MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   CT 163097 Purchase (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13058)

Brad Mills 24-06-09 14:42

CT 163097 Purchase

5 Attachment(s)
Picked up another carrier. Interesting to note on this mk I that most of the drilled holes in the Armor for items such as the rear antenna mount, smoke discharger, bren stem mounts ect have been factory riveted to plug them up. Must have been late in the production cycle of mk I's. I have never noticed this before on mk I carriers.

Brad Mills 24-06-09 14:44

More Photos

2 Attachment(s)
Any idea what these brackets are for?
(the small bracket on the right fan shroud sheet metal and the larger one below the armored air intake)

Brad Mills 24-06-09 14:48

More...

5 Attachment(s)
More photos...

Brad Mills 24-06-09 14:51

A few more...

4 Attachment(s)
Last for now. Will get some photos of all the spare bits that came with her...

Came with a complete mk II spare road wheel mount as well.

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 24-06-09 15:36

Oustanding, Brad! :thup:

Jordan Baker 24-06-09 18:08

Nice find

About the sheet metal strap under the air intake. Charlie Fitton was always going on about some brackte that heald the machete there. We could never find any pictures or reference in the parts manual. Perhaps that is what it is for

Bruce Parker (RIP) 24-06-09 18:42

Motrar I bet

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMills (Post 115732)
Picked up another carrier. Interesting to note on this mk I that most of the drilled holes in the Armor for items such as the rear antenna mount, smoke discharger, bren stem mounts ect have been factory riveted to plug them up. Must have been late in the production cycle of mk I's. I have never noticed this before on mk I carriers.

Brad, does your new beast have a data plate? If it does, I bet it says it's a Mk.II (not a Mk.II* though). "Mk.II" was the name given to mortar carriers and all the ones I've seen have Mk.1* armour with the extra holes riveted shut as per yours. That might explain the extra brackets too.

kevin powles 24-06-09 18:56

mortar carrier.

Hi Brad, Thats a 3" mortar carrier for sure.

Brad Mills 24-06-09 20:34

Interesting

Well thats something. Never thought it was a mortar carrier, that would explain some of the stranger brackets that came with her as well as all the extra rivets in the hull. Even the holes for the wooden shooting rests are rivited (most of them it seems). The holes in the rear fenders are there for the radio mounting tray though.

Sadly it is missing its data plate on the hull behind the driver.

So basically its a complete mk I* (upper and lower) but modified by riveting the essential mk I* holes to make it a mk II ?

I will have to do some more sorting tonight when I get home.

ron 25-06-09 01:06

Nre Toy

Hi Brad,
What a nice find, congratulations, it will be interesting to watch your progress with this one , well done,
Regards Ron.

greg anderson (RIP) 25-06-09 04:17

mortar carrier

My mortar carrier has these holes riveted including those for antenna bracket -seems mortar carrier was not intended to carry a radio -the mortar is mounted on the back armor -no space for battery box there -also there would be holes for mounting the tripod and base plate -they had brackets on inside fenders to hold mortar bombs -Greg

Brad Mills 27-06-09 02:51

2 Attachment(s)
A few other things I noticed on this carrier, first the rear deck, the holes for the clips that hold the Boys Rifle monopod are riveted closed! As all the other holes for mk I stuff are riveted as well. Interesting the way these were manufactured.

The deck is in poor condition, but enough remains to simply make some reproductions. Photos below show the rear deck plus a close up of the rivets

Brad Mills 27-06-09 02:54

Another mystery part

1 Attachment(s)
Not so sure what bracket is for...any suggestions?

Brad Mills 27-06-09 02:57

Ammo basket

4 Attachment(s)
In the pile of items that came with the carrier was the left front ammo bin, I have just placed it in its position for the photos.

Brad Mills 27-06-09 03:00

1 Attachment(s)
This precious little bit was in the pile as well. Too bad I don't have a use for it on this carrier :-)

RichardT10829 27-06-09 11:32

is that for a smoke discharger brad ? if so i need one if you ever decide to sell it.

congrats on yet another fantastic carrier !

Rich