MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   George "Buzz" Beurling (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3566)

Jon Skagfeld 13-03-05 17:21

George "Buzz" Beurling

Since the year 2005 is officially designated as the Year of the Veteran, I thought that I'd encapsulate a short biography of a true Canadian veteran hero, whose name and exploits probably escape most Canadians reading this thread.

Born in 1921 in Verdun, PQ, Beurling was credited with 33 1/3 victories during WW II, putting him among the top 10 Allied aces.

He also was awarded the DSO, DFC and DFM*.

During his tour of duty at Takali airfield in Malta with 249 Sqn, he shot down 27 enemy aircraft in 14 days!

After the war, he was recruited by the Haganah and Machal via Shulemson to fight for the new state of Israel.

En route to his mission, at Urbe airfield, in Italy, during a routine flight check, his Noorduyn Norseman burst into flames and crashed near the river Tiber. No satisfactory explanation was ever given for this crash.

At first buried near Rome, his remains were disinterred and now rest at Mount Carmel in the Zahal Cemetary, Israel.

How many Canadians can recall this Spitfire pilot, who was feted by McKenzie King (Canadian Prime Minister at the time), and who was incorrectly named "Screwball" Beurling?

Year of the Veteran...Pause for thought...Respice In Pacem...

Keith Webb 13-03-05 17:28

Screwball

Not just Canadians remembering him, Jon, he was one of my heroes as I grew up. It was the exploits of men like him who inspired me to pursue the aviation (and other military) passions I have today.

He was absolutely outstanding.

chris vickery 13-03-05 22:34

Jon, read the book on Buzz's exploits. I think I was in about grade 6 or 7 at the time and was (still am) fascinated by his ability and record earned in WW2.
Unfortunately I am a victim of our poor history education in this country, most of my military history knowledge learned on my own.
He is a true hero.
BTW, I believe the book was titled "Hero"

Brian Gough 13-03-05 22:54

Malta Spitfire

one good book is:

"Malta Spitfire - The Buzz Beurling Story - Canada's World War II Daredevil Pilot" by George Beurling with Leslie Roberts. ISBN 0-14-30.1237-1

I will post info on another Beurling book soon (when I find it).

Brian

Garry Shipton (RIP) 14-03-05 01:12

Buzz Beurling

I have his book somewhere.My brother saw hin at his high school in Verdun during a Victory Bond drive during the war.Beurling Avenue in Verdun is named after him.He and Benny Goodman,the orchestra leader have something in common.They both died in a Norseman.

Art Johnson 14-03-05 03:06

Buz Beurling

I have a tape of an interview with Buz's young brother at the Hamilton Airshow. The brother contends that Buz and other fighter pilots were considered to be Hot Doggers by the RCAF establishment and were frozen out of flying jobs when they returned from the war.

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 14-03-05 03:55

Re: Buz Beurling

Quote:

Originally posted by Art Johnson
I have a tape of an interview with Buz's young brother at the Hamilton Airshow. The brother contends that Buz and other fighter pilots were considered to be Hot Doggers by the RCAF establishment and were frozen out of flying jobs when they returned from the war.
Speaking not quite facetiously, Beurling was the kind of guy you want to keep in a cage between wars, but can't afford to do without when the shit hits the fan. History is riddled with them.

Richard Notton 14-03-05 23:31

Re: Re: Buz Beurling

Quote:

Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Speaking not quite facetiously, Beurling was the kind of guy you want to keep in a cage between wars, but can't afford to do without when the shit hits the fan. History is riddled with them.
Paddy Maine, to name another.

R.

Richard Farrant 14-03-05 23:58

Re: Buzz Beurling

Quote:

Originally posted by Garry Shipton
.He and Benny Goodman,the orchestra leader have something in common.They both died in a Norseman.
Garry,

Glen Miller died in the Norseman.

Richard

Art Johnson 15-03-05 05:16

C 64 Norseman

The Norseman was a Canadian Aircraft manufactured in Montreal.

http://www.military.cz/usa/air/war/t...c64/c64_en.htm

Garry Shipton (RIP) 15-03-05 14:36

Re: Re: Buzz Beurling

Quote:

Originally posted by Richard Farrant
Garry,

Glen Miller died in the Norseman.

Richard

Oops!A blurb on my part.Funny,I just watched Glenn Millers' orchestra Sunday on PBS.

Brian Gough 16-03-05 19:14

"Hero" - another Beurling book

The other book on Beurling is "Hero - The Buzz Beurling Story" by Brian Nolan, 1981 ISBN 0-919630-40-5.

Garry, here in Oshawa there is also a Beurling Avenue, along with other street names such as Finucane St., Bader Ave., Cunningham Ave., Malan Ave and Chadburn Street.

Brian

Jon Skagfeld 16-03-05 22:13

Yes, Brian...Nolan is the same author who wrote/co-wrote "Tested Mettle" and "Tarnished Brass".

cletrac (RIP) 11-04-05 14:54

Jon--In fact, Beurling was not piloting "his" Norseman when it crashed. I believe it was flown by an ex-Luftwaffe pilot.

Jon Skagfeld 11-04-05 15:27

Dave...thanks for the feedback but, according to the book "Hero"...

"George Beurling was one of the pilots picked to check out one of the three aircraft. He was paired with a pilot named Leonard Cohen, an English Jew, who had served in Malta as a RAF pilot during the war."

Further..."...there is no certainty as to which of the two was in the left-hand side where the captain of a flight is seated."

Seems like as in life, his death was controversial.