MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lynx1 No.23 Home! (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29787)

Harry Moon 28-01-19 01:50

Lynx1 No.23 Home!

1 Attachment(s)
Kept up an honest 80kph, Now for some TLC! (rumours to the effect that it completed thev trip on a deck are true, operator error no harm done.)

Harry Moon 28-01-19 02:30

Some warm up laps before heading home

https://youtu.be/LJE9ESvDPdo

Bob Carriere 28-01-19 02:41

Congrats Harry.

...and the asylum fills up.......

Bruce Parker (RIP) 28-01-19 03:02

Harry, welcome to the fraternity of Canadian wheeled armour owners. A small and distinguished group.

You are by now aware of that euphoric feeling you get once you're finally committed to the deal and bring the beautiful thing home.

Congrats!!!

Hanno Spoelstra 29-01-19 22:40

Harry,

What a great catch - congrats!

Hanno

rob love 29-01-19 23:07

Very jealous....nice piece.

Peter Duggan 30-01-19 04:35

Hull number

Harry,

Great looking machine, sounds like it is a very early Lynx. Do you have the hull number ?
Peter

David Herbert 30-01-19 17:19

Peter,

Possibly #23 ? Just a wild guess !

David

lynx42 31-01-19 00:32

Well Done George.

1 Attachment(s)
Well done George, I am looking forward to the day I drive mine out of my shed for the first time. Nearly there, just a bit of ill health holding things up. I wonder how many will that make on the road world wide now?

This is hull no. 1726 which I have restored from a complete wreck. I lent it to a museum for a few months, so it also sat on 80km/h with out any problems..

Attachment 105258

Follow my restoration here.

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23906

I'll get back into it soon I hope.

Regards Rick.

Harry Moon 31-01-19 01:47

Lynx #23

went back and read every Lynx posting on MLU over the last month. I'm catching up fast. Been working on bits and pieces all week, its around 5 to 10 degrees Celsius, freezing my but off, wearing latex gloves for warmth not just to keep my hands clean.Found the serial number and yes it is #23.
hydraulic clutch but missing the original hydraulic throttle so its cable. I see the lynx2 had a mechanical throttle and a cable clutch, that would be an improvement but I've serviced it all and may rebuild the slave cylinder on the clutch, the leak is pretty bad. Going through it, making lists of the to do's. I'll get it all shaken down mechanically before repainting it.

rob love 31-01-19 02:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Moon (Post 257945)
5 to 10 degrees Celsius, freezing my but off, wearing latex gloves for warmth not just to keep my hands clean.

Hope you are not trying to get the sympathy vote. It was -42°C when I went to the truck this morning, but it has warmed up to a balmy -33°C now.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 31-01-19 03:01

Quote:

Been working on bits and pieces all week, its around 5 to 10 degrees Celsius, freezing my but off, wearing latex gloves for warmth not just to keep my hands clean.

Clean hands….give it up!!!

And 5 to 10 C is prime working weather. Any warmer and it gets uncomfortably hot, at least here on Ontario.

Harry Moon 31-01-19 03:53

cheep weather shots

I sympathize with you guys but I'm staying put! If I ever get to driving cross Canada in my CMP it will not be in the winter! On the news I see back east they were pouring Kerosene on railway tracks and lighting it up so the tracks wouldn't break! Yikes!

lynx42 31-01-19 07:56

I know we are getting off track here, but, last Friday, 25th January 2019 we had a top temperature here of 47.1c (119.76f) at 1.15pm. Yes it was a bit warm. The temp dropped 15c degrees in 12 minutes when a change came through a bit later. Currently now it is 23.7c. We just saw the heating of the rail lines over there on our news program. Stay warm and well folks.
Regards Rick.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 01-02-19 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynx42 (Post 257951)
I know we are getting off track here, but, last Friday, 25th January 2019 we had a top temperature here of 47.1c (119.76f) at 1.15pm. Yes it was a bit warm. The temp dropped 15c degrees in 12 minutes when a change came through a bit later. Currently now it is 23.7c. We just saw the heating of the rail lines over there on our news program. Stay warm and well folks.
Regards Rick.

I was bitching at -26C with a 50 km/hr wind when my buddy in Thunder Bay was all happy because the morning news said -45C and when he got out to his truck he was quite happy the dash thermometer (once it finally glowed enough for him to see it) said it was merely -34C. Nothing brightens your day more than that.

maple_leaf_eh 01-02-19 03:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynx42 (Post 257951)
... We just saw the heating of the rail lines over there on our news program. Stay warm and well folks.
Regards Rick.

North Americans have the same reaction when we see TV images of your bushfires.

chris vickery 01-02-19 04:24

It might be cold here but at least we don’t have to worry about the wee beasties

Harry Moon 01-02-19 17:26

I’m hijacking my own thread

1 Attachment(s)
Same season different winters

rob love 01-02-19 17:52

That might well be the no 1 reason, but it's posts like Harry's that is no.2

Quote:

its around 5 to 10 degrees Celsius, freezing my but off, wearing latex gloves for warmth not just to keep my hands clean.Found the serial number and yes it is #23.

Harry Moon 02-02-19 03:43

My apologies

No offence meant just the seasonal ribbing that I usually only inflict on distant workmates, but i"m retired now so up to no good all the time! :cheers:

Stefan Leegwater 03-02-19 14:30

Lynx Parts

4 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

Not much winter here, but am going through Dirks warehouse and find a lot of Lynx parts which we bought (the most) from Nordian Services Uk years ago with the CMP parts.

I have some parts listed now my website, there are lots more still on the shelves, if you need anything, please ask!

Kind regards,

Stefan
www.lwdparts.com

Harry Moon 03-02-19 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Leegwater (Post 258047)
Hi guys,

Not much winter here, but am going through Dirks warehouse and find a lot of Lynx parts which we bought (the most) from Nordian Services Uk years ago with the CMP parts.

I have some parts listed now my website, there are lots more still on the shelves, if you need anything, please ask!

Kind regards,

Stefan
www.lwdparts.com

Thank you, I'll look and thanks for the cables by the way, arrived safe and sound!

Harry Moon 28-08-19 01:07

Always something new to discover

3 Attachment(s)
Today while cleaning up the lynx after some heavy maintenance I went looking for the IHC stamp discussed on another thread. Found it with the number 30 stamped together. The presumably Ford stamps on the opposite side are 5 42 23. Hence the serial number 23. The IHC stamp and number suggests hull # 30 from them to Ford. But the real prize was a different set of stamps near the IHC marks. Clearly CF61782.

Harry Moon 28-08-19 01:12

New question

I had always reasoned that my Lynx never saw overseas service... according to my reference book, Armoured Acorn that number appears to be an European theatre census number.

Alastair Thomas 28-08-19 09:54

Numbers

Nice looking example, Harry.
Does anyone have a list of existing LynxIs? It could turn out that yours is the earliest remaining and mine the latest.
LynxI MkIII* #1920

David Dunlop 28-08-19 13:17

Hello Harry.

Ford of Canada built Universal Carriers had a WD Census Number stamped into the top edge of the vertical armour plate, along with some other data, directly in front of the driver. If the vehicle stayed in Canada, that number was never used but still there.

Perhaps Ford was doing the same think with its Lynx production?

David

Jordan Baker 28-08-19 14:13

All of the armoured vehicles were given their war department numbers by hull manufactures in Canada. This goes for the Universal Carrier, Lynx, Otter, Fox, Sexton, Ram and C15Ta

Harry Moon 28-08-19 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Baker (Post 262971)
All of the armoured vehicles were given their war department numbers by hull manufactures in Canada. This goes for the Universal Carrier, Lynx, Otter, Fox, Sexton, Ram and C15Ta

I didn't know that, interesting. So I wonder if the range of numbers cited in Armoured Acorn were for manufacturing or for in Theater marking? Any way of knowing if mine served overseas? And yes I am going to repaint my WD number to match.

Harry Moon 28-08-19 16:58

WD number

According to my reference in Armoured Acorn, to the best of the authors knowledge the first issued census number to a Lynx1 was CF61774, making , 61782 the 9th one with a census number....

Harry Moon 28-08-19 17:02

Lynx 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Thomas (Post 262969)
Nice looking example, Harry.
Does anyone have a list of existing LynxIs? It could turn out that yours is the earliest remaining and mine the latest.
LynxI MkIII* #1920

I believe Reg Hodgison in Edmonton has a Lynx1 as well. My census number was on the edge at the right side of the horizontal armour below the drivers visor. very faint and I missed it until i used a very bright flashlight.