MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Wanted: Bren carrier oil cooler thermostat (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30568)

paul visser 18-10-19 19:31

Bren carrier oil cooler valve

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, any one out there who can help me with a complete oil cooler valve, housing and lines. like in the photo. its for a mk1 carrier

Petr Brezina 18-10-19 19:51

Paul, its not a thermostat, its a relief valve.

paul visser 18-10-19 20:14

oeps, yes its a valve. Thank's Petr :)

Lynn Eades 18-10-19 21:28

Or a Bypass valve. It lets the oil bypass the cooler when the oil is cold and thick. The valve is set with a 2.5 psi differential, without going to the manual.

Glen Plumridge 20-10-19 04:00

General info question.

Can you run the oil through the cooler circuit without that bypass valve being in place?

Not an easy part to find.

Lynn Eades 20-10-19 06:34

Yes, I believe you could because the oil is different today. I say that with reservation because the type of oil multigrade versus mono and the choice of grade and climate will have a bearing.
Important: You need to make sure everything is in order so that you get an oil flow. at the in and out ports.

Glen Plumridge 20-10-19 09:05

Being in Australia means my oil will never get cold and thick, so that's a plus.

Worth putting the oil pressure sender onto the input side of the oil flow from the cooler then I reckon. Just to keep a closer eye on it.

Lynn Eades 20-10-19 10:44

Glen, What sort of carrier do you have? The English and Canadian carriers use a fitting that directs a percentage of the oil to the cooler and lets some continue through the block galleries, while the Australian carriers have a plug screwed into the block in the cross drilling that makes the full flow of oil go through the cooler (or the bypass valve) The difference is in the fittings that screw into the block. The CTL7142 fitting is the restrictor in the riveted carrier engines

Glen Plumridge 20-10-19 10:56

I have an LP2A.
So the full plugging of the cross passage way to direct all oil through to the cooler.

Not having found a bypass valve for mine, I was going to run the full oil flow directly through the cooler.
My main concern was if the oil pump in the sump had the ability to move all the oil through the cooler system efficiently.

Lynn Eades 21-10-19 07:25

Glen, I believe the cross drilling plug has a hole in it to allow a partial flow direct to the gallery, but I am not sure about the details on the LP2/ 2a, so you need an answer from someone who knows their way around them.
Does anybody know if there is a reference to this plug/restrictor in the parts book? Anyone know the details?

Andrew Rowe 21-10-19 19:25

By memory the "cross plug" has something like a 4-5mm hole in it . I think this was in case the oil bypass failed or got blocked you still had oil directed to the crankshaft bearings. I had heard that running an oil cooler has about an extra 15% cooling ratio on the oil temperature for an engine.....Hot Aussie climate , maybe good idea if working your Carrier, Cheers Andrew.