MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Q: Hillegom (NL) liberated May 1945 by which units (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14802)

Hanno Spoelstra 31-05-10 11:29

Q: Hillegom (NL) liberated May 1945 by which units

Quote:

Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh (Post 130878)
Hanno, this business of studying old trucks has a different emotional impact when you put it that way. Which regiment(s)?

Terry, I wish I knew :o

Mind you, the western part of The Netherlands was only liberated after the German occupation forces surrendered. So there were no large operations conducted to take the West by force, it was more a matter of entering the area to show the people the Allies were taking control. Prime interest was to reinstate civilian control.

I will post a few pictures of vehicles with unit markings hoping someone can identify the unit(s).

Thanks,
Hanno

Hanno Spoelstra 31-05-10 11:37

1 Attachment(s)
The picture posted in Did Canadian army in ETO use 4x2 CMPs? does not show any markings, except proves that 4x2 15-cwt CMPs were used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 130869)
. . . as this picture shows the same type of CMP in May 1945. This definitely is a Canadian Army truck as only (a) Canadian unit(s) liberated my home town.

Hanno Spoelstra 31-05-10 11:39

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 131283)
I will post a few pictures of vehicles with unit markings hoping someone can identify the unit(s).

Picture of Provost Jeep, first Canadian vehicle to enter Hillegom on 7 May 1945. Unit sign "83". Can anyone tell which unit it belonged to? I am very bad at translating unit and formation signs. . .

Hanno Spoelstra 31-05-10 11:43

1 Attachment(s)
Staghound. Unit sign "44".

Hanno Spoelstra 31-05-10 11:45

1 Attachment(s)
Sherman Hybrid IC Firefly. Unit sign "174".

Mark W. Tonner 31-05-10 14:48

Re: Unit ID

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 131285)
Picture of Provost Jeep, first Canadian vehicle to enter Hillegom on 7 May 1945. Unit sign "83". Can anyone tell which unit it belonged to? I am very bad at translating unit and formation signs. . .

AoS Serial 83 with white bar above - No. 3 Provost Company, C. Pro. C. (Corps Troops)
Fmn Sign - I Cdn Corps

Mark W. Tonner 31-05-10 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 131286)
Staghound. Unit sign "44".

AoS Serial 44 with white bar above - 1st Armoured Car Regiment (Royal Canadian Dragoons), C.A.C. (Corps Troops)
Fmn Sign - I Cdn Corps

Mark W. Tonner 31-05-10 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 131287)
Sherman Hybrid IC Firefly. Unit sign "174".

AoS Serial 174 - 12th Armoured Regiment (Three Rivers Regiment), C.A.C. (1st Cdn Armd Bde)

Hanno Spoelstra 31-05-10 21:27

Thanks Mark!

Now I need to figure out how & when these units operated in the western part of Holland.

Hanno

Hanno Spoelstra 31-05-10 21:33

4 Attachment(s)
Some pictures of the liberation parade on 5 May this year:

Mark W. Tonner 31-05-10 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 131308)
Thanks Mark!

Now I need to figure out how & when these units operated in the western part of Holland.

Hanno

Hanno;

The answer is on this forum somewhere, I remember responding to the same question before. Elements of the I Canadian Corps began crossing the Grebbe Line into the Western Netherlands the morning of 7th May 1945, when the 49th (West Riding) Infantry Division took over the 88th German Corps' area about Utrecht, extending from the Ijsselmeer to the Lek. On the morning of 8th May 1945, 1st Canadian Infantry Division took control of the 30th German Corps' area in the remaining territory to the west.

Cheers

Hanno Spoelstra 02-06-10 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark W. Tonner (Post 131319)
The answer is on this forum somewhere, I remember responding to the same question before. Elements of the I Canadian Corps began crossing the Grebbe Line into the Western Netherlands the morning of 7th May 1945, when the 49th (West Riding) Infantry Division took over the 88th German Corps' area about Utrecht, extending from the Ijsselmeer to the Lek. On the morning of 8th May 1945, 1st Canadian Infantry Division took control of the 30th German Corps' area in the remaining territory to the west.

Mark, excellent!

This will help my search tremendously.

Thanks!

Hanno

Mark W. Tonner 02-06-10 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 131396)
Mark, excellent!

This will help my search tremendously.

Thanks!

Hanno

Hi Hanno;

Some more notes from an earlier post regarding this topic can be found on page 2 of the thread entitled: 'GM Foxes in N.West Europe' in the Armour Forum, located here: http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/showthread.php?p=106087&highlight=Riding#post106087

Cheers

Alex van de Wetering 02-06-10 23:00

Hanno,
great to see some liberation shots from our area!

Alex

Little Jo 15-06-10 05:11

Hillegom Holland

Hi

I was born in Hillegom and was 3 years of age when the town was liberated by Canadian troops. My aunty in Holland has a book about the 4 years of occupation by German Forces. In the book there are some photographs that shows the Canadian Troops arriving in the town. There is even a street scene photo of towns folk showing me as a 3 year old with my 12 year old aunty.

I have always been told by family that it was the canadian Forces that first entered and liberated the town.

Hope that helps, Cheers

Little Jo

Bob Moseley (RIP) 15-06-10 07:10

Welcome Little Jo

Hi all - Jo is my latest recruit to join MLU. Have known him through work in my previous life. Welcome Little (yea right) Jo and be prepared to be infected by anything green pretty soon.

Bob

Hanno Spoelstra 27-04-15 20:31

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 131285)
Picture of Provost Jeep, first Canadian vehicle to enter Hillegom on 7 May 1945. Unit sign "83".

Another picture of the same Jeep, thanks to Mark we know it belonged to No. 3 Provost Company, C. Pro. C. (Corps Troops), I Cdn Corps

Attachment 73028

Hanno Spoelstra 05-05-15 21:22

1 Attachment(s)
Another liberation parade on 5 May this year, part of the Bollenstreek Liberation Tour. Great crowd in Hillegom!

H.

Attachment 73230

Alex van de Wetering 05-05-15 23:25

2 Attachment(s)
Hanno, now you know why I was pointing at the building...

Alex

Hanno Spoelstra 06-05-15 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering (Post 209064)
Hanno, now you know why I was pointing at the building...

Alex, excellent "Then & Now" photography :thup2:

Thanks a lot!

Hanno

Alex van de Wetering 06-05-15 22:37

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Alex, excellent "Then & Now" photography
Well, it wasn't easy with such a huge amount of spectators! Fantastic. It put a smile on my face....especially when you consider that every year there is a discussion about whether or not to celebrate the liberation, more than 70 years after the fact!

Here's two more....I am not sure if these are better placed in this thread or in the then and now thread, but I will leave that up to you :salute:

Alex

Hanno Spoelstra 18-05-20 17:53

Windsor carrier in Hillegom

1 Attachment(s)
Alex,

Here is the next one we should take a then & now picture of: a Windsor carrier in Hillegom.

Captioned: “At the Leidsestraat a tank stops to talk to bystanders.”

Do I see a Maple Leaf unit sign on the left-hand fender?

Attachment 114157

Alex van de Wetering 18-05-20 22:46

Quote:

Captioned: “At the Leidsestraat a tank stops to talk to bystanders.”
That's right around the corner from your house, isn't it? The building in the background on the left is the building where the Tatra used to sit years ago?

Quote:

Do I see a Maple Leaf unit sign on the left-hand fender?
Polar bears maybe?

Alex

Mark W. Tonner 19-05-20 00:40

Re: marking on carrier

Hanno, Alex, - The carrier belongs to the 49th (British) Reconnaissance Regiment, RAC, of the 49th (British)(West Riding) Infantry Division. 49th (British)(West Riding) Infantry Division was under command, and control of Headquarters I Canadian Corps at this time.

Hanno Spoelstra 19-05-20 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark W. Tonner (Post 269679)
Hanno, Alex, - The carrier belongs to the 49th (British) Reconnaissance Regiment, RAC, of the 49th (British)(West Riding) Infantry Division. 49th (British)(West Riding) Infantry Division was under command, and control of Headquarters I Canadian Corps at this time.

Thanks Mark, so it is another Polar Bears Windsor.

I have yet to find a Windsor Carrier in Canadian army service....

Hanno Spoelstra 19-05-20 22:10

Leidsestraat 83, Hillegom

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering (Post 269674)
That's right around the corner from your house, isn't it? The building in the background on the left is the building where the Tatra used to sit years ago?

Alex, I think is a bit further more up the road. Note the houses on the right side of the road. The typical bulb storage building on the left is obscured from view.

Attachment 114167 Attachment 114168

Alex van de Wetering 23-05-20 11:13

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Alex, I think is a bit further more up the road. Note the houses on the right side of the road. The typical bulb storage building on the left is obscured from view.
Well done Hanno!

Quote:

I have yet to find a Windsor Carrier in Canadian army service....
Here is one in Den Haag 1945......sadly not the full vehicle is visible, but it does show a maple leaf on the back.
source:https://haagsgemeentearchief.nl/medi...beeldcollectie