MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   #5 & #7 M/H (Aust) Field Artillery Tractors (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26157)

cliff 14-08-16 03:04

#5 & #7 M/H (Aust) Field Artillery Tractors

2 Attachment(s)
In correspondence with a friend he sent me the photo below of a #5 M/H 6X6 FAT. Now these trucks were used to tow the 3inch 20cwt AA guns and once these guns were obsolete he believes the trucks were repurposed to other duties such as the Topographical trucks in the photo below.

Now can anyone help me with information on these #5 and #7 trucks? Photos would be handy but info like 'Did they have a winch?' etc would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance :thup2:

Attachment 84237 Attachment 84238

cliff 21-08-16 07:10

No One? Not even Mike Cecil :doh:

Oh well the search goes on. :thup2:

cliff 19-12-17 11:33

Please guys several said they would look up info and pics for me but no one has. Can I use this post as a prompt please? :thup2:

jack neville 19-12-17 12:15

Now that would be a cool truck to make.

I assume none exist.

Ron King 19-12-17 12:47

About 14 years ago my mum sold a 6x6 Studebaker tipper to a bloke.
My father had recently died.
He shows up with a semi trailer already fully loaded with 3 or 4 Marmon 6x6s one on top of the other.
None had winches.
It was the only time I have ever seen 6x6 Marmons.
They were in reasonable condition, but not much left of the original rear body work.
They had come from Tumut way near the snowy Mts.
He wanted me to load the Studebaker on top of the Marmons which were already stacked with a large forklift we had.
He got angry with me when I wanted no part of it and damaging the vehicles.
He ended up hiring a crane.
They went to Queensland somewhere.
Very rare trucks for Australia.

Lang 19-12-17 20:32

1 Attachment(s)
About 20 years ago I had a 6x6 Marmon breakdown truck.

it was fitted with a winch. It had a forest of levers in the cab.

I swapped it with Ken Hughes for a 1942 Chevrolet ute which I rebuilt for the big VJ convoy from Brisbane to Townsville. The Marmon was very complete and running and I imagine it would have gone to new home and not been scrapped with the picked over leavings of Ken's collection.

Lang

Attachment 96419

cliff 19-12-17 20:44

there never were a lot of the #5 & #7 gun tractors and when the 3in AA guns were obsolete they were repurposed into other things.

I have already built the cab and chassis in 1/35 scale and need details of the rear body before going any further.

I hope to display this with a resin 3in gun in the same scale alongside the LP3A M-H gun tractor with 18Ib gun which is ready to paint.

Cheers
Cliff :thup2:

Euan McDonald 19-12-17 23:23

6x6

5 Attachment(s)
This one had been around the melb club for 30 years to my knowledge. Past down the family to grandson Luke. Luke shared these pics a month ago on Facebook.

Mike Kelly 20-12-17 02:12

Ken

That belonged to Ken Morris. He used M-H just after the war in the logging game

cliff 21-12-17 06:47

Thanks Euan but those are of a later model and it is the rear wooden body of the #5 & #7 gun tractors that I am really after details on, as the first photo in my thread is the only one I have and it shows only the left hand side not the rear or right hand side of this unique truck