped each time they were tested. The longer in service, the more numbers. That number just seems too large for the boiler production number. Can you send the image to my email address, perhaps?

Regards

Mike C

Robert Farmer 19-05-12 00:41

3 Attachment(s)
Heres one in my area ( Yass ) Don't have boiler number on hand but can get it. Mike, are you collecting details on Junior cookers also?
Robert.

Mike Cecil 19-05-12 04:36

Hi Robert,

Yes, in an effort to try and unravel the complexities of Wiles steam kitchen production, I've also been collecting the Wiles Junior info as well.

The Wiles you show images of is quite early - build number 270, which should have Oven number 668, so a check of both the boiler numbers and the oven number would be appreciated, please.

Regards

Mike C

cliff 19-05-12 06:21

can someone get me the basic overall measurements of the trailer and Oven so I can attempt to make one in 1/35 scale please. :thup2:

Tony Wheeler 19-12-14 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliff (Post 165050)
can someone get me the basic overall measurements of the trailer and Oven so I can attempt to make one in 1/35 scale please. :thup2:

Cliff, did you manage to get the required measurements? If not I can provide whatever you need including photo detail. Sounds like a good project well suited to modelling - nice and boxy!

cliff 19-12-14 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler (Post 203729)
Cliff, did you manage to get the required measurements? If not I can provide whatever you need including photo detail. Sounds like a good project well suited to modelling - nice and boxy!

Hi Tony. No I did not get any measurements but am still interested if you are willing please :thup2:

Tony Wheeler 20-12-14 03:45

No worries Cliff, I'll get onto it next few days.

Euan McDonald 20-12-14 06:06

Manual

Hi Cliff,
Would a manual help? I can copy what ever you need.

cliff 20-12-14 09:52

Euan that would be really good along with a few measurements from Tony.

Thanks for the help :thup2: