MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   service number question (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22288)

hunter67 04-07-14 01:33

service number question on Canadian Memorial Cross

i was wondering if anyone can tell me what rank AB(NQ) is and service number ending with E
thanks for any info

Dan Martel 05-07-14 00:53

In the Navy, an AB is an Able Seamen.

Maybe some further context of what you're looking for might help others in finding an answer for you. Are you asking about Army ranks or ranks for another Service? Female or male service member? The details of the person's service would help too. I'm assuming the time period is the Second World War.

The more information you can provide, the better the chances are of someone being able to help you find your answer.

Cheers,
Dan.

hunter67 05-07-14 02:03

memorial cross info

Thanks Dan for the info but i have a early EIIR canadian memorial cross and on the back is AB(NQ) and the soldiers name his service number is 11248E i find this a strange service number and cant find any info on him ...any ideas ?

hunter67 05-07-14 02:28

thanks Chris
all the service numbers i come across all have the letter in front of the service number this one has it at the back ???

hunter67 05-07-14 02:30

1 Attachment(s)
here is a picture of the medal! i found its a early EIIR from the design .

hunter67 05-07-14 02:35

1 Attachment(s)
front picture of memorial cross

chris vickery 05-07-14 02:38

Escuse my last, I have done a bit of Internet research.
It is interesting to note that AB/NQ is a qualification of the Royal Austrailian Navy and reference is made to being on station in Newfoundland.
I think AB is the eqilavent of NQ in RAN service
If you are not aware, this cross was awarded to Mothers who lost a son or spouse in military service.
The strange serial number may be because it is following another countries system rather than the one we are used to.

hunter67 05-07-14 02:41

thanks for the great info Chris . i do find it strange being a Canadian Memorial cross .. when he is Australian....

chris vickery 05-07-14 02:52

I may be right off the mark, I did not realize that there were different Memorial Crosses issued. I would think that indeed the one you show is Canadian because of the Maple Leafs shown.

lynx42 05-07-14 08:54

I do not think that the Number 11248E is a service number BUT the number is the registered number of the Memorial Cross. The Mothers Badges I have all have the registered issue number not the service number on the reverse. That number helps to identify the recipient.

Have you tried to locate the service history of AB(NQ) D O Peyton?

Regards Rick.

Dan Martel 05-07-14 20:23

So the clues we have are:

1) Member of the Royal Canadian Navy
2) Death was post February 1952 (Elizabeth II)
3) Death as a result of military action

I'm thinking of checking the list of sailors who were killed in the latter stages of the Korean War.

I would also guess that NQ might mean 'No Qualification' or 'Not Qualified,' meaning that he was not yet trained in a specific trade. But, as I say, this is just a guess on my part.

Cheers,
Dan.

Mike Cecil 06-07-14 01:54

The abbreviation for a member of the RAN would be:

AB = Able Seaman

NQ = Navigation Qualification/Navigation Qualified that is, has passed the Long Navigation Course, which I understand was both nearshore/inshore and open ocean navigation.

As most Commonwealth navies (RAN, RN, RCN, RNZN, etc) operated under similar structures, I would assume the abbreviations in this case would be the same.

Mike C

lynx42 06-07-14 01:57

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lynx42 (Post 197387)
I do not think that the Number 11248E is a service number BUT the number is the registered number of the Memorial Cross. The Mothers Badges I have all have the registered issue number not the service number on the reverse. That number helps to identify the recipient.

Have you tried to locate the service history of AB(NQ) D O Peyton?

Regards Rick.

Here are a face and reverse of a Mothers badge in Australia. Note the number is for the badge not a service number.
Attachment 66267

Attachment 66268

Regards Rick.

hunter67 06-07-14 22:19

thanks for the info guys . i have tried to find him but no luck . i got this medal from a vet who collect and wanted to sell it so i put it on eBay . he picked it up at a yard sale!! thanks again for the info