MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Carrier reproductions (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20829)

Rick DeBruyn 25-08-13 00:26

Carrier reproductions

3 Attachment(s)
After many hours of measuring fitting cutting, re-measuring re-cutting & re-fitting and even a third time...I believe we've finally produced front armour for the FUC that is going to be as close as I think one can get to the original. It will be made from 3/8 mild steel, have all rivet and bolt holes cut, as well as the vision slots cut. I've fit the Mk2 plates to my carrier and I'm happy with the results. Edge grinding will be required to fit up the plates. counter sinking will also need to be done on the many holes.

The plates were measured up from the carriers I have (both Mk1 & Mk2). I've attempted to be as accurate as possible with the carriers I have, but be aware that there might be slight hole alignment differences to your carrier.

Plate pickup is available in Edmonton or Three Hills Alberta, you will need to advise me at order which location you prefer. The order is going in on Tuesday August 27 so contact me ASAP. I know some of you have expressed interest in the past however I'm not sure if your needs are still the same...so for accuracy of those still wanting plates please express interest by an email again by the 27th.

The costs for Mk1 complete is $520.00 and Mk 2 $460.00. See attached for details.

Email or call me with any question. Rick Debruyn

Stewart Loy 25-08-13 02:16

Nice product!

Rick,

You have a nice product there - well done.

Stewart

Michael R. 25-08-13 04:43

good work

1 Attachment(s)
Good work Rick.
Did I miss the smaller upper portion of the aperture plate?

Mrs Vampire 25-08-13 06:12

Fabulous effort . :note:

maple_leaf_eh 25-08-13 18:30

Good initiative. Too bad (or maybe not), I don't have a carrier in need of front armour.

RichardT10829 25-08-13 18:41

Nice that the lists have come to fruition after the efforts put in by the few across the globe.

Plenty of rivets to set folks and I will shamelessly plug my snaps again hehehehe.

Hans Mulder 27-08-13 18:48

I'll need a complete set of armour for the frankencarrier, but not just yet...I have to undo some other modifications first.

RichCam 03-09-13 18:01

Hello Rick,
Would you mind putting together a quote for the following part#'s?
CTL 11999, CTL 12780D, CTL 3885D & 12784D - we are missing these pieces of upper armour from our Huntsville Legion MkII carrier. My apologies for missing the deadline, I was away on vacation. I can arrange for freight from Alberta to Ontario.
Regards, Richard Hatkoski

RichCam 18-09-13 19:51

Upper Armour Shipment to Ontario

Guys,

I've order 3 pieces of upper armour from Rick and I need them shipped to my location near Bracebridge, Ontario. Is there anyone else out there that has ordered armour from Rick and needs it shipped to Ontario as well?

Rick said that he would bundle the orders together for shipment. I have a warehouse dock and forklift here so I can unload either a flatbed or van style semi-trailer.

Let me know if you want to share the freight costs.

Cheers, Richard

RichCam 14-11-13 02:44

Reproduction Armour Installed

5 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Last weekend, our crew installed 3 pieces of MkII frontal armour on the Huntsville Legion Bren Carrier. Instead of rivets, we used 1" long Spaenaur carriage bolts and corresponding 3/8" acorn nuts. The installation was fairly straightforward once we completed "fit" grinding. It was nice to work in a well equipped, warm garage after making the 6km transit from the Huntsville Legion where the carrier is stored in it's enclosure. After letting the paint dry, we were able to scoot it back to the Legion on Sunday in time for Monday's Remembrance Day parade. Thanks Rick for getting our order finished and mailed (via Canada Post) such that we had time to install. A couple of more pieces to go and we will have the frontal armour complete.

Cheers!

RichardT10829 14-11-13 11:52

Rich, you not want to rivet it up ?

RichCam 14-11-13 18:06

Hello Richard,

We would have liked to rivet the armour but we only had 1 afternoon to get it fitted and only that evening to get it painted. It was a tight schedule and the Legion is more concerned about the "look" rather than a historically "correct" carrier refurbishment. I still owe you an email about rivets for my carrier. I'm working on engines and transmission at the moment.

Regards,

Marc Montgomery 23-11-13 15:21

Rick, just add my congrats to others on this repro..typical component needed to complete restos and get more of these back into shape and seen by the public

David Dunlop 25-01-22 19:08

Thought it might be worthwhile to bring this thread forward.

David