MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Heads Up: 2Pdr Anti-Tank Carrier- Littlefield collection (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21684)

Darrin Wright 19-02-14 09:55

2Pdr Anti-Tank Carrier- Littlefield collection

3 Attachment(s)
This may have been covered before, but the Littlefield collection is being sold on the 11-12 July 2014.

They have a 2 Pound Attack Carrier, oh....they also have other stuff, go to http://www.auctionsamerica.com/event...ion=&category=

Quote:

Lot No. 22

Offered Without Reserve

Estimate: $ 75,000 - $100,000

To be offered on July 11-12, 2014

Weight: 5.6 tons (5,080kg)
Length: 13' 6” (4.11m)
Width: 6' 7” (2.00m)
Height: 6' 2'” (1.57m)
Crew: 4
Armor:
.25” (6mm)-.40” (10mm) driver's cab
Weapons:
-Primary
QF 2-pounder anti-tank gun
-Secondary
1x .303cal Bren machine gun
-Ammunition
80x 2pdr
?x .303cal
Engine: Ford V8, 95-hp
Power/weight: 15.3-hp/ton
Fuel Capacity: Unknown
Range: approx. 125 miles (201km)
Speed: 20mph (32km/h)

The vehicle being offered, Australian 2 pounder Anti-tank Gun Carrier, serial number 6084,was built in 1942 by Metropolitan Gas Company in Melbourne. This rare vehicle is in perfectly restored condition. It is a complete vehicle the runs and drives very smoothly.

For the first 2-½ years of World War II, the 2 pounder anti-tank gun was the standard towed anti-tank weapon of the British Commonwealth. It was a heavy and cumbersome weapon, so various attempts were made to create self-propelled versions of the weapon. Great Britain, Canada and Australia all designed self-propelled versions using the British Universal Carrier as the base vehicle. In Australia, a domestically produced version called the LP2 carrier was used for there design.

The Australian 2 pounder Anti-tank Gun Carrier, also known as 2pdr Attack Carrier was built on an extended LP2 chassis. The driver had an open topped compartment that was armored on the front and sides. The gun was mounted on an open platform at the rear of the vehicle that allowed the gun to be traversed 360 degrees. The vehicle had a crew of 4: commander, gunner, loader, and driver. Testing of the first prototypes began in August and September of 1941. At the conclusion of successful trials in February/March 1942, an order for 200 of them was placed with the first one being delivered in May 1942. They were built by Metropolitan Gas Company of Melbourne.

By the time the 2 pounder Anti-tank Gun Carrier came into service, it was already obsolete as the German vehicles it was designed to combat had armor that was too thick for the 2pdr to successfully penetrate. As a result, all of the carriers were kept in Australia and used as training vehicles and equipment for Australian reserve and volunteer units

Mike Cecil 19-02-14 18:27

Having seen this vehicle on a couple of occasions, the last time in 2012, I would not agree that it is a 'perfectly restored condition'.

Note the registration number ..... the signwriter must have been dyslexic!

Mike C

Lynn Eades 19-02-14 22:23

O.K. Mike,............can you please explain? I can't see the dfference:ergh:

Mike Cecil 19-02-14 22:51

The carrier displays '4086', while the hull number (and hence the correct registration number) is '6084'.

Mike C

lynx42 20-02-14 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cecil (Post 191967)
The carrier displays '4086', while the hull number (and hence the correct registration number) is '6084'.

Mike C

Mike that's a bit like the Ford M/H Dingo at the AWM. 77160 on one side and 77610 on the other.

Regards Rick.

Mike Cecil 20-02-14 01:06

I think you are a bit out of date, Rick. An early error by a conservator, long since corrected (or so I'm told).

Mike C

ron 20-02-14 05:13

Marmon Herrington two man tank

As a matter of interest does anyone know if the Marmon herrington Two man tank is still in the collection to be sold? as I still have the complete driveline here for one Regards Ron

Ian Mastin 20-02-14 07:15

All so to a matter of interest is that an air cleaner mounted on the front under the gun ? to me it looks like one out of a Fordson WOT.

Regards
Ian

lynx42 20-02-14 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cecil (Post 191972)
I think you are a bit out of date, Rick. An early error by a conservator, long since corrected (or so I'm told).

Mike C

Yes Mike , it was a while ago.

Regards Rick

Darrin Wright 20-02-14 08:44

found some more pics

3 Attachment(s)
These pics are from a forum/Littlefield site from about 5-6 years ago.
Shows that air cleaner.

Richard Farrant 20-02-14 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Mastin (Post 191984)
All so to a matter of interest is that an air cleaner mounted on the front under the gun ? to me it looks like one out of a Fordson WOT.

Regards
Ian

That is the bellows air cleaner used on a lot of early wartime British vehicles and I believe on some Australian built Carriers. I have a feeling it would have first been seen over there on the Vickers Light Tank MkVI that Australia bought for training. Often referred to as a Vokes but made by other companies as well.

regards Richard

jack neville 20-02-14 10:36

Awm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynx42 (Post 191970)
Mike that's a bit like the Ford M/H Dingo at the AWM. 77160 on one side and 77610 on the other.

Regards Rick.

A bit like the kubelwagen which had its spare wheel upside down for a long time. We all have our bloopers.

Mike Cecil 20-02-14 16:29

Ahh, the 'Zibelfritzer' .... it was a debacle from the moment it was acquired (way, way before my time). The spare wheel was the least of its myriad of problems!! Virtually the only original parts were the floor pan and some fittings.

NOT my favorite collection vehicle, and I would have been quite happy to see it gone/replaced with a more original example. I'd better stop at that point. :bang:

Mike C

Wayne Henderson 21-02-14 04:03

kubel

I'll pick up this and kick it along... went and saw the AWM Kubel when I was working on a fellows original one and my Kommanderwagen. This was about 14 or so years back. Somewhere below not good to why bother.
I don't usually comment on other peoples restorations as time, money, ability and drive factors are different for everyone... but the government wasted my money on this one. I don't even like the colour.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 21-02-14 04:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Henderson (Post 192026)
I'll pick up this and kick it along... went and saw the AWM Kubel when I was working on a fellows original one and my Kommanderwagen. This was about 14 or so years back. Somewhere below not good to why bother.
I don't usually comment on other peoples restorations as time, money, ability and drive factors are different for everyone... but the government wasted my money on this one. I don't even like the colour.

Bravo for speaking up.

Mike Cecil 21-02-14 04:32

The 'C**perwagen' (got the hint about what I think of it??) was one of several vehicles purchased as a bulk lot from a certain north NSW coast museum owner/restorer (now deceased) who was contracted to undertake a top-class restoration. The AWM received some pretty dubious advice from outside 'authorities' along the way.

Suffice to say, none of the vehicles purchased (I think in the 80s? or 70s?) remain in the AWM's collection except the 'C**perwagen'.

Mike C

colin jones 21-02-14 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cecil (Post 192031)
The 'C**perwagen' (got the hint about what I think of it??) was one of several vehicles purchased as a bulk lot from a certain north NSW coast museum owner/restorer (now deceased) who was contracted to undertake a top-class restoration. The AWM received some pretty dubious advice from outside 'authorities' along the way.

Suffice to say, none of the vehicles purchased (I think in the 80s? or 70s?) remain in the AWM's collection except the 'C**perwagen'.

Mike C

That's funny Mike :yappy: :yappy: :yappy: I gather "Classy" was the word you mean!?? :)
Colin.