MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Flame Throwers, Fuel Tank. WASP? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5419)

Brock J 19-01-06 06:02

Flame Throwers, Fuel Tank. WASP?

I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what exactly I have here. Bear with me , I am trying to attach some pics. I believe the fuel tank is UC WASP, but I don't know which model. I am not sure if there were many WASP variants. The flame guns are both different variations, but I think both belong to carriers. I have seen a flame unit similar to these ones in Ottawa, but even the one in the museum wasn't identical to either of these. Are there any WASP rig restorations or TM's available that would help me identify the various pieces that I have? If anyone has any info, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Thanks -- You will find pictures below

\/

cliff 19-01-06 06:56

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of a flame thower carrier from the Polish Institute & Sikorsky Museum of London.

Cheers
Cliff

Alex Blair (RIP) 19-01-06 13:07

Re: Flame Throwers, Fuel Tank. WASP?

Quote:

Originally posted by B Jolliffe
I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what exactly I have here. Bear with me , I am trying to attach some pics. I believe the fuel tank is UC WASP, but I don't know which model. I am not sure if there were many WASP variants. The flame guns are both different variations, but I think both belong to carriers. I have seen a flame unit similar to these ones in Ottawa, but even the one in the museum wasn't identical to either of these. Are there any WASP rig restorations or TM's available that would help me identify the various pieces that I have? If anyone has any info, I would appreciate it. Thanks
See anything you like here??
If so contact me off line..

#61: 423 pages FUC-03 FORD MOTOR COMPANY OF CANADA, CARRIER, UNIVERSAL Mk. I and Mk. II. Illustrated Parts Catalogue 1941-44. Reissued May '44.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#62: 200 pages UC Universal Carrier Mk. I, Operators Maintenance Handbook, July '43, Canadian.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#63: 290 pages UC-F1 Universal Carrier, Mk. I, Workshop Manual, Nov. '42, Canadian.

#64: 96 pages UC-OM1 Carrier, Universal No. 2, Mk.2, Operator's Manual, September '44.

#64A: 66Pages CAMT 7-32, Universal Carrier, Flamethrower, transportable. (IROQUOIS) Mounted in Universal Carrier. 1956 (Illustrated)

Mark W. Tonner 19-01-06 14:20

Maybe this will help, it is a thread on the WASP located elsewhere on this forum, go here

Cheers

Brock J 19-01-06 18:28

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the units I have. ... Hope this works. ... Ahhh a picture. Thanks for your help Geoff. Thanks guys, for your rapid responses already. These units do not look like anything I can find in the posts so far. Thanks Cliff, the fuel tank is very similar to the single one in the pic you posted. So does this make the fuel tank off a MKIIC ? ....Brock

Brock J 19-01-06 19:19

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of the fuel tank I have. I believe it belongs to a MK II C. Any further info would be appreciated. Thanks .....Brock

Brock J 07-02-06 03:16

1 Attachment(s)
I am still looking for any info on these flame thrower units. I Think these flame guns are post war variations, but I'm not sure. Has anyone ever put together a WASP unit? Any documentation on flame gun variants? Is there any interest in these items? I have a few other pieces that belong to them; a couple of hoses and igniter coils. I was hoping to find out more details on this kit. Any thoughts on the value of these pieces? I would like to know more history on these uncommon tactical pieces. Thanks for any info or guidance you can provide.

Alex Blair (RIP) 07-02-06 14:26

Flame Guns..

Quote:

Originally posted by Brock J
Here is a pic of the units I have. ... Hope this works. ... Ahhh a picture. Thanks for your help Geoff. Thanks guys, for your rapid responses already. These units do not look like anything I can find in the posts so far. Thanks Cliff, the fuel tank is very similar to the single one in the pic you posted. So does this make the fuel tank off a MKIIC ? ....Brock
Brock..The projectors shown are out of the Iroquois flame thrower..
These projectors mounted in the Mark l* and the Mark ll are known as the Iroquois....
These were post WWll ,and in use in the '50's with the Canadian army..A close support infantry weapon,good for 10-15 shots at max 200 Yards range...

I indicated the manuals on a previous posting.

Hanno Spoelstra 07-02-06 14:44

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Brock J
Here is a photo of the fuel tank I have. I believe it belongs to a MK II C.
Attachment 124999

Comparing it with the one pictured below, I think you are right.
http://dana-nield.com/vimy/images/UN...p/UNIVER22.JPG
Source: http://dana-nield.com/vimy

But as far as I can see the flame guns are different than the ones used on the Ronson or Wasp.

Hope this helps,
Hanno

Alex Blair (RIP) 07-02-06 15:36

Re: Flame Guns..

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Blair
Brock..The projectors shown are out of the Iroquois flame thrower..
These projectors mounted in the Mark l* and the Mark ll are known as the Iroquois....
These were post WWll ,and in use in the '50's with the Canadian army..A close support infantry weapon,good for 10-15 shots at max 200 Yards range...

I indicated the manuals on a previous posting.

Flame gun..Iroquois....

Alex Blair (RIP) 07-02-06 15:39

Re: Re: Flame Guns..

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Blair
Flame gun..Iroquois....
Flame gun ..Iroquois...style 2...
The tanks are the same as the WASP....

Hanno Spoelstra 04-10-21 15:18

“Wasp”(?) Flame Thrower up for auction

https://bid.switzersauction.com/EXTR...OWER_i43174304

Someone commented: “Not a Wasp. That's an Iroquois, post WW2.”

Hanno Spoelstra 04-10-21 17:20

1 Attachment(s)
It is dated 1953

Attachment 125515

rob love 04-10-21 17:35

Turnbull elevator also made the Cdn 60mm mortar in the late 50s.

One thing with Switzers Auctions lately: prices have gone up astronomically over the covid period. On top of the winning bid, you also pay a 15% premium and possibly another 15% HST, or 5% GST, depending on where you live. I suspect this one could get very high. A simple no1mk3 grenade cup recently sold for close to $2,000 on that site.

maple_leaf_eh 04-10-21 18:53

corrections to Switzer's description

Hanno and Rob

I have sold many tens of thousands of dollars through their shop in the past 5-7 years. I have found that the staff rely on consignees for information on unusual pieces. This is likely the case. When I see spelling mistakes or gross errors, I send them a polite correction note, and things usually get fixed. The best contact is Paul Switzer himself.

TW

Hanno Spoelstra 04-10-21 20:51

It is up to the seller and the auction house to provide accurate descriptions. And a prospective buyer should do his due diligence.

I think this is the same flame thrower as advertised above: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5419

Hanno Spoelstra 27-10-21 13:06

"extremely rare, canadian no 1 mk 1 iroquois flame thrower"

4 Attachment(s)
For future reference. Topic merged with earlier thread.

Ref. https://bid.switzersauction.com/EXTR...OWER_i43174304

"SOLD at 2021 Oct 16 for 9,500.00CAD to qwert1985 + (1,425.00) buyer's premium + applicable fees & taxes."

Quote:

CANADIAN NO 1 MK 1 IROQUOIS FLAME THROWER. SERIAL # P95. MANUFACTURED BY TURNBULL ELEVATOR 1953. WWII AND 1950'S ISSUE, MOUNTED ON A UNIVERSAL CARRIER. COMES WITH STORAGE/TRANSIT CASE, FLAME THROWER, HOSES, MODERN SHACKLES, MOUNTING PARTS, AND A WWII FUEL TANK, A COPY OF THE EXTREMELY RARE AND VALUABLE OPERATION/INSTALLATION MANUAL. SHOWS SOME RUST, HANDLING MARKS AND FINISH WEAR. PLEASE SEE PHOTOS. VERY FEW KNOWN TO EXIST, ONE WWII EXAMPLE IS AT THE CANADIAN WAR MUSEUM, IT IS A WASP IIC, WE DON'T KNOW OF ANOTHER IROQUOIS CONFIGURATION IN NORTH AMERICA.
PICK UP ONLY CAN BE ARRANGED IN SHARON, BETWEEN MONDAY OCT 18TH - WEDNESDAY OCT 27TH. ADRRESS WILL BE GIVEN TO WINNER.

Attachment 125511 Attachment 125512 Attachment 125513 Attachment 125514

Hanno Spoelstra 27-10-21 13:13

Flamethrower, Transportable, CDN No.1 MK1

1 Attachment(s)
Found this picture of the cover of the Iroquois training manual:

Attachment 125516

edstorey 27-10-21 14:52

Iroquois Flame Thrower Documents

3 Attachment(s)
Besides the 1954 CAMT 7-32 there was also the 1956 Canadian Ordnance Catalogue - Section 1M - Miscellaneous Weapons - Bomb-Throwers, Flame Throwers, Mortars, Projectors and the 1954 CW-3 Canadian Ordnance Catalogue - Parts Identification List - Flamethrower, Transportable, CDN No. 1, Mk 1.

Attachment 125517 Attachment 125518 Attachment 125519

Harry Moon 27-10-21 17:09

where did it go

I tried my best financially but didn't get it. I hope it ends up on here somewhere.

Hanno Spoelstra 27-10-21 20:14

ends up on here somewhere

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Moon (Post 282845)
I tried my best financially but didn't get it. I hope it ends up on here somewhere.

Where did it go? You'll have to try to find out who goes under the name "qwert1985"

Michael R. 08-11-21 17:35

Rattlesnake & Barracuda

1 Attachment(s)
Ronson, Rattlesnake & Barracuda.