MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New Book-Webbing at War (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33588)

Darren Abbott 03-08-22 07:01

New Book-Webbing at War

4 Attachment(s)
For your copy of this fantastic new book by Edward Hallett, contact Southern Cross Militaria in Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia. www.southerncrossmilitaria.com
Webbing at War tells the story of the 1937 Pattern Webbing, its development around the world and looks at the many variations that can be found. Featuring the Introduction, Components, Wearing the set, Post War, RAF and RN use, India, Canada, South Africa, Australia, Accessories, Legacy.
A great addition to your reference book collection.

Tim Bell 03-08-22 16:49

I have this title already - good reference book.

Personally I would have preferred it in hard-back.

Tim

Chris Suslowicz 03-08-22 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bell (Post 287930)
I have this title already - good reference book.

Personally I would have preferred it in hard-back.

Tim

It's available in hardcover, because I bought one. :)

(They tend to last a lot longer than the 'glued spine' softcovers, so I prefer to get proper bindings if they exist.)

Chris.

Tim Bell 03-08-22 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz (Post 287938)
It's available in hardcover, because I bought one. :)

(They tend to last a lot longer than the 'glued spine' softcovers, so I prefer to get proper bindings if they exist.)

Chris.

Chris

Really - I never got that option!

The link I got only gave a soft-copy option... off for a grumble tomorrow!

I never buy soft-copies unless there is no alternative.

Just turned from happy customer into disgruntled one.

It is however still a good book.

Tim

Mike Cecil 03-08-22 23:30

Hardcover from where, plz?

Hi Chris ,

Hardcover is available from where, please? I agree with you about the bindings, but I've trawled through the sellers and the only reference to hardcovers is as an exclusive for those who participated in the Kickstarters programme which ended in April (before I knew of the book).

Mike

Tim Bell 03-08-22 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cecil (Post 287940)
Hi Chris ,

Hardcover is available from where, please? I agree with you about the bindings, but I've trawled through the sellers and the only reference to hardcovers is as an exclusive for those who participated in the Kickstarters programme which ended in April (before I knew of the book).

Mike

Mike

I have messaged the author on Facebook... will see what he says.

Tim

Mike Cecil 03-08-22 23:38

Like button

Thanks Tim, if there was a 'like' button, I'd have pressed it.

Mike

Chris Suslowicz 04-08-22 00:45

Ah, oops!

The hardcover was only available via the Kickstarter campaign.

Apologies (I'd forgotten that small detail - then again, it was last April, and the arrival of the book took me by surprise.)

:doh:

Chris.

Tim Bell 04-08-22 18:32

Chris / Mike

The author has advised that when volume 2 comes out it may be possible to get that and vol 1 in hardback - if he thinks there is a demand.

Sadly I missed the Kickstarter - too much else in life to think about - and only saw it once it was only available in softback.

It seems to only (?) have been advertised on Facebook in the British & Commonwealth Webbing forum.

Tim

Mike Cecil 04-08-22 18:43

Thanks Tim

Think I'll not wait for vol2 - if it turns out to be as good as it looks, I'll consider buying both vols later in HB. Good reference books never go out of style.

Mike

rob love 04-08-22 19:28

Nor do they go down in value. Instead of buying guns all those years ago, I should have concentrated on buying the hardcover collector grade books on the subject. Most of them, now out of print, have gone up exponentially.

Ed Storey 04-08-22 22:45

Reference Books

The price may have gone up exponentially, but just try and find someone willing to buy the book, as apparently the information is free on the internet.

rob love 04-08-22 23:04

There is an old saying Ed, that you get what you pay for.
Too many people will quote Wikopedia, which, while great for a general description of a subject, will often have inaccuracies in the data. I just dealt with one today, where a curator was quoting Wikopedia or some other external source, and I was quoting the Canadian Data Summary for the equipment. I'll stand behind the Cdn data summary or the manuals, or in the context of this thread, a well done book, any day over some of what is on the internet.